Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th March 2011, 23:00   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Horses for Courses - A 100 bhp Figo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
A variant with higher trim levels is required too.

But if Ford launches the 1.6 Dura-Tec engine in Figo expect it to be pricier as it won't be eligible for the excise concessions.
I totally agree on the first point. We need a higher and a true top variant with FULL features - MID, Rear Power Windows, 60:40 Seat Split, Fog Lamps, etc. etc. etc. (the list of essentials is endless) before we even talk about a 100BHP motor. And if Ford does provide such luxurious amenities on the Figo, it will no longer be so-called VFM offering.

What I totally disagree on is calling the Figo a VFM car. Figo as a car offers an engine, some boot space and a Bluetooth enabled stereo system. Whereas there are other cars in the market that offer much better equipment than the Great Figo. Take Chevy Spark for example or our very own domestic hero - the Vista. Hence, it is sheer injustice to call it a VFM car.
SankalpDesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 23:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

That would be great. Personally, I have always loved the look of the Figo and in no means find it to be boring. And a black Figo is something I would have loved to buy. Anyway, happy with the Beat as well ;-)

But 100 BHP, all it needs is a good end can, some nice alloys and you have yourself an Initial D contender
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 00:28   #18
BHPian

^^ +1.

I too like the looks of the Figo, absolutely no quirkiness design. The hatch looks hot in black. Add a nice pair of alloys and it would be a head turner. The 1.6l engine would certainly make it fun to drive and the most sought after hatch.
However, i seriously feel the equipment level is not on par with its competition. Ford needs to work on providing a true fully loaded variant.
karty_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 08:51   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Why wait? Buy the 1.4 diesel and remap. From what I have heard ( I am yet to drive it as the car is at Cochin), it's awesome and goes like a petrol car. And why pay for petrol
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 10:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Interesting discussion going on.
Let me add one more equation to the discussion.
Why can't we have a Swift with a 1.6L engine? Probably the one that does duty on the SX4? In stead, Maruti has gone the opposite way and put a 1.3 diesel in SX4.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 10:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What are you waiting for, Ford? Car is ready, engine is ready, customers are ready.
GTO, you would need the Fiesta's imported gearbox as well. The Figo uses the Ikon's localized gearbox. You can bet the whole thing will cost at least 1L more and the potential market is tiny. Imagine how a Figo 1.6S will drive.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 11:15   #22
BHPian

While giving us a engine option, they should also add bumpers in the front and rear!
2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 11:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
While giving us a engine option, they should also add bumpers in the front and rear!
+1...

Figo has some horrible cost cutting elements if observed closely.
In order to give more interior space without changing the external dimensions, they hv come up with horrible bumpers - both front and rear.
The radiator is so close to the front bumper.
About the rear, the hatch door edge is actually behind the bumper - the only car I have seen with such a horrible design. Wonder what's the need for providing the bumper anyway?

FORD will not introduce the 100 bhp Figo as there will be no takers for it - it will push the costs up which does not go with the VFM positioning of the car and will put in direct competition with the more premium offerings in the hatchback segment where it doesn't stand a chance
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 11:41   #24
BHPian

I would prefer their 1.6 TDCi diesel engine instead of the 1.6 petrol. In petrol, I would be saying "ouch! 62 rupees per litre" every time I cross 3k RPM

Also, the torque of a bigger diesel would probably result in more thrills in everyday driving rather than race-track performance.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 11:44   #25
BHPian

Figo 1.6 would definitely find some buyers. However i don't think the numbers will be enough to justify the cost for Ford to bring out the 1.6.

If they do bring it out, they should keep in mind the pathetic plight of cars like Jazz(overpriced 1.2 petrol . Unable to justify premium inspite of the honda tag) and i20 CRDI(smooth and powerful Diesel still is not able to justify the premium) which have very low sales inspite of being reasonable cars. Even the polo numbers are lesser than it's cousin vento's.

So there is a market for more expensive hatchbacks but i believe it's still miniscule. Ford will probably look to meet the current version's demand before bringing in one more variant and causing more waiting period etc.
vishnurp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 12:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

The Figo 1.6 would be dead against the way ford wants to position the product. The car now ticks almost all the boxes in the normal indian customers buying dilemma. The 1.6 would untick two major boxes

1.Price and
2. F.E.

And this would have an effect on the perception of the brand. Something Ford would never think of doing anytime soon. With the Fiesta Sedan coming now and the probabili of the hatch joining i think the future of a Figo 1.6 is doomed. :(
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 12:58   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Why wait? Buy the 1.4 diesel and remap. From what I have heard ( I am yet to drive it as the car is at Cochin), it's awesome and goes like a petrol car. And why pay for petrol
You can have your cake and eat it too, eh?. but seriously, however well a diesel mill is tuned, I doubt it can match the pleasure of revving a petrol.

The turbo kick(lag?) comes close though.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 13:35   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
You can have your cake and eat it too, eh?. but seriously, however well a diesel mill is tuned, I doubt it can match the pleasure of revving a petrol.

A car which handles and is cheap to run at 6.40lac OTR?

I was also wondering what one would chose; Figo remapped and Punto 90bhp ramapped (PETE'd,no sure if there's a remap for Punto).
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 13:40   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

The 1.4 TDCi engine sure is super low down but as the revs pile up it gets unenthusiastic, this engine is no fun at the top end of the rev band. Pete it or Remap it, it surely will become faster but it could never match the 1.6 Petrol for the FTD experience.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 13:56   #30
BHPian

IMO this wont happen soon. The 2011 fiesta will be launched. According to reviews from the USA, the new car's hatch version is simply out of the world! Though they are launching only the sedan in India, Ford will want to keep the hatch's options open. They cannot have the Figo 1.6 spoiling the Fiesta Hatch's chances. We in India will go for the Figo1.6 straight.
Also if the Fiesta doesn't really catch up, then the Figo 1.6 has a bright chance.
Personally i would prefer the Figo1.6 to the new Fiesta, Fiesta 2011 looks too Korean/Japanese/Chinese. Prefer American lines, dated or not.
And yes they have to just plonk the 1.6 into the Figo, dont add any frills, keep it sporty - alloys. Spend some more rupiah on the promotions or else it will be suffer like the 1.6S.

And the Slavic competition? None! Ford 1.6 engine is way too "Makhannn".
Time to go rallying?
jazzrockz is offline   Reply With Quote