Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th April 2011, 09:54   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Car highly expensive to run!

@Gansan, when you are alone, I can understand the using bike part. But when you have wife/kid with you, I would suggest you forget the fuel prices and use the car - today's roads are not just safe. And as I have read, pillion riders are more at risk in case of accidents.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 10:23   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

@bblost/mayankk: There is absolutely little wrong with what Max said - except his choice of words/sentence formation at some places leaves you crazy. I disagree with the cooking bit myself tho.

Of course, its not fully contextualized - he's just meaning to reply that shaadi != marvana or suchlike thing but can actually mean a more comfortable life on all parameters!

If you abstract it - he's saying that its important to consider the career aspirations of the woman you marry and that ways your earning and thus, potential to spend is that much better. Heck, in Delhi, you can't buy a half decent house even in Gurgaon for anything less than 80L-1cr.

@SB: I'd disagree on the pillion bit. Roads are as safe for defensive motorcyclists as they are for car drivers. The problem atleast in Gurgaon comes in summers due to the endless dust storms, esp where I stay. Even a 20 min ride during daytime makes dark T-shirts brown. So its the car more often than not.

Last edited by phamilyman : 5th April 2011 at 10:31.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 11:40   #123
BHPian

Well, the fact is that the EMI isn't what is pinching me much, I was ready for it totally. However, I miscalculated fuel spending and am also getting panicky with the rise in price (although it isn't much really). Like someone suggested, I should consider this year's hike for spending on fuel and forget I ever received it... The car is so much more comfortable for my back [ouch]..
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 10:26   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
@SB: I'd disagree on the pillion bit. Roads are as safe for defensive motorcyclists as they are for car drivers.
There are 2 things to this :
1) However defensive you are on a bike, there are some risks associated with bikes like skidding (2 wheels vs cars 4 wheels) & the lack of a protective shell. I was waiting at a signal on my bike when a pickup truck hit me from behind (brakes failed it seems). I was lucky to get away with no injuries and minimal damage to the bike, but it could have been dangerous. In a car, the vehicle would have taken most of the brunt.

2) I read somewhere that in bike accidents, it is usually the pillion rider who takes more injuries, which I am guessing could be because the rider is the one making decisions and consciously/instinctively takes the preventive action when an accident is unavoidable. While the pillion usually does not have this luxury. Plus while helmet rule is mostly enforced for riders, pillions are ignored which results in most of them not wearing one. And reading accident news mostly confirms that pillion-riders are hurt more than riders in accidents.

I do agree with you in that we can avoid most incidents by driving defensively - on car or bike.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 7th April 2011 at 10:34.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 10:50   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
There are 2 things to this :
1) However defensive you are on a bike, there are some risks associated with bikes like skidding (2 wheels vs cars 4 wheels) & the lack of a protective shell. I was waiting at a signal on my bike when a pickup truck hit me from behind (brakes failed it seems). I was lucky to get away with no injuries and minimal damage to the bike, but it could have been dangerous. In a car, the vehicle would have taken most of the brunt.

2) I read somewhere that in bike accidents, it is usually the pillion rider who takes more injuries, which I am guessing could be because the rider is the one making decisions and consciously/instinctively takes the preventive action when an accident is unavoidable. While the pillion usually does not have this luxury. Plus while helmet rule is mostly enforced for riders, pillions are ignored which results in most of them not wearing one. And reading accident news mostly confirms that pillion-riders are hurt more than riders in accidents.

I do agree with you in that we can avoid most incidents by driving defensively - on car or bike.
I agree with both points. Especially regarding the pillion rider - sari clad ladies riding side saddle without helmet are especially vulnerable. And there are no crumple zones or protective shells in a bike - the rider himself is the crumple zone!

But one adapts with a defensive and smooth riding at nominal speeds, keeping the bike mechanically perfect and ensuring good tyres. Have been riding for 2.5 decades to work and for 2 of them wife has been a daily companion on the pillion. Touch wood, have managed with only minor problems so far, and one hopes and prays for the good run to continue. I also ensure I leave a bit early and am in no hurry.

But taking the car to work daily poses some problems, apart from pinching the pocket. It causes delay, especially after the metro work started. We can take the suburban train, but then both of us have to take a first class pass which costs more than the cost of petrol for the bike, sans the ease and flexibility, which my wife loathes to forego!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 11:31   #126
Senior - BHPian

Know what u mean.
I use to travel 94 kms in a day for a year in 2006 (Noida to Gurgaon & back!)
Luckily it was probably 3-4 times a week, rest of the week I was visiting our stores which were closer (and claimable expenses)
I had an alto which would give be 19kmpl without AC and 16kmpl with AC.

A LPG/CNG kit is the ideal solution.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 12:44   #127
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with both points. Especially regarding the pillion rider - sari clad ladies riding side saddle without helmet are especially vulnerable. And there are no crumple zones or protective shells in a bike - the rider himself is the crumple zone!
@Gansan:- For them, we have cars. Unless, one doesn't want to spend money of car fuel (of course the cost is considerably higher then riding a bike), there is no point putting anybody's safety at risk.
I'll suggest you to try to avoid such rides, unless it pinches pocket wise. If the balancing act is due to 'budget balancing' (which all of us do in some way or the other) , I respect it.

Quote:
^^ If the weather is clear, no luggage and there is only me + 1 passenger, I feel positively guilty about taking the car out for short trips (up to 15 KM)!
@Gansan:- I didn't get you. Guilty about what? Environment of bucks?

Coming back to the topic:-
Quote:
A LPG/CNG kit is the ideal solution.
I am surprised this isn't your first choice solution. Spend money once and stop bothering about monthly expenses. When I searched last, there seemed to be a quite a few CNG pumps coming out in Hyd. Is that not an option? If not, you may want to consider LPG, but it gives poorer than fuel mileage and also the price is more. The biggest drawback with LPG is, that its prices are linked to petrol prices. CNG is much more economical.

Else, you know what, damn the FE and all, just enjoy the ride. There is more to life than FE.

To wind it up, in general my suggestion is to find a solution to the problem (higher running costs) by making your ride more affordable. The objective is not to move away and try to use the facility you have sparingly. If you do that, you'll have a question popping up very soon:- Why did I buy the car? Why am I paying the EMI for something that I use sparingly.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 7th April 2011 at 12:53.
Abhi_Automobile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 11:11   #128
Senior - BHPian

@hellmet, small update for you, and bad news as well :(

"Dear Sir,

We are in receipt of your email concerning your query. We thank you for your kind consideration on patronizing GM Product.
At the outset, we would like to state that, there is no official information regarding the authorization of use of LPG/CNG in Beat (Existing- Petrol), because vehicle needs partial fitment from production department and balance fitment from the dealership for the use of LPG.
Chevrolet neither recommends fitting LPG/CNG Gas Kit in Beat ( Existing Petrol Version), nor any facility is provided for the same. If you get LPG/CNG kit installed in your vehicle from outside, your vehicle warranty will void. However if we get any confirmation in future in this regard, we will let you know about the same."
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 11:22   #129
BHPian

@mayankk,

I have the same message from Chevy too! I think I posted that somewhere in the Chevy Beat thread. Yea, it is sad :(
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 22:15   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I stay 21km away from work which is 42km round trip commute daily, in the most dense urban traffic (Hyderabad, Tarnaka->Madhapur). A few months ago, I went ahead and bought a new BEAT, petrol prices hovering around 57 (?). In the winter, I was juggling between bike and car to keep a check on expenses.

But now, summer is full on (AC always on), and petrol at 65.18/- it's going to become extremely expensive to feed my car. At an average of 12kmpl which is optimistic for the kind of traffic I drive in, I will be spending this summer, close to 5000 per month just for commute. The fact is, I've this car on EMI for the next few years at about 7100 pm. All this is adding close to 12K per month, which is unbearable.

I can ride my bike and survive my commute with about Rs1100 per month, but it is highly inconvenient in the summer heat and seems to be getting increasingly dangerous riding one in this city

Maybe I shouldn't have hurried to get the car, maybe I should sell it away (for a huge huge loss due to depreciation). Maybe I should buy a better/safer bike (with disc brakes). Maybe I should have bought a diesel.

What would you do in my situation? I'm starting to consider selling the car away and buying a decent bike. What use is paying EMIs for a car you can't afford to drive?
Dude, dont sell your car. Move closer to office. You'll realize that you've taken a good decision when its going to start raining in a few weeks. Yea the 12k is quite a premium but look for ways to juggle between using bike and car, better driving practices to save on fuel etc. I'm yet to buy a car but I'm sure it'd be a good decision to have bought one. After all you earn to live a better life. :-)
bharathreddyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 22:27   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
@mayankk,

I have the same message from Chevy too! I think I posted that somewhere in the Chevy Beat thread. Yea, it is sad :(
I saw a banner on one of the major sites that factory fitted LPG version now available. May be you can start asking them again
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 10:42   #132
Senior - BHPian

With the recent fuel hikes and with one more one the way i guess many can relate to this thread
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 14:26   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
With the recent fuel hikes and with one more one the way i guess many can relate to this thread
Don't talk about it! . Hyderabad is paying Rs 70.17 for regular unleaded. 5 more rupees hike would be around 5.2 or 5.3 after taking into count the tax which will take it to around 75.5 per liter.
Old 20th May 2011, 14:30   #134
Senior - BHPian

hellmet, look up a few people with 100% reliable kits installed.
get their experiences.
If you feel that it can run trouble-free and will be able to offset the cost of whatever repairs your vehicle may require under warranty, go for it man.

Seriously, when i heard about the fuel hike, the first thing that i recalled was this thread ....

Last edited by mayankk : 20th May 2011 at 14:32.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 21:32   #135
BHPian

One month down the line from May20th, I'm car pooling with two other colleagues. Let's see how this pans out eventually.