Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 11th September 2007, 17:00   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster View Post
Hi,

Have confirmed company sources who say that the Laura vRS (diesel) will make it here. It does have a DSG option (mind you the engine is same as the 2.0-litre PD on the Passat).

It is expected next year but no date has been put on it. 170PS and 350Nm of max torque should give the car enough grunt to see 220kmph on the clock.

Revv
That means Skoda vRS would have same figures as Passat
Old 11th September 2007, 18:52   #32
BHPian

Well the engines are in different state of tunes,, the Passat gets the 2.0TDi 140BHP motor and I guess the Laura vRS might runaway with the 2.0TDi 170BHP motor,, can check the following webpage :

Volkswagen UK > Models > Passat Saloon > Engines

The Passat in UK has a sport model with 170BHP TDi but will not make it to Indian shores except maybe on the Laura vRS.Just guess it will be a change in ECU,, so Petes for Passat!!
Old 11th September 2007, 19:37   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
The Passat in UK has a sport model with 170BHP TDi but will not make it to Indian shores except maybe on the Laura vRS.Just guess it will be a change in ECU,, so Petes for Passat!!
I understand the tdi 140 is a better engine. The 170 Tdi is has a very narrow peaky band so it is either all power or none
Old 3rd October 2007, 18:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

there is no news of the laura rs. currenly skoda is hardly able to match up with the demand for the current laura. ie. the normal laura & the elegance.
a Rs is not in the picture.
Old 3rd October 2007, 18:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Why can't they match up with the demand?
What's their production capacity (after several years in Aurangabad)?
Old 4th October 2007, 11:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
Frank,Dont know much about the Octavia and Superb,but the Laura I test drove had pathetic suspension set up for slow city speeds.The ride quality is what you expect from a car meant to go well around corners-stiff,but it is not at all pliant or soft.There is too much noise filtering through at low speeds,especially on cement roads which just does'nt give you a feeling of luxury and class.
tire noise yes. but the suspension and ride comfort are great. the car you test drove probably had excess pressure in the tires. i realized this after driving for a month with 40+ psi (stupid dealer as usual)!!! Now it is running with the recommended 31/29psi and it feels fantastic - esp the front seats.
Old 15th April 2009, 00:19   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
Right on dude....the best part about my corsa is its ride....even though the engine is not as responsive as i'd like the ride really makes up for it....it actually helps me drive faster
+1. The only thing i love corsa is for its comfort. But it when it comes to speed its a thumbs down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
Most of its buyers are rear seaters, who look for downright comfort more than anything else.
My uncle (not much of an enthusiast) wanted to buy the laura (just for the skoda brand value). During the TD, he asked the company driver to take the car for a spin and he took the back seat. He was fairly disappointed on the comfort.

Quote:
So as a luxury car,its thumbs down from me.As a driver's car though,it fares well.
Hope the new Laura RS changes this image. They should at least minimize the trade off between the driving pleasure and passenger comfort.

If skoda is pronouncing this as the most powerful of all the skodas launched, why are they putting an existing passat engine on to it ? At least they should try to bring something new and innovative. Its WV for heaven sake! Doesn't it have a reputation to maintain ?
Old 9th August 2009, 23:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this has been posted before, but it looks like the Laura RS is on the way.

SkodaAuto to drive in true blue performance car- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

NEW DELHI: There is something about fast cars that keep people on their toes. And SkodaAuto seems to have quickly caught on to it. After the successful launch of its new Laura and Superb in the “C plus” and “D” segments, respectively (both premium segments), the Czech carmaker is readying another exciting launch, the new RS (Rally Sport) — the sports icon of all Skoda cars.

The RS will possibly be available here in two variants: With a 2.0-L TSI engine with 200 PS on tap and a 2.0-L TDI oil burner that churns out 170 PS, which means more power for the buck.

Ashutosh Dixit, senior GM (sales & network development), SkodaAuto India, told SundayET: “The appeal of the RS lies in the fact that it is an everyday sports car i.e. you can enjoy the space of a four-door family car as well as go full throttle when you desire speed.”

The new RS will be based on the 160-PS Laura (known as the Octavia abroad and already the fastest car in its class here) platform and will have sporting cues in its interior and exterior design. It will have a lower drag coefficient (read better aerodynamics), sports suspension and a new sporty body kit. This comes on the back of the fast 4-wheel drive 3.6-L 260-PS V6 Superb that Skoda launched in India recently.

The RS will be available for sale here only after the launch of the Yeti, SkodaAuto’s soft roader, later this year. But company officials have confirmed that it will soon be showcased in cities such as Mumbai and Delhi. In fact, SkodaAuto is the only company to have had a true-blue “sports” version of its regular sedans here. Also known as the RS, the turbocharged 1781-cc car spewed 150 PS, which was much more than what a “normal” Skoda Octavia produced.

Other car companies such as Honda, Toyota, Ford, Mitsubishi and Maruti Suzuki tried similar experiments here by launching sports versions of their regular cars. Honda did it by launching a sports variant of its Civic. Ford still sells the Fiesta 1.6S.

Mitsubishi followed suit with its Cedia Sports. And just a few months back, Toyota too launched a sports version of its popular sedan, the Altis. But other than the Fiesta 1.6S, which at least has a retuned suspension, none of the other carmakers offered any hint of real performance in their sports offerings, apart from looks.

“For most, it was just a marketing gimmick to renew consumer interest in their products,” says an industry insider on conditions of anonymity. New fog lamps, fresh bumpers, sporty seats, fake aluminium pedals, boot spoiler and stickers were dished out to buyers who wanted some excitement in their daily commute. But if SkodaAuto has its way, things are about to change fast.
Old 10th August 2009, 07:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

The report was there in Yesterday's ET but these are European Spec engines designed to run at 95 RON petrol. Changing it to Indian Fuel Conditions will severly impact the performance. As about the diesel it is an PD engine which Skoda is trying to discontinue in Europe. But I hope they bring it here. Have driven the VRS in Europe its a stonker of a car with DSG.
May be this exercise will teach others what Sports versions are for!
Old 10th August 2009, 11:47   #40
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Was about to start a new thread on this when I read the article in yesterday's ET, but bumped into this one. Yes, this will be a true blue Sports version of a car. Most other manufacturers who have released sports versions in the past have done so with only cosmetic mods.

But going by the Yeti's launch that is pegged for Oct/Nov, I think this will be pushed to be launched in 2010.
Old 10th August 2009, 11:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Now if only we had some roads to drive these cars on.
Old 10th August 2009, 12:07   #42
BHPian

It will be better if Skoda improves its Management, dealer and service setup first before launching any new models.
Old 4th February 2011, 22:13   #43
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Laura vRS

Mates - I dont know if anyone else is still tracking this thread or may be continued someplace else, any news on when the Laura VRS is actually coming, i have long waited on indicative news of 2011, anyone with some direction will be greatly appreciated.
Old 4th February 2011, 22:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Mates - I dont know if anyone else is still tracking this thread or may be continued someplace else, any news on when the Laura VRS is actually coming, i have long waited on indicative news of 2011, anyone with some direction will be greatly appreciated.
I'm not sure whether Skoda will bring the VRS because the TSi more or less satisfies the average enthusiast. Have you driven one? Believe me its a rocket !
Old 6th February 2011, 21:41   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I'm not sure whether Skoda will bring the VRS because the TSi more or less satisfies the average enthusiast. Have you driven one? Believe me its a rocket !
I did mate, quite liked it too, was not sure the legend was going to be here if at all, I had also heard some noise about a diesel VRS also. Just checking.
Closed Thread