Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd June 2011, 21:00   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Car highly expensive to run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasana_19 View Post
Somewhat I feel a Petrol car is better than a LPG car for <1000Kms or lesser, as I dont feel any economic sense, especially when we go for a loan, reasons for the same are;

At least 30K more than petrol version
Hence, more emi and interest
Mileage drop when we compare with petrol by at least 3 to 4 kms per litre
Not sure about the prices in the future
Comparatively high maintenance costs
Less space due to lpg tank etc.,

What say people? Am not considering any performance w.r.t power etc., here..
I don't know about EMI/Interest (bought all my cars on 100% so far), though I can tell you it'll make no more than 5% of difference (given that that's how much more expensive it is).

In any case - EMI/interest is already taken into account when we talk about how much more expensive it is (why would you want to use the same argument twice).

Mileage drops in LPG mode - because LPG has less energy per liter than petrol does. Nothing to do with the engine. Petrol mode gives same mileage as non-LPG petrol vehicle. Also company fitted LPG (or CNG) comes with all the necessary changes to valves, ECU mapping etc. done with both performance and reliability (and durability) in mind - nobody outside the OEM can take care of the latter.

Again Mileage is taken into account when you talk about running costs - why would you want to count that twice?

Maintenance cost is same as petrol-only vehicle.

LPG tank takes very little space - your favored CNG takes the whole boot for mid-size hatchbacks and converts City's boot to Indica's boot. you can go and have a look at WagonR-duo, unless you know it is duo it is hard to find it is.

Overall there are two problems:
  1. Availability of LPG in a given city
  2. Shorter range on LPG mode
If these two are OK, then you save more than 50k/- over diesel in initial costs, save more in insurance and maintenance costs, and get at least as much per-km fuel-cost savings as diesel gives. Also you still have a peppy vehicle to do high speeds on highways (though many diesels are no slouches, small diesels are not the road burners either). Compared to diesel this is a far better option IMO.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 15:08   #167
Senior - BHPian

Today morning, I just calculated the amount I had spent on fuel by going through my card statements in the last few months. Immediately proceeded to faint from the shock, because even though I always knew it at the back of my mind, the heart side of me managed to punch the head side of me out of the way in this matter.
I have decided to, or rather, I have to, start using the office bus service for my 40km round trip commute everyday.
This will save me thousands in petrol costs every month, even though I dont have to worry about car EMIs. Its not the cars fault though, because its rather efficient.

Last edited by sajo : 24th June 2011 at 15:11.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 11:06   #168
BHPian

Last month: Combined with sane driving and hypermiling tricks (in traffic!), I managed to squeeze a decent FE of 15km/liter on my Chevy Beat! This time I'm going to go farther, aiming at 17kmpl.. wish me luck!
hellmet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 11:37   #169
BHPian

Question Re: Car highly expensive to run!

It is a little guys, but please get me off this dilemna. I stay about 19 Kms from office now and will be moving closer ( 5 kms) within the next 2 months. I am planning to start driving lessons tomorrow and my car purchase is scheduled for September. I have 1- 1.5 Lakh to spend for my first car. Now, after a lot of thinking, here are the choices:

1. Pay 1 Lakh down payment and buy the Beat Diesel.
2. Same as above but buy a MS Ritz ( petrol or diesel?)
3. Buy a 2004 Santro Xing for around 1.25 Lakhs.
4. Buy a 2004 Ford Ikon for 1.6 Lakhs( 1.6 or 1.3?)
5. Any other you can think of

Please help me with the choices people.
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 11:51   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
It is a little guys, but please get me off this dilemna. I stay about 19 Kms from office now and will be moving closer ( 5 kms) within the next 2 months. I am planning to start driving lessons tomorrow and my car purchase is scheduled for September. I have 1- 1.5 Lakh to spend for my first car. Now, after a lot of thinking, here are the choices:

Go for option 3 or buy a zen, it would easier to learn & drive a santro. When you gain confidence buy a new car. The first time when I learnt to drive, I got enthusiastic with my monthly pay & wanted to buy the most powerful car this side of ten lakhs, later I realized it is not about buying but maintaining it which also comes into the equation.

Diesel cars IMO are not the ideal for first buy with no driving experience on our congested roads. Your running seems less, so why a diesel?

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 29th July 2011 at 11:52.
Mr_Bean is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 12:10   #171
Senior - BHPian

@andy:
Agree with mr. bean here.
A santro or a zen makes the most sense right now.
I know you might be tempted by the three boxed option 4, but remember, with great power(sizes) comes greater fix-it prices.
you move up a segment, even if its just for 1.5Lacs, the repair costs will stay the same.
no reflection on how you learn to drive, and it being the cause, but i am just going by how much I myself banged my poor 800 when learning, and how much my knowns messed the engine and bits cos they were not listening to the car.

Santro - easy to drive, no hassle repairs.
Zen- just about as easy, and can be fixed up for peanuts.
(and who knows, it may turn you into a modding monster too!)

Suggest not to go for a new/+1 Segment/diesel car.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 12:13   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post

I suggest you go for a used Santro Xing or the Wagon-R. Both are ideal for a car learner who wishes to graduate to bigger car (premium hatch/ entry level sedan) in shorter span.
You can also go for a new car, but in that case go for Petrol models, primarily because:
1. In process of learning you may do more harm to diesel engine being a novice.
2. Your daily running will not be that high to go for the diesel car when you move closer to your office.
even in this case prefer going for Maruti Suzuki &/or Hyundai cars as they are more reliable & have better resale values as compared to competitors'.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 12:14   #173
BHPian

Thanks guys for your quick response. And now lets continue the actual topic or else I will be accused for hijacking someone else's thread.
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 15:25   #174
Senior - BHPian

a little input please?

My fiesta(petrol), when i get it serviced, my DTE goes upto 530, and it usually returns these figures.
then, as the kms go by, the DTE gradually inches towards under 500, and by the time i pass 5k kms, its aroudn the 450-460 mark(AND returning those figures), and its time for servicing again.

Now this has been the regular cycle.
This time around though, i got the full service done.
I also got the VSS changed, which had reached end-of-life and was causing a lot of digital odo blank-outs.
Takned up right out of the service centre, and the DTE went to 430.
next tank-up, 435.
Now, every service has been at ford itself.
And those figures above,are also running true, unfortunately.

effectively this means that FE has gone from 11-12 kmpl to about 8.5-9 kmpl.
SHOCKER!!
what could be the reason behind this?
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 11:40   #175
BHPian

mayankk, noting down the odometer readings at every fuel refill is the only proper way of knowing what FE your car actually returns. These multi-instrument displays are only approximations at best.

Next time you fill up, set your trip meter to zero. Ask the fuel pump attendant to fill your tank up but stop exactly at auto cut-off. When you need a re-fill, visit the same fuel station and follow the same procedure. Divide your trip meter reading by the exact fuel your car consumed. This would give you the mileage you got for this particular tank-full.

An even more accurate method is to note down your odometer readings and amount of fuel filled for 6 months. At the end of the period, divide total distance covered by total fuel consumed.
lucifer1881 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 11:57   #176
Team-BHP Support

mayankk, why are you using DTE to calculate mileage? Drive to Empty is the most unreliable of all the MID figures displayed. I use the average FE figure as a ready reckoner but even that is usually off by 5-10%.
If your fuel tank is say 55 litres you need to decide a reasonable number of miles (say 450KM) before you refuel. Don't depend on DTE for this.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 12:00   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
mayankk, noting down the odometer readings at every fuel refill is the only proper way of knowing what FE your car actually returns. These multi-instrument displays are only approximations at best.

Next time you fill up, set your trip meter to zero. Ask the fuel pump attendant to fill your tank up but stop exactly at auto cut-off. When you need a re-fill, visit the same fuel station and follow the same procedure. Divide your trip meter reading by the exact fuel your car consumed. This would give you the mileage you got for this particular tank-full.

An even more accurate method is to note down your odometer readings and amount of fuel filled for 6 months. At the end of the period, divide total distance covered by total fuel consumed.

thats what i meant, actually, that the DTE and the odo have been corresponding, more or less.
with an overestimation by the DTE of about 20-30 km per tank-up.

earlier, when the DTE showed 530, it the car ran(on the odo) for about 400, and then i got the tank-up as soon as it hit 80 remining on the DTE.

however since the lsat service, it showed 410, and ran 320, before it hit 80 on the DTE.

Anyway, somehow this got resolved.
I was cleaning out the filter las week, got a tank-up done, and the metre showed 410, again, to go.
Sparayed the throttle body too, and just disconnected the battery for 2 seconds.
Somehow the clocks didnt reset, but the ECU apparently did.
DTE ran up to 572.
then slowly settled and adapted.
by the odo, i filled up at 68386, curretly its at 68766, and a quarter tank remaining, and DTE is now on 130.
So i suppose, regular transmission has resumed.

I suppose a reset was something ford used to do, but forgot this time.

For experts, is there a concept of a soft and hard reset here too?
i know when i used to disconnect the battery for 15-20 minutes, EVERYTHING used to go to factory.
Stereo lost its stations, clock went to 1st january, 2005.
nothing happened to those with the 2 second disconnect.

EDIT: guys, i never said i was using the DTE to calculate FE.I was only using it in conjunction with the Odo...

Last edited by mayankk : 8th August 2011 at 12:02.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 12:45   #178
Senior - BHPian

@Mayankk--I purely go by tankful to tankful method, and my FE always ranges between 11 to 12 in pure city driving. On occasional airport visits (which involves some highway driving) the FE goes to around 13.

I don't go by DTE reading or the fuel meter position. My DTE ranges from 485 to 515 on every refill. As regards my fuel meter, it drops to the 3/4th mark on crossing 80 kms, and to half at around 210 kms, but takes a long time to drop further to the 1/4th mark. Owing to this erratic reading, I dont rely on either method.

Yesterday, I went on a 200+200 km drive to Nagarjuna Sagar on a fellow-bhpians Fiesta S. When he tanked up at the start of the reading, the DTE showed 400 kms!. But after driving 100 kms on the highway, the DTE increased to 420. On return, the DTE plus kms covered showed 540 kms! Hence don't go by DTE---it gives an approximate picture only.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote