Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th March 2011, 12:33   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Made for India : How some foreign car manufacturers have adapted their cars for I

The detailed report by "Wildon" for my Polo has a few parts different for the Indian model -

1) B3E - Component parts set, complying with vehicle type for India, various parts - not sure which all components though.

2) B79 -Type approval India
3) 1L1 -Air cleaner for dusty regions - India specific air filter
4) 3B0 - Without additional child seat anchor - Indian safety norms does not call for standardized child seat specifications.
5) 5SD - Left exterior mirror, convex (India) - Some India specific modifications in the left mirror, but not sure what.
6) 8BF - Halogen headlight for driving on the left - Even the manual describes how to switch headlights for dirving on the right if you move countries.
7) 8TD - Rear fog light for driving on the left - India specific rear fog lamp (only on the right side of the back light)
8) 8Y2 - Horn for extreme demands - This is definitely India specific

9) 8Z6 - Hot country - Ha ha ha... India is hot.

Last edited by sadnabrina : 18th March 2011 at 12:36.
sadnabrina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 12:48   #77
BHPian

Default Re: Made for India : How some foreign car manufacturers have adapted their cars for I

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
The detailed report by "Wildon" for my Polo has a few parts different for the Indian model -

5) 5SD - Left exterior mirror, convex (India) - Some India specific modifications in the left mirror, but not sure what.
6) 8BF - Halogen headlight for driving on the left - Even the manual describes how to switch headlights for dirving on the right if you move countries.
7) 8TD - Rear fog light for driving on the left - India specific rear fog lamp (only on the right side of the back light)
Interesting. Any educational ideas what exactly these changes are?

Why should the left mirror be convex?
Can you paste what the manual says about switching headlights?
Point 7 is not clear about placement of fog light. Also what is the benefit of a fog light in the rear?

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 14:42   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Interesting. Any educational ideas what exactly these changes are?
Nope.

Quote:
The right one is also convex but the left one had "India" in brackets. AFAIK in India all rear view mirrors are convex. I am not sure about other countries, but the cars I drove in the US had mirrors which were less convex (gives you a less wide field of view than the local cars).

Quote:
Can you paste what the manual says about switching headlights?
Don't have the manual handy at this point. Will check once back home.

Quote:
Point 7 is not clear about placement of fog light. Also what is the benefit of a fog light in the rear?
The rear fog light saves you from being hit from the back in foggy driving conditions. The rear fog lights are bright red in color and are visible from quite a distance. They are brighgter than your regular brake lights. Thus the car tailgating you would be able to see you better. The rear fog lamp on Polo is on the right hand side (swift has it in the center below the bumper) integrated with the tail lamp cluster. The driver behind you would also be on the right side of his car and would be able to see your fog light straight ahead.
sadnabrina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 20:45   #79
BHPian

I remember reading long back that Accent got it's 'smiley' grill instead of the aggressive one abroad as Hyundai felt that Indians preferred the smiley one. I guess the aggressive grill was used in Accent Viva later.
pacman2881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 21:23   #80
BHPian

Fiat 1100 boot was modified (for PAL Padmini) to offer more space.

Morris Oxford/Landmaster boot was modified (for Ambassador Mk 1) to offer more space.

We have it in our genes. (The liking for big bOOts)

The success of DZire is the explanation.
Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 17:35   #81
BHPian

Read some days back on t-bhp i guess.
Swift front seats were designed for extra travel (about 240 mm) so that tall front passengers are comfortable inside the Swift.
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 17:49   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It aids while reversing. If its less convex, one should tilt it towards the ground more often.

In this case, mirror being convex, one can have a much better visibility of the ground as well as oncoming traffic.

Obviously, the 'left' mirror was made more convex, because Indian cars are RHD.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 18:23   #83
BHPian

Unless the size of the car itself has changed, how can the extra wide door cost more? If the metal was not used on the door then would it not be used in the body to compensate? Unless of course the quality/quantity of the metal in the body is way more..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post

1. Ford Ikon & Ford Fiesta Classic: Extra wide front doors so that it benefits Indian women who wear sarees, but this also led to a rise in cost of the front door, More metal, more cost .
rohing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 23:49   #84
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Something else I realised is very clearly India-specific. The material of the dashboard.
The dash has to spend lots of time in Indian sunshine. Material used is always very different from the European models, where sunshine is less and climate is cooler.
Excellent observation. This is true for other interior bits also.

It is totally cost cutting and in some cases, scant regard for safety.

The same factory in India uses ABS-PC (Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene Polycarbonate blend) or ABS parts for cars that are meant to be exported, while for the ones which are supposed to be delivered in India has PP (polypropylene) parts. PP parts are low cost, has inferior mechanical properties and surface finish.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 13:28   #85
BHPian

I know in Audi the CKD cars all have rough road suspension which is strictly meant for India.
i<3turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 14:31   #86
BHPian

1) Adding provisions for rough roads like a stronger suspension and higher ground clearance.
2) Removing the GPS gizmos in the car. We are still not entirely on GPS as they are in the US. Also it shaves of some price of the car with lesser electronics (I am expecting to be flamed for this point , we have Mapmyindia etc but still factory fitted navigation aids in the car are still not to be seen).
3) Better air filters to withstand more dust and heat and dirt.
4) Perhaps better airconditioning.
5) Limited sun-roof option to the highest end as a fancy thing. We have so much of sunlight that most of us don't need a special sunroof to flood the sun in. This is OK for countries where the sun is not seen for months together.
6) No convertible models. This has multiple reasons -
a) Dirt / dust /too much sunlight with top down.
b) If parked with the top down , you might see some living thing could be from a stray cat to a human camped inside for the night.
7) Loud horns...honking is the way of life here.
8) Attaching a "dikky" to a sporty hatch. It becomes a family car instantly.
9) Giving the least engine options. Confusing the consumer may not sell the car.
10) Make it cheap to fit the typical "Maruti 800" equation...hatch back should be close to three lakhs only , anything higher immediate raised eyebrows. Something with a dikky but looking like a Maruti upto 5 lakhs. Anything more and the buyer is a "khandaani raees" , "paisewaala seth" , "bade baap ka beta" etc etc. The etcetras can be imagined by folk who buy a good expensive car which is actually VFM but outside the Maruti equation
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:06   #87
BHPian

I am sorry I am joining this thread quite late but there are a few points I would like to add. Please excuse me if they have been repeated.

The adaptation for the Indian market is either driven by regulatory requirements or customer preferences.

1) The most important performance parameter for Indian customers is the Fuel Economy and this has to be certified by ARAI. Most manufacturers do extensive tuning to ensure that they get the best figures under Indian conditions/test cycles. In this process they also have to ensure that the vehicle is emission compliant as per India test cycle. Sometimes it might necessitate changes in the fuel injection tables and gear ratios to ensure that these targets are met. Also remember that india is one of the few countries where vehicles are driven to very high altitudes (Rohtang Pass is approx 4000m above sea level) and the fuel injection has to be tuned so that the engine is developing enough torque at that height.

2) The vehicle has to be adapted for RHD and this is simpler than this sounds. Some manufacturers may not have initially planned for volumes for RHD components and these might not be economically feasible to tool up at a later stage so we end up with LHD features like stalks on the wrong sides, incorrect positioning of the parking brake lever, etc. Other than this the suspension has to be tuned to adjust for road camber. Headlight beams are also different on LHD vehicles.

3) There might be changes required in the suspension setup to accomodate our bad roads and monster speed breakers.

4) A lot of the vehicles that sell in the C&D segment in India are used more as chauffeur driven premium vehicles in India. The vehicle which were originally designed as owner driven family vehicles have to be adapted for back seat comfort.

4) Color choices is one of things which is very market driven and most manufacturers adapt color palettes in consultation with local experts.

5) Obviously most manufacturers also make changes so that vehicles can be priced appropriately in this market and some of the high end features might be removed. Personally I would prefer the OEM Music systems and GPS systems with India specific maps.

AFAIK premium cars (Porsche, etc.) are not modified for Indian conditions and would have the tuning, features that are available in other markets.
tatsago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:37   #88
BHPian

The Renault Logan has wipers "the other way round". Whilst cleaning the glass, there is a small quadrant remaining untouched right above the drivers side. IMO, Renault conveniently forgot to make this small change when making the car a RHD. If you notice, most cars will have the unclean quadrant on the passanger side!

With regards to the Indicator stalk issue, IMO a RHD car should have the indicator stalk on the right side. Assuming you use both hands to drive the car (in the common 10-2 position), the indicator stalk would be reachable by extending your fingers of right hand while the left hand can be removed to shift gears. In fact, indicator stalks on most cars can be kept pressed slightly halfway when changing lanes where your movement of the steering wheel would be minimal. The indicator blinks till the stalk is kept pressed and one doesnt have to "switch off" the indicator after a lane change. With the same logic, a LHD car would have the stalk positions reversed.

Last edited by Drift King : 22nd March 2011 at 13:15.
Drift King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:27   #89
Senior - BHPian

Not only Logan's, but also Sandero's (as seen in South Africa). It seems like wipers are not a part of homologation rules either in india or South Africa. I also think that India was the first RHD market for that platform. Yet, Renault did not do any changes to the wipers.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:25   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
+1 to this

I was actually going to write the same thing. In our LHT(also known as RHD) system, The indicator stalks on the left are actually better suited to us. Most of us have owned a maruti 800/ alto or any other car as our first car, that is the reason we keep saying that brands like VW, Ford, BMW, Opel etc. etc. have indicator stalks on the wrong side. However i find the indicator stalks on the left more comfortable and so do many of the people here who have owned both type of cars. eg: members like Daewood and Gilead, i can recall.
+1, Absolutely agree. I am one of those who do not believe in leaving the steering with right hand for anything while driving and its good in my UVA indicators are on the left side which i can manage with my left hand.

I have also come across people who say having an indicator on right side actually ensures that they can keep their left hand on Gear and indicator can be changed by flick of the fingers while keeping the right hand on steering. They say it helps them on tight corners where you got to change both gears and give indicators.

Frankly i find this logic quite ludicrous since one still lowers its control on Steering.
anu21v is offline   Reply With Quote