Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Will this launch work?
Yes ! Great move by TATA 59 76.62%
No ! Xeta will meet the fate of Palio 1.2 18 23.38%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th January 2006, 11:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

i think its a nice move, 14 kmpl as promised is good n 70 ps i good too, but better is the pricing and it comes with the tata reliablitly . . i think it will do good. . . .
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 12:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

The web site is up ..

http://indica.tatamotors.com/xeta/index.aspx
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 12:31   #18
BHPian

have they already launched it ??? i saw a full page ad of it in todays Newspaper!
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 12:35   #19
BHPian

Increase in torque at lower rpm and a bit of less top end power.....
Should make the car even better in city conditions...As it is the current torque is good and drivability is better than its competitors.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 12:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

tata should stick to wat it knows best ...diesel ..let others do petrol
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 13:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

if its a little smoother than the earlier one, and actually manages 14kmpl, it should be serious competition to the Altos of the world, even for petroheads
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 14:38   #22
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Do they increased the petrol Engine torque/FE by using Somender Singh's Engine Grooves technology. In 'Popular Science' article they have written that Tata folks contacted him.
Suryam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 14:44   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
tata should stick to wat it knows best ...diesel ..let others do petrol
I am kinda baffled by this attitude that many here seem to have..

If you are not very good at something (say a sport you play and want to be really good at) do you give up just coz there are better players around and take another one up or keep pegging away to actually get better?
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 15:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx
if its a little smoother than the earlier one, and actually manages 14kmpl, it should be serious competition to the Altos of the world, even for petroheads
Forget Alto, even the hugely popular Santro and WagonR, and Zen will have their future in trouble.

For 3.4 lakh ex showroom price(DLG) Delhi, if i were to buy a city petrol car, why i would go for non power window Santro/WagonR/Zen, when i can get a car of almost same driveability with power windows, beige interiors, B+ segment space (which puts Swift and Getz to shame), and a hell lot of other features (not to forget the safety which is miles ahead of Tall boys and Zen).

Any reason why i should not recommend this car to somebody with 3.xx budget?..

Last edited by DCEite : 16th January 2006 at 15:14.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 15:28   #25
Team-BHP Support

Why not? Well here's why
1. Poor quality. Whenever Tata releases something new, there is trouble for initial 6 months. Extend this to 2-3 years if the "new" does not sell well
2. FE. Unless they prove their worth in this field people wont bite
3. Gearshift. The worst gearshift ever.
4. Fit and finish. The Hyundai's and Maruti's are still miles ahead.
5. Image. Every time you are in a tata car, people will try flagging you down. Its a taxi.

Diesel takes care of cost of ownership part. So little niggle here and there doesn't pinch as a trip to the fuel station makes it all worth it.

With chinese and korean components, quality of electricals and other frequently failing parts should improve. Tata should Dump subros and Lucas TVS. These guys can make a lightbulb work.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 15:47   #26
BHPian

Good move by tata. Tata service and brand recognition should gell well with the diesel power fiat has and some other nice models in its stable.
Beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 16:28   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
The car may be a good one... but the website is full of gaffes! Just see the number of misspelt words and wrong headers etc. They probably put that site up in a real hurry.

The car has, apparently, muti point fueljunction system... its turning radious is 165x65 R13... and lot many such innovative/informative stuff
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 16:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, a lot of the Santro crowd is into 'non-Indian' quality so the Tata brand will be an issue with them. The car itself is not a very big upgrade so not an 'alpha' version - shouldn't see as many issues now. Zen ? Yeah consider that dead. Anyone who's highway drive oriented will have a safety as a major factor, and that should overcome the marginally lower FE if its really around 14kmpl (real driving conditions).
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 16:36   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Why not? Well here's why
1. Poor quality. Whenever Tata releases something new, there is trouble for initial 6 months. Extend this to 2-3 years if the "new" does not sell well
2. FE. Unless they prove their worth in this field people wont bite
3. Gearshift. The worst gearshift ever.
4. Fit and finish. The Hyundai's and Maruti's are still miles ahead.
5. Image. Every time you are in a tata car, people will try flagging you down. Its a taxi.

Diesel takes care of cost of ownership part. So little niggle here and there doesn't pinch as a trip to the fuel station makes it all worth it.

With chinese and korean components, quality of electricals and other frequently failing parts should improve. Tata should Dump subros and Lucas TVS. These guys can make a lightbulb work.
Haa haa haaa... I agree to the first two points but not with the rest tanveer bhai. Gearshift has changed a lot and the current shift is much better than what I have seen (not the worst ever). I can actually use the finger webbings to shift from 2->3 and a very small nudge with two fingers to shift from 3->4. Things have changed somewhat buddy. About the fit and finish... again, things are very different now compared to what they were. And about that taxi thing, well, unless you run a White colored DL or DLE model (even those now look different) one can not think your car is a taxi :-))

So the game has changed a lot since they started off. I would love to see Tatas compete successfully even in the Petrol scenario.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 17:17   #30
BHPian

They just need to make sure that car actually give a mileage in the range of 13-14. Public will take care of rest because 'mileage (word of mouth) publicity' is faster than even Mclaren
sivadas is offline   Reply With Quote