Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th June 2011, 00:28   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Horses for Courses - A 100 bhp Figo?

When I read about the NFS with a 1.5L Diesel engine, this was my first thought. Since India govt gives concessions on tax for Diesel engines till 1.5L engines on hatches [<4m], it definitely helps to plonk this engine. But then are they going to phase out the 1.4L engine or there will be a Figo sports? I would love to own a diesel with better power & mileage.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 18:49   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Ok, here is an outrageous thought. Figo's 1.2 Duratec is derived from Fiesta's 1.6 L duratec. So external configurations, engine bay requirements and tranny couplings may be similar to both the engines. In that case, is it possible to transplant Figo's 1.2 with a Fiesta's 1.6?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
Excellent though dot!

I'm also wondering the same thing. The overall cost of a transplant could reduce the price difference between the Figo and the Germans substantially.
Hey, any of you did some further R&D on this idea?
akshay380 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 13:32   #78
BHPian

This might be stale news, but bringing it up again as I thought Fellow BHPians might have some news to share on this & because of my liking for the Ford 1.6 Duratec -

"Very recently Ford India commenced the exports of the Figo 1.6 to the Middle East market. Now, the company may not have made any public announcements about the prospects of the new engine being plonked under the bonnet of the Indian Figo, but with the hardware ready, all it would take is the nod from the company top management for the idea to become a reality.

Come to think of it, the Figo, with its superb ride, handling and yummy steering feels is just the right kind of car to have a potent mill spinning under its bonnet. With the new 1.6-litre 100bhp engine the Figo will offer a much more economical option to the pricey VW Polo and Skoda Fabia 1.6. True, the car will no longer fall under the definition of a small car as defined by the government, with a petrol engine bigger than 1.2-litre, but the Figo would still be much cheaper than its contemporaries.

At the most, the new 1.6 petrol will cost equivalent to the Figo 1.4 Duratorq, which would still not be a bad price for the car. With 100 bhp on tap from a responsive Ford petrol mill, the combination will mean driving nirvana for the enthusiasts on a budget"

Source:

Ford India may launch the Figo 1.6 petrol soon! | Motoroids
Torquedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 13:47   #79
Senior - BHPian

What about the requisite suitable upgrades to the brakes, safety systems, suspension, transmission systems and of course, wheels and tyres? Will it still remain a budget car with all these things requiring modifications and upgrades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
With 100 bhp on tap from a responsive Ford petrol mill, the combination will mean driving nirvana for the enthusiasts on a budget"

Source:

Ford India may launch the Figo 1.6 petrol soon! | Motoroids
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 13:54   #80
Senior - BHPian

Although Ford have the car ready, I doubt they will launch it in India with the way Petrol prices are going. Till our great government sorts out this whole fuel pricing fiasco, our hopes of a hot hatch seem more like a dream, unless VW plonk the 1.6 diesel in the Polo... which is also highly unlikely.
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 13:57   #81
BHPian

I don't think Ford will bother with a 1.6 litre engine for the Figo in India yet. For that kind of bhp, would it rather not go the whole distance and launch something like the Fiesta hatchback?

With 1.6 comes a whole host of bells and whistles which will defeat Figo's positioning in India, methinks.
esskay08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 14:01   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
What about the requisite suitable upgrades to the brakes, safety systems, suspension, transmission systems and of course, wheels and tyres? Will it still remain a budget car with all these things requiring modifications and upgrades?
Shankar -

I am not the right person to answer this but still my thoughts -

1) I own a Figo P - It has P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C brakes, for sure Ford will need to work on the brakes.

2) Safety - Depends, if we have variants on 1.6, the base might not come with Airbags, ABS is a must though !

3) Suspension - New springs to firm up the suspension for that sporty feel.

4) Transmission - The Ford Fiesta and the Ford Figo share the same same gearbox, as far as I know, so don't see much changing there.

5) Wheels - Alloys to get that sporty feel, 185/195 R15's would be awesome.

6) Pricing - I got my Figo Lxi in Apr 11 @ 3.88, so an OTR of 5.2 for the base 1.6 would be fantastic.

Happy Motoring !!
Torquedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 15:15   #83
Senior - BHPian

This is great news for the petrol-heads who now are a minority here because of the sky-rocketing petrol prices. IMO Ford India should launch a limited edition Figo 'S' similar to the Fiesta 'S' which was launched earlier. In this way Ford may gauge the market and for all they know, it may end up being a success (the i20 story) and may be followed by the Suzukis and Hondas and others to bring in their performance hatchbacks and move on from the mundane 1.2L segment and offer us something exciting!!

It is just wishful thinking by me as Petrol is not the most preferred fuel choice any more in India, but I'm still a petrol head??
S2!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 16:06   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Shankar -

I am not the right person to answer this but still my thoughts -

1) I own a Figo P - It has P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C brakes, for sure Ford will need to work on the brakes.
Are you really sure about that. I have driven a figo and the brakes felt fantastic...though it was a test vehicle and almost new. On a different note, I own a fiesta and the brakes are amazing, as responsive as the whole car itself. I've driven cars from all section from Ford and felt the brakes to be excellent. Did you get them checked with the service centre guys ?

Please feel free to correct me !! Anyone ?
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 16:53   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec
Are you really sure about that. I have driven a figo and the brakes felt fantastic...though it was a test vehicle and almost new. On a different note, I own a fiesta and the brakes are amazing, as responsive as the whole car itself. I've driven cars from all section from Ford and felt the brakes to be excellent. Did you get them checked with the service centre guys ?

Please feel free to correct me !! Anyone ?
OT - Nice handle there, you must be in love with your Fiesta for sure !!

I repeat, the brakes are pathetic on the Figo P.

The only dent that I have on the 24K Kms driven Figo is the one on the Front Bonnet, I was on a trip to the Jim Corbett Park, while on our way to the Corbett Falls, suddenly a buffalo came out from one of the villages enroute, I slammed the brakes hard, but to no avail, the car front hit the rear left leg of the buffalo and resulted in the dent, might sound funny but it was the case, at that point in time I was coming from a Swift Vxi (G13B) background so probably was not accustomed to the Figo braking.

I'll repeat, the brakes on the Figo P are BAD.
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 20:54   #86
BHPian

Question Re: Horses for Courses - A 100 bhp Figo?

Quote:
OT - Nice handle there, you must be in love with your Fiesta for sure !!

I repeat, the brakes are pathetic on the Figo P.

The only dent that I have on the 24K Kms driven Figo is the one on the Front Bonnet, I was on a trip to the Jim Corbett Park, while on our way to the Corbett Falls, suddenly a buffalo came out from one of the villages enroute, I slammed the brakes hard, but to no avail, the car front hit the rear left leg of the buffalo and resulted in the dent, might sound funny but it was the case, at that point in time I was coming from a Swift Vxi (G13B) background so probably was not accustomed to the Figo braking.

I'll repeat, the brakes on the Figo P are BAD.
I am supprised you find the figo's brakes pathetic! I too have a Figo P, lxi and the brakes seem great. I have compared the braking power to a non ABS ritz and find it comparable(assuming the ritz has good brakes??)
Have you based your reason only on the Corbett park incident or is it daily phenomena?? I assume the village road had alot of mud therefore you lost traction due to the sudden slamming of the brakes!??

If not then the brakes need to be checked, i had changed my brake calipers under warranty because its was making sounds while braking.
rambo1o1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 21:00   #87
Senior - BHPian

Brakes on the Figo titanium and lower variants are different. Lower variants get smaller discs and drums. See GTO's review of the Figo. While I can understand that Figo LXi brakes are not as good as Figo Titanium brakes, having driven my cousin's petrol LXi, they aren't as bad.

Back to the main topic - Ford really should go the VW Golf GTi route with the powerful Figo (if they are introducing it, that is). Start with a limited edition, watch the market response, and then launch the full production model if the market will sustain around 500-600 per month.
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 21:52   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,
For India, if Ford is at all thinking of a hot Figo, it should be with the 1.0 L Ecoboost engine. And could I have the DSG with it please. Pretty please.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 23:39   #89
BHPian

Stilll continuing to hope against hope - will figo ever see light of the day with the 1.6 or 1.0 ecoboost under the bonnet?
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 06:38   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Brakes on the Figo titanium and lower variants are different. Lower variants get smaller discs and drums. See GTO's review of the Figo. While I can understand that Figo LXi brakes are not as good as Figo Titanium brakes, having driven my cousin's petrol LXi, they aren't as bad.

Back to the main topic - Ford really should go the VW Golf GTi route with the powerful Figo (if they are introducing it, that is). Start with a limited edition, watch the market response, and then launch the full production model if the market will sustain around 500-600 per month.
I am not sure the souped up Figo will have the requisite stopping power...
Also, in India as far as I am aware, they ve launched the VW Polo GT souped up and not the Golf or have I missed something?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote