Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th March 2011, 14:16   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Horses for Courses - A 100 bhp Figo?

If we look at the vehicle weight, Figo is not very lighter than the Fiesta.
Fiesta 1110Kg, Figo- 1090 kg. So as far as pick up considered there is no hell and heaven difference. The only advantage will be the price point. A cheaper way to own a 100 Bhp 1.6 Engine. If swift get the 1.6 engine of SX4 it is going to make a huge difference(The difference is 170kg). With 1.6 Engine Figo will be the quickest, especially in low rpm, but in terms of ride and handling only next to Punto.
vsk2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 17:58   #32
BHPian

Discussion becoming interesting.
How much does the Figo Titanium Duratec cost now ex-showroom Delhi ? Maybe around 4.6-4.7 lac..right?

Taking the above as a base model, a friend of mine, he's working with a leading OEM in sourcing / costing tells me that if Ford takes the plunge, the cost addition for a Figo 1.6 S will be around Rs60,000 - that is including the small car (dis)incentive.

So a ballpark figure of roughly Rs 5.3-5.4 ex-showroom Delhi, which is bang in Swift ZXi territory which costs around Rs 5.4 ex-showroom Delhi and also the i-10 Kappa2 Asta which is around Rs5.3 lac ESP Delhi.

Now coming to the fuel consumption aspect: Ford has to build this Figo 1.6S brand as an enthusiast's car.
No OEM in India has ever even attempted to build a brand for the enthusiast in our country - and am sure there are a fair amount of the petrolhead brigade in our country ! Ford just might crack it.
arjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 19:57   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

It will be fantastic to have 1.6 petrol in the Figo, but I doubt that is going to happen soon. Especially with the launch of new Fiesta in a few months.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 02:48   #34
BHPian

I did read somewhere by Mustang that ford will only consider a review of the figo once it crosses the 1 Lakh mark (in numbers). With 75K already sold and sales at an all time high, i would expect it to reach this number very soon , post which ford might spring some surprise and I just hope its the 1.6
vignesh_ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 08:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

I don't see how this move can be a loss for Ford. It should cost them nothing & it should be a bonus for them. The Fiesta S has never been a volume car but they still sell it. Forget the S variant, its not often you see a petrol driven Fiesta on the road. Most of them are diesels. In spite of this Ford still keeps the S alive. I don't know what prompted Ford to do an S but in the case of the Figo all they have to do is make the 1.6 engine available. It should be a straight fit but the brakes need beefing up. Offer the variant with Ford stock alloys. If not many in numbers its still a sale for Ford. Over pricing it for the heck of it being an enthusiast car won't work though. I hope Ford is watching this thread. Has anyone tried asking the dealer if they can contact Ford directly for a 1.6 Figo order? All S variants are built to order only nowadays.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 08:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

I doubt the Figo will get the 1.6. Ford will plonk that engine in the Fiesta hatch as this sweet engine should make that car truly premium. Ford already have their hands full with Figo orders now, so i dont see this coming... atleast in the near future, although i hope they make me eat my words !
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 09:46   #37
BHPian

If ford is bringing 1.2 Fiesta Hatch then Figo 1.6S may eat the sales of the base version of new Fiesta. Since Figo is already a big hit ford may not want to disturb the equilibrium. It can give a VVT to make the petrol sales increase compared to Diesel which they should do since the Beat with its petrol engine is doing reasonably well and in its multijet avatar it is going to intrude in to Figo's diesel territory.
vsk2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 10:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Has anyone tried asking the dealer if they can contact Ford directly for a 1.6 Figo order? All S variants are built to order only nowadays.
@sandeepmohan:
What you pointed out can actually be used as a marketing tool. Let Ford go for a limited production run for the Figo 1.6S.
Ford can advertise the Figo 1.6S available as only a "built - to - order" vehicle for exclusivity and superior performance.
Make the desirability quotient even higher by pasting a brushed aluminium plaque inside numbering "your car is no xxxxx out of a total of xxxxx", and if possible, add a bit more spice by getting it autographed by Ford's WRC driver...?
Marketing can then weave together some "halo-effect storyline" and exotic visuals (not that the car needs it)

The very fact that to lay your hands on something exotic you have to place an order for guaranteed exclusivity will definitely find buyers.

Remember the "sachin tendulkar" autographed Canary Yellow Palio 1.6's. Every one of them was sold off. In remote, North-East India, Shillong, to be specific bought 16 of them - you can still see those cars if you go there

Come on Ford - it's time to put the pedal to the metal !
Old 10th March 2011, 10:31   #39
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

A figo 1.6 would be a dream, it would be better than the Festa as well, now with news of the S and SXi models of the fiesta going from the market with the new fiesta coming in, a 1.6s Figo would be the best fun car this side of 7L, it could be the new Josh machine.

Ford should get this in a sporty look with back and red upholstery and and interiors (no beige pls), alloys ofcourse are essential and a graphite spoiler would be nice to have. (No stickers pls.)
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 11:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

Forget the S variant on a Figo. Its probably too much work for them. All I want Ford to do is give the customer an option for a 1.6 block in Titanium variant only with the stock Ford Figo alloys & a tire upgrade as part of the package. Thats it. Oh & maybe some better brake blocks for more effective braking. With just these 2 changes it should be possible for them to keep the price in check too. The car already has excellent steering and dynamics so they don't really need to do anything.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 10th March 2011 at 11:11. Reason: Forgot to add tires
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 11:21   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Forget the S variant on a Figo. Its probably too much work for them. All I want Ford to do is give the customer an option for a 1.6 block in Titanium variant only with the stock Ford Figo alloys & a tire upgrade as part of the package. Thats it. Oh & maybe some better brake blocks for more effective braking. With just these 2 changes it should be possible for them to keep the price in check too. The car already has excellent steering and dynamics so they don't really need to do anything.
Maybe these are Ford India's thoughts as well. As Mustang mentioned in an alternate thread, this could be the next update coming to Figo, after the 100K mark
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 11:29   #42
BHPian

Can we start a poll on this topic?

"To 1.6 Figo or not be 1.6 Figo, that is the question"

I don't know how to set up the poll thing...can anyone put it up please? Thanks!
Old 11th March 2011, 17:17   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
I too like the looks of the Figo, absolutely no quirkiness design.
Except for the outdated x'mas tree rear light arrangement, I have no problem with the Figo's design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
GTO, you would need the Fiesta's imported gearbox as well.
Ah, thanks! IIRC you had brought this up earlier as well. Even at a premium of 1 lakh rupees, I think the Figo will find its share of enthusiastic owners, whose only other options are the Polo / Fabia 1.6 and the Punto 90 BHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
While giving us a engine option, they should also add bumpers in the front and rear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I would prefer their 1.6 TDCi diesel engine instead of the 1.6 petrol.
Agreed with VW, whose 1.6 diesel is so much better - in every way - to the 1.6 petrol. But that Fiesta 1.6 revv-happy engine is a jewel. And it's got great low end torque too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
However i don't think the numbers will be enough to justify the cost for Ford to bring out the 1.6.
The key isn't actual numbers; it's maintaining a certain "image" and adding value to the brand. Reasons for introducing the Figo 1.6 would be the same as the Fiesta 1.6S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
The Figo 1.6 would be dead against the way ford wants to position the product. The car now ticks almost all the boxes in the normal indian customers buying dilemma. The 1.6 would untick two major boxes

1.Price and
2. F.E.
But the Figo 1.6 isn't meant to be a replacement for the 1.2 P and 1.4 D! Price & FE sensitive customers can buy these smaller-engined variants anyways. The 1.6 will serve the needs of those buyers, who currently look away from the Figo due to its lack of punch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk2009 View Post
If ford is bringing 1.2 Fiesta Hatch then Figo 1.6S may eat the sales of the base version of new Fiesta.
IMHO, there is no plan to bring the new Fiesta hatch as of now.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 23:53   #44
BHPian

While a Figo with the responsive and rev happy 1.6 will be a dream to drive on highways, i really want Ford to offer an automatic Figo, and in diesel. The 1.4 diesel is already great in city as it has no turbo lag, and with an auto it'll just be brilliant. With the i10 auto reporting single digit mileage figures in city, running costs would be much lower for the Figo and it would not cost much more than an i10 auto(keep in mind the cheapest i10 auto is now north of 6 lakhs in bangalore!) It could totally redefine the auto hatch segment, which is dominated by the i10 currently.

Ford, are you listening?

Last edited by radiokidb : 12th March 2011 at 00:02.
radiokidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 02:17   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The radiator is so close to the front bumper.
About the rear, the hatch door edge is actually behind the bumper - the only car I have seen with such a horrible design. Wonder what's the need for providing the bumper anyway?
to get under the 4m length. With the 1.6, there is no benefit so might as well re-do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Please find my reasons why Ford is not thinking your way:
1. They dont want to spoil the chances of a premium hatches simimlar to the New Fiesta hatch that might be coming in sometime.
2. The placement of Figo is well planned to be only a VFM, they dont want to spoil placement plan for Figo by trying to make it a enthusiasts favorite, and adding the cost of the car.
Agree somewhat. Yes, the Figo has been stripped out quite a bit and therefore people wanting premium engine may also want premium interiors/looks & yes it has developed a VFM image unlike the Polo or I-20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Avoid a fuel guzzler image. See what the 1.6 GTX did to the Palio. 100 monthly Figo 1.6 owners redline, and then whine about "8 kpl"..
From what reports we are seeing, the 1.2 is also quite a guzzler too more-so considering its modest output. With the 1.6, it may be a small-nil drop in FE.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote