Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th January 2006, 11:20   #16
BHPian

thanks for the link, Devarshi. the car really looks cool from the front! it kinda like aping the Accord what say ppl?

I hope they keep the interiors good, coz now the corolla and civic and elantras are all with superb interiors. If their interiors is "all grey" like the pics Autocar showed, that wud be a shame!
Skoda Octavia Ambient/rider has the worst interiors, but then, the Diesel engine makes up for all its cribs! (even ultra expensive maintenance!)

Somehow i feel that the Cedia will have a fate of the Elantra, or worse stil... atleast in case of elatnra, the car perfomrs superbly, and is great from within, but the looks fail to impress. With the Cedia, the front look is good, rear dunno, but interiors ..???
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2006, 13:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

hello all

just saw both Cedia & Civic

Civic is just a beauty another success for Honda for sure
interiors are also of superb quality

as for Cedia fit & finish is good, however sitting is too low
also somehow its tyres look very small

have taken photos will post them once i go back to pune
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2006, 13:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

the cedia seems like a good buy at 9.87 lacs. that might work out to 10.6 (approx) on-road. the good thing is that the cedia, in all probability, is steering clear of the civic, which might be priced above 11-12 lacs. the cedia has been quoted by HM to sell at around 3000-3500 units a year, which, i think, is pretty much possible.

but if the detuned civic comes in with a 125 bhp engine (the same 1.8), i would really love to see who creams the other in the performance stakes....

i am waiting for the test reports of the cedia with abated breaths...perhaps one might get to see them in the next month's edition of ACI or OD....
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2006, 20:58   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
but if the detuned civic comes in with a 125 bhp engine (the same 1.8), i would really love to see who creams the other in the performance stakes....
The link mentioned in post #13 says that the Cedia has a 2 litre 115bhp engine. If that's the case, we know who'll cream whom.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th January 2006 at 21:00.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 01:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
the cedia seems like a good buy at 9.87 lacs. that might work out to 10.6 (approx) on-road. the good thing is that the cedia, in all probability, is steering clear of the civic, which might be priced above 11-12 lacs. the cedia has been quoted by HM to sell at around 3000-3500 units a year, which, i think, is pretty much possible.

i am waiting for the test reports of the cedia with abated breaths...perhaps one might get to see them in the next month's edition of ACI or OD....
The cedia has been reworked extensively by HM this time arounds. Autocar and overdrive reports both quote HM to listening to their complaints from the car. I read on some article that the interiors are creme-silver finish for elegance and black-silver for sports. The rear is a ditto evo which I like very much. I didnt like the front end much though.

while at the price cedia is available fully loaded toyota corolla has its base model for sale. Hence the competition will really be pretty interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya
The link mentioned in post #13 says that the Cedia has a 2 litre 115bhp engine. If that's the case, we know who'll cream whom.

thats a typo. All the websites have the cedia power quoted at 125bhp.

Civic will most probably have a 130hp engine and will be a performance targeted product similar to the old vtec and the skoda RS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer
If I am not wrong the Cedia comes with the same 2.0 litre engine as the Evo IX but affcourse without a twin turbo.

I remember reading something similar. Maybe THe recalibrated ECU, twin Turbos, ANd other modifications from their ralliart team makes the same engine produce more than double the horsepower.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 01:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Cedia is on display at Metro Motors,Mumbai. Have just seen the car from outside. Looks real nice. A few aftermarket exterior mods,and this car is a sure-shot stunner.

X
X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 14:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

boss its the civic for me anyday
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 14:45   #23
Team-BHP Support

Had the chance recently to get upclose and personal with the European version of the new Civic. And I am BLOWN AWAY!

I love it. I love the looks, the interior is mindblowing, the engine is a jewel...

Its sad that we are stuck with the boring US version of the Civic.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 22:44   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I was gonna type that I changed my mind after I saw the new pix of Cedia. The interior looks great too. But then the post below mine is making me vote for the civic
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 22:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

@Rtech: hey, where are you..? where did you snap that pic from...? and yup, the civic hatch is a cute li'l hottie; fat chance that honda's gonna launch it here....they aren't even sure about the accord V6 manual...

as for the cedia and the civic, i would still like to see who smokes the other on the performance stakes; with 5 bhp separating the two, it comes down to gearing, torque, kerb weight, and state of tune; last i heard, the civic 1.8 vtec wasn't that hot below 4000 rpm...
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 23:24   #26
BHPian

Smile

looks like we have a real one-on-one confrontation in Honda Civic and HM Cedia...only a slightest difference in engine shouldnt make case more strong for civic not for the fact that its rear is just not plush as compared to cedia...the fact that HM Mithsuibishi are gonna launch elegance and sports in the same price bracket speaks volumes about their counter-attacking potential ...honda civic is already perceived as a threat to Cedia and hence HM has deviced a strong force in those two cars selling at same price to negate Honda's dominance...Honda Civic rolls out its most performing vehicle in the US and european market armed with knowledge that if they are to wage a war with skoda RS and Toyota Corolla they have to keep that price bracket at margin ..just judging by consumer instincts Civic would open up with a bang bt Cedia will catch up if HM's does their advertising and promotions right coz theres harldy anythin to choose from..bt HM could build around their price competitiveness and convince people to buy ..working out these equations results in gory news for toyota corolla..and Optra too...cant wait to see this battle of the titans to resume...

Last edited by ambylimo : 16th January 2006 at 23:27.
ambylimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 23:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its sad that we are stuck with the boring US version of the Civic.
Why just Civic? Even the Accord is the US version. I still feel the sharply styled European version would have been a great car to have in India. I hate the cars in North America. The yankees have no sense of style or sense when it comes to cars. They give more importance to cup holders then to engine's and transmissions.

Last edited by amit : 16th January 2006 at 23:33.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 23:41   #28
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Why just Civic? Even the Accord is the US version. I still feel the sharply styled European version would have been a great car to have in India. I hate the cars in North America. The yankees have no sense of style or sense when it comes to cars. They give more importance to cup holders then to engine's and transmissions.
yh u have hit the nail amit bt saying that ..i personally believe Honda's missed a trick or two by not launching Accord coupe US version ....what Honda has done really well is squeezin' in those auxilliary features that enhance coffe sippin experince than delivering super performance....a strong case for Ford and GM to work upon....
ambylimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2006, 02:30   #29
BHPian

The new Euro Civic looks mindblowing with the hidden rear door handles (alfa 147 style) and all those triangulated surfaces!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Why just Civic? Even the Accord is the US version. I still feel the sharply styled European version would have been a great car to have in India. I hate the cars in North America
I think the general trend is for the Europeans to go for hatchbacks (notchbacks) whereas the americans tend to go for the sedans. unfortunately in India we seem to have the boot fixation.

Who in India would pay 11L to buy a hatch? (I might ;-) )
rahulmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2006, 05:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulmd
The new Euro Civic looks mindblowing with the hidden rear door handles (alfa 147 style) and all those triangulated surfaces!!

I think the general trend is for the Europeans to go for hatchbacks (notchbacks) whereas the americans tend to go for the sedans. unfortunately in India we seem to have the boot fixation.

Who in India would pay 11L to buy a hatch? (I might ;-) )

Americans are supposed to show their ego with their big cars. No pun intended. An American will buy a big car always. Hence their cars are bigger in size but sucky at Design. Europeans believe more in form. Hence we have BMW's and volvos.

cedia and civic fight will be a true one to the core. same as the OHC/lancer fight was.

but after all its the end consumer who will be the winner with a better price and an even better selection of cars to choose from.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote