Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2012, 15:10   #211
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,791
Thanked: 3,035 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas

Thankfully, my 1.2 Kappa2 I10 does not have any steering rattle despite having traveled 18,700 kms since we bought it in December 2010.
That's good to hear. Like I said in my earlier post, I am not quite sure what it is. I have not owned an i10 or i20 before so I really don't know how the typical 'steering rattle' sounds. It could just be some loose nut somewhere that needs tightening. But the sound is distinct and comes on certain uneven patches of road. It is kind of deep gdrrr gdrrr sound, if it makes any sense. I realty hope the service centre can identify and rectify it during first service.
Santoshbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 23:39   #212
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 71
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat
Took delivery of a new i10 AT in March. THe sound has been there since day one. I haven't had the time to contact the service centre yet..
From day 1? This is quite different that i am hearing as other members have reported rattling after running few hundred or few thousand kms. (after some running some bush gets damaged, etc)
Did you not do a PDI of the car?
Vizay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 02:13   #213
BHPian
 
torquecurve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 598
Thanked: 629 Times
Default re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

A friend has booked the 2012 i20. We were called for PDI and naturally I was taken with him. The car looked good, I asked for the engine to be turned on (to check for knocking and stuff). It took a single crank to start. However with the hood opened, I could see that the engine was vibrating a fair bit (compared to my 39K kms Vista). It could be a case of running in. Will post an update after delivery and running in.
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 14:32   #214
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,791
Thanked: 3,035 Times
Default re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

An update on the steering rattle issue in my month old i10. THe car went in for its first service to Advaith Hyundai, Millers Road, Bangalore. THe rattle is heard on bad roads sometimes esp when the road undulations make the car rock side to side. THe occurrence though is not frequent and the sound is only occasionally heard. THere is one patch of road on the way to my office and on this patch the rattle is heard almost everytime. Told the SE about the same and let him know that I am pretty aware of this issue which has plagued many i10s and i120s. THe SE sheepishly acknowledged this problem but said that most cases were with i20s. When he said 'most' I realised that i10s also have suffered. He even gloated that this problem had been completely fixed in the facelifted i20. The facelifted i10 wasn't that lucky I guess

The SE said he will check it up and do "what's necessary". Picked up the car in the evening . The SE said he retorqued something and went for a test drive on some rough roads and did not hear any rattling sound whatsoever. His tone almost bordered on hinting that I was imagining things. Well I told him that after retorqing whatever he did, if the sound did not come, well and good. But I also said that I have owned about 8 cars before this, made by five different companies and have clocked well over 2 lakh kms behind the wheel. I know what sounds are normal and what are not. I am the last person to report frivolous complaints as I would not want anybody to cut open factory fitted components and mess with them.

As expected the sound did rear its ugly head up on the way home. I realised I don't have the time nor the patience to sweat it out with these incompetent SEs. So far the rattling sound is heard very ocassionally and I guess I am going to be one of those i10 and i 20 owners who have just learnt to live with it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizay View Post
From day 1? This is quite different that i am hearing as other members have reported rattling after running few hundred or few thousand kms. (after some running some bush gets damaged, etc)
Did you not do a PDI of the car?
I don't think you are allowed to drive the car out during PDI.
Santoshbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 15:37   #215
BHPian
 
Brocklock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 62
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
An update on the steering rattle issue in my month old i10. THe car went in for its first service to Advaith Hyundai, Millers Road, Bangalore. THe rattle is heard on bad roads sometimes esp when the road undulations make the car rock side to side. THe occurrence though is not frequent and the sound is only occasionally heard. THere is one patch of road on the way to my office and on this patch the rattle is heard almost everytime. Told the SE about the same and let him know that I am pretty aware of this issue which has plagued many i10s and i120s. THe SE sheepishly acknowledged this problem but said that most cases were with i20s. When he said 'most' I realised that i10s also have suffered. He even gloated that this problem had been completely fixed in the facelifted i20. The facelifted i10 wasn't that lucky I guess

The SE said he will check it up and do "what's necessary". Picked up the car in the evening . The SE said he retorqued something and went for a test drive on some rough roads and did not hear any rattling sound whatsoever. His tone almost bordered on hinting that I was imagining things. Well I told him that after retorqing whatever he did, if the sound did not come, well and good. But I also said that I have owned about 8 cars before this, made by five different companies and have clocked well over 2 lakh kms behind the wheel. I know what sounds are normal and what are not. I am the last person to report frivolous complaints as I would not want anybody to cut open factory fitted components and mess with them.

As expected the sound did rear its ugly head up on the way home. I realised I don't have the time nor the patience to sweat it out with these incompetent SEs. So far the rattling sound is heard very ocassionally and I guess I am going to be one of those i10 and i 20 owners who have just learnt to live with it....



I don't think you are allowed to drive the car out during PDI.

This reminds of the steering noise in my Santro that was there from the day of delivery.

It took 11 different dealerships, dozens of service centre visits, 3 full years, an inordinate amount of money, dozens of "I cant hear any noise" lines from Service Advisors, an unbelieveable degree of frustration, and total loss of driving pleasure before Safdarjung Hyundai in Gurgaon finally sorted it out (on my 4th visit to them with the same issue).

Man, this just takes me back to why I'm not going to even consider a Hyundai, any Hyundai, even after 6 years of faithful, and otherwise pain-free service from my Santro.

Don't get me wrong - the car was and is absolutely fantastic and will more than justify its price. There will be absolutely no ownership pain - unless the car goes to the Hyundai Service Centre.

Last edited by Brocklock : 26th May 2012 at 15:38.
Brocklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 19:42   #216
BHPian
 
skanchan95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mangalore KA-19
Posts: 695
Thanked: 759 Times
Default re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
A He even gloated that this problem had been completely fixed in the facelifted i20. The facelifted i10 wasn't that lucky I guess
That fellow is partly not telling the truth. New steering rack and steering column from the facelifted i20 was fitted recently in my 2009 i20. They were still not ready to give any guarantee that the issue has been resolved permanently. This lack of confidence in their own product makes me suspect the issue will return(I have lost count of how many differnet types of steering rattle fixes were tried on my car ). It easy for Hyundai wallahs to boast that the issue has been fixed, but the truth may be something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
His tone almost bordered on hinting that I was imagining things.
You are not alone . Many other owners were/are treated like this when they made repeated complaints on the steering rattle issue. It is almost as if they are doing you a favour by "fixing" things. Those idiots don't realise that it is their company's fault that the issue hasn't been solved till now, not the car owner's. I took a video recording to prove that the steering rattle issue exists in my car, until then, I was labelled a mental patient, being accused of causing "jhik jhik" and what not.
skanchan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 15:04   #217
BHPian
 
Brocklock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 62
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
You are not alone . Many other owners were/are treated like this when they made repeated complaints on the steering rattle issue. It is almost as if they are doing you a favour by "fixing" things. Those idiots don't realise that it is their company's fault that the issue hasn't been solved till now, not the car owner's. I took a video recording to prove that the steering rattle issue exists in my car, until then, I was labelled a mental patient, being accused of causing "jhik jhik" and what not.
Ah, that brings back fond memories.

"Sar, there is no noise in your car at all. Maybe you are imagining it".

Once, I got frustrated and took 3 other people with me along with the serice advisor for the test drive and the fun part is, only the service advisor could not hear the noise!

Finally I had to tell him to have his hearing checked...
Brocklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 17:21   #218
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 165
Thanked: 11 Times
Default re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

An update on my 2010 i10s steering noise.

I started to get some noise from front suspension some 6 months back. they finally fixed it in March. They replaced a lot of part is front suspension assembly - in warranty, so did not bother much on details. The loose noise was definitely gone. But there are now TWO more noises -

1. when I accelerate after a speed breaker, or simply after braking, without changing gear there is blunt noise from the front suspension. This happens most often in 2nd gear, and occasionally in 3rd.

2. There is occasional tick-tick noise from the accelerator, whenever that is pressed in 3rd/4th gear.

Have anybody else faced these noises?
cuboid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 09:20   #219
Senior - BHPian
 
_raVan_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,058
Thanked: 486 Times
Default re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
New steering rack and steering column from the facelifted i20 was fitted recently in my 2009 i20.
Do you mean from the 2012 refreshed model or the 2010 facelift model? If its the 2012 model, do you still face the rattling issue?
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 11:16   #220
BHPian
 
skanchan95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mangalore KA-19
Posts: 695
Thanked: 759 Times
Default re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Do you mean from the 2012 refreshed model or the 2010 facelift model? If its the 2012 model, do you still face the rattling issue?

The new steering rack & the column installed in my i20 are the ones that are being used in the 2012 facelifted model. Details here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2767162

I haven't been able to drive the car after getting the car back from Junagadh after the fixes as I left for Mangalore the very next day and am still in Mangalore.
skanchan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 14:53   #221
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 97
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Dear Friends,

Can some please confirm if this problem is present in 2012 i10? I'm getting a good deal on i10. Will decide based on the reply I get.

Thanks in advance,
nithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 17:56   #222
BHPian
 
Alive2Drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 167
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Hi Everyone,

An update on the steering rattle issue! I was facing issues with my 2011 Hyundai i20, and got my steering damper kit replaced twice. The final solution to the problem was replacing the damper kit with the 2012 i gen i20 damper kit. The car is working fine as of now ( keeping fingers crossed).

Hope this information helps.
Alive2Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 22:39   #223
BHPian
 
misquitas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Panjim
Posts: 859
Thanked: 272 Times
Default re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithi View Post
Dear Friends,

Can some please confirm if this problem is present in 2012 i10? I'm getting a good deal on i10. Will decide based on the reply I get.

Thanks in advance,
Don't know about the 2012 i10, but I have not encountered a single rattle -- steering or elsewhere -- in my December 2010 i10 (Magna, kappa2) and it has covered 21,000 kms so far.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 11:46   #224
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,791
Thanked: 3,035 Times
Default re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithi View Post
Dear Friends,

Can some please confirm if this problem is present in 2012 i10? I'm getting a good deal on i10. Will decide based on the reply I get.

Thanks in advance,
THis sterring rattle is not present in each and every car I suppose. If you're lucky it won't surface in your car. But in my March 2012 i10, the rattle comes up on every now and then over very uneven roads. Its not that bothersome now that I've gotten used to it. I tried telling the service centre during first service. But when the SA said he could not hear ANYTHING during his test over (in his own words) 'the worst road in Bangalore', I said forget it!

But if you ask me whether I regret my decision to go for the i10, my answer is a resounding NO

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 11th July 2012 at 11:48.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 10:03   #225
BHPian
 
skanchan95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mangalore KA-19
Posts: 695
Thanked: 759 Times
Default re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

For those of you who thought the steering complaints in the i20 were only on Indian i20s, or as Hyundai liked to foolishly say, "Indian bad roads are the reason for the rattle :

This is an e-mail I received from someone in Serbia.

Quote:
From: XXXXX
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2012 11:23 PM
To: xxxx@gmail.com
Subject: I20 steering wheel rattle

Hello,
My name is xxxxxx . I came from Serbia,Europe.
My 1.5 years old 1.2 i20 shows steering ratle simptoms.WHen i move my wheel left right it says click-click,but just for couple times.Then i can drive 100km and nothing.But if i stop for 1-2 minutes and try to move wheel again it says click-click.Also click-click is coming from right front wheel when i pass on small bumps on roads.I never try my i20 on bad roads,like you in India have and i am sure because of that iam still not hear problem like you facing.
I see your last post on bhp team forum from 23th june.You change steering rack again and you get one from new 2012 i20.It is almsot 1 month pass after you do that.Is problem solved?
I have to go to service in next 2 weeks and want to show them problem.I can live with "klick-klick" sound if dont affect cars safety.

Anyway,i just read Croatian hyundai forum,country near mine.A lot of i30 owners have same problem with i30.Some of i30 was built in Corea and some in new factory in Europe.same isue.KLIK-Klik when turning wheel and klik-klik when pass over bumps or "speed breaker".

XXXXX.
On a side note, its nice to know that Team-bhp is referred by foreigners as well .
skanchan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai Xcent / Grand i10 EPS issue: Steering suddenly becomes 'loose' RVVSatya Technical Stuff 48 14th November 2017 12:29
Is It necessary to add new plug wire,ignition coil if adding new NGK Iridium Plug finetuning Modifications & Accessories 20 12th September 2011 10:45
5009 KMS-A'bad-Calicut-Bangy-Hyd-Aur'Bad-A'Bad-Report ramkya1 Travelogues 48 4th August 2010 00:04
A bad bad bad night for me.... Ranjan Sharma Street Experiences 38 8th April 2010 12:02
My accident - Bad brakes, bad rain, bad luck... vezj420 Street Experiences 41 22nd May 2007 10:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks