Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd March 2011, 15:39   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Made for India : How some foreign car manufacturers have adapted their cars for I

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
I have also come across people who say having an indicator on right side actually ensures that they can keep their left hand on Gear and indicator can be changed by flick of the fingers while keeping the right hand on steering.
Another problem with this habit is, you cannot flick the indicators with your fingers easily, unless the steering is in dead centre position.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:53   #92
BHPian

Default Re: Made for India : How some foreign car manufacturers have adapted their cars for I

Quote:
+1, Absolutely agree. I am one of those who do not believe in leaving the steering with right hand for anything while driving and its good in my UVA indicators are on the left side which i can manage with my left hand.

I have also come across people who say having an indicator on right side actually ensures that they can keep their left hand on Gear and indicator can be changed by flick of the fingers while keeping the right hand on steering. They say it helps them on tight corners where you got to change both gears and give indicators.

Frankly i find this logic quite ludicrous since one still lowers its control on Steering.

I am somewhat surprised to hear people say they have no confidence in their left hand. I wonder if this is true for most people. I drive quiet a bit in moderate to slow moving city with only my left hand on some days when I just want to rest my elbow on the window sill (like a cabwallah ), and the gypsy doesn't have power steering either. The thing is to anticipate well in advance when you will need both hands and switch to both hands when picking up speed quickly. I for one am comfortable with the right hand indicator lever and left hand wiper lever.
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 17:04   #93
BHPian

Quote:
+1, Absolutely agree. I am one of those who do not believe in leaving the steering with right hand for anything while driving and its good in my UVA indicators are on the left side which i can manage with my left hand.

I have also come across people who say having an indicator on right side actually ensures that they can keep their left hand on Gear and indicator can be changed by flick of the fingers while keeping the right hand on steering. They say it helps them on tight corners where you got to change both gears and give indicators.

Frankly i find this logic quite ludicrous since one still lowers its control on Steering.
My problem is not with that..My problem is that my left hand cannot be at two places at once at crucial points in driving. And this prevents me from using one of the control.

As for those who say its because the people learned driving on 800 and hence prefer those controls, isnt it true in your case that you prefer the controls on left because you are used to that configuration? have you ever thought what you would have said if you were used to the 'normal' controls?

Universally i find that, indicator stalk on other side of gear is the norm for manuals. There are some few exceptions and they are being quoted often.

Mods: I think this argument deserves a thread of its own. Please do the needful if u feel its necessary
Joe-Ker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 00:41   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

6) Many of the Maruti and Hyundai redesigns have been aimed at extending the life of their vehicles in India while they have been phased out in the rest of the world. Even the Esteem, M800, Alto and Santro recieved many such refresh editions ranging from lights, to bumpers to engines purely for the Indian market.

Am not really sure of a couple of the above for sure, so someone could actually share contrary details.
you forgot, the change in badges/signage.

Plastic chrome to sticker to Plastic chrome. Yes Maruti had several version of the same car with just this change.
haithereitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 14:47   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Ker View Post
My problem is not with that..My problem is that my left hand cannot be at two places at once at crucial points in driving. And this prevents me from using one of the control.

As for those who say its because the people learned driving on 800 and hence prefer those controls, isnt it true in your case that you prefer the controls on left because you are used to that configuration? have you ever thought what you would have said if you were used to the 'normal' controls?

Universally i find that, indicator stalk on other side of gear is the norm for manuals. There are some few exceptions and they are being quoted often.

Mods: I think this argument deserves a thread of its own. Please do the needful if u feel its necessary
Gear will need to shifted before a turn, in India (because of lack of high speed turning). At that point to add another exercise to the same hand is just pointless.

Flicking the indicators with your right hand doesn't lead to loss of control by your right hand - the indicator stalks are too close for that, and typically the flicking requires only one or two fingers. There is no reason other than economics for this choice by lazy car manufacturers entering India and causes enough of us who have to alternate between both types of cars end up in a situation where something which should have been an intuitive action, ends up with the wipers on, and potential accident creating situation. I really think that these lazy manufacturers can have blood on their hands because of lack of customizing it to each country. Wonder why CMVR norms don't address this. A separate thread on this is very necessary with a poll, and a link to a change.org petition, which I am happy to forward to relevant authorities for addressing such laws.
manolin is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 18:04   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Fiat 1100 boot was modified (for PAL Padmini) to offer more space.

Morris Oxford/Landmaster boot was modified (for Ambassador Mk 1) to offer more space.

We have it in our genes. (The liking for big bOOts)

The success of DZire is the explanation.
I know I am replying to a post which is about 2 years old, but still would like to know what modifications were made to Fiat 1100's boot by PAL? However, for the discussion on adaptation, and being grown up with an 1100D in family, I will like to share that Fiat 1100D had wipers positioned as for LHD configuration, though the car itself sold here was RHD. Later PAL models corrected it according to their RHD configurations.

Regarding the success of D'zire, I will attribute more to the fact that it looks premium class because it resembles a saloon. We Indians would love to get a premium car at this price point. Isn't it? Also, managing the boot under the 4m constraint to save other implications on cost helps D'zire.

Last edited by saket77 : 6th April 2013 at 18:12.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 12:25   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I know I am replying to a post which is about 2 years old, but still would like to know what modifications were made to Fiat 1100's boot by PAL?

Also, managing the boot under the 4m constraint to save other implications on cost helps D'zire.
Pls compare image 1 & 2 regarding change in boot size.

Pls compare image 3 & 4 for DZire boot size. I was talking about "Big Boot" Dzire (now DZire Tour) 2 years back when it wa well over 4M in length.
Attached Images

Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 13:17   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Pls compare image 1 & 2 regarding change in boot size.
The change was not done by PAL. The images that you have posted is indeed of a Fiat 1100, but during 1966-67, Fiat lauched the 1100 D, where D stood for 'Delight'! The 1100D looks almost exactly the same as later generations of Premier's Padmini, President, Economy, etc models.
This I can tell you because we had this car until 2003. Also, I learnt driving on this car in 1993, when I was 11!
Some great memories and sentiments attached to this car.
However, a small I difference that I found in 1100D vis-a-vis the Padmini was that the bonet, fender areas was slightly more sloped than the Padmini. Padmini's front was almost in the same plane. I think Dhabhar Behram sir can only clarify/ substantiate this doubt.
Thanks,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 14:41   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
3. Not sure if this is Figo or Ikon, I remember hearing that there is a dog bar in the car specifically made for dogs running around in the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
The Dog bar is there in the Fiesta Classic and the Figo.
Finally I got to see the 'dog bar' on the Figo. Posting a few pics below. It does look sturdy to me.

Made for India : How some foreign car manufacturers have adapted their cars for India-20121127_113927_242.jpg

Made for India : How some foreign car manufacturers have adapted their cars for India-20121127_113932_772.jpg

Made for India : How some foreign car manufacturers have adapted their cars for India-20121127_113944_129.jpg
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 18:17   #100
BHPian

Talking about wipers, FIAT 1100 and its later version Premier Padmini, both had wipers on wrong side - sweeping from right to left thus leaving a uncleaned spot in front of the driver. Logan just followed the same mistake.

Placement of indicator stalks is also from FIAT-Ambassador times. Both these cars had steering column mounted gear lever and hence you have no choice but to have other controls on right hand side. Maruti simply followed the same. So we got too much used to indicator stalk in right hand side.

Having driven both LHS and RHS variations, for equal number of years, I can say, it does not really matter much. Indicator control on RHS is easy to reach if you have habit of keeping the window open and rest your elbow on it while holding the steering. But with Air-conditioning on, both sides are ok. Once you get used to particular configuration it does not matter, even when you are using two cars with different versions off and on. I generally use Polo and occasionally my daughter's Alto. I do not find it difficult to switch between the two.

I think it is very personal and may change from person to person.

Last edited by CANPUSH : 9th April 2013 at 18:18. Reason: correction in punctuation
CANPUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 11:58   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Finally I got to see the 'dog bar' on the Figo. Posting a few pics below. It does look sturdy to me.
How is the 'dog bar' different from the regular bumper beams/bars ? May be Ford is just playing with words .
DudeWithaFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 12:10   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
How is the 'dog bar' different from the regular bumper beams/bars ? May be Ford is just playing with words .
I found only a thin metal strip on my M800 and WagonR, which was the front part of the body frame. Comparatively the pic I posted looks real sturdy.

Incidentally, it did protect my car when I hit a small dog on the Nagpur highway last year at around 80 kmph. The only impact was a slightly bent bumper, which could be pulled back into shape, and a bent AC condenser on its bottom part. The AC is working fine since then, and I've left the condenser as it is. There was no other under body damage.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 14:39   #103
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Made for India : How some foreign car manufacturers have adapted their cars for India

Talk about re-engineering for India (read stripping down and offering bare boned stuff under the guise of made for India) - the latest to join the party are apparently Mercedes and Porsche.
Why blame the humble Suzuki, Ford and others for doing it then?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/57849564.cms
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 23:14   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Talk about re-engineering for India (read stripping down and offering bare boned stuff under the guise of made for India) - the latest to join the party are apparently Mercedes and Porsche.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/57849564.cms

There is a difference between what Maruti does and what you mentioned above: Mercedes and Porsche. Maruti usually skips airbags and other safety related goodies where as what the article mentions is, they have introduced engines of lower capacity to provide lower price. They do have bigger engine available, if one wishes. But they don't skimp on any of the safety features. As far as Marc 43AMG is concerned, they are available along side the 63AMGs. And this is not India specific, 43 AMGs are available along side bigger AMGs world wide.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 08:46   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Made for India : How some foreign car manufacturers have adapted their cars for India

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Bad article with a heading meant to lure in a few extra readers!

What it is actually is bringing in more engine options to India and not about giving stripped down versions in the name of ‘made for India’ or ‘developed for emerging markets’.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote