Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th April 2011, 18:42   #16
BHPian

Default re: Chevrolet Spark model variants Rejigged 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Rear wiper, for god sakes.
Most of the spark LTs I see in the Chennai city have their rear wipers broken. Maybe a quality issue? But removing it altogether is again not acceptable
deepakchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 23:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
The features deleted from the LT is confusing. Rear wiper, for god sakes. And no body colored handles and mirrors on the top end variant. Are there price cuts to justify the deletion of features.
That was what the Chevy salesman told me but I'm not buying it. It seems more on the lines trying to promote their beat or compete with the alto.

I was recently looking for a 2nd somewhat premium small car for my wife and was quite upset to see rear headrests, 60:40 split seat, body colored ORVMs & handles, rear wiper etc. deleted from their top end variant. I really had my heart set on the spark LT. The car by itself had the best ride quality, rear leg room, NVH(silent cabin) for a car in that segment.

In addition to being put off by the loud K-Series engine noise, deep clutch and horrid gear shift on the Alto K10, the interiors were nowhere close to anything premium. (But man, it had some power even with the AC on. Oh well, not our main requirement).

The Santro is currently available in only two variants i.e. GL and GLS. The GLS has only AC, power steering, 2 front power windows and nothing else on offer. The interiors are poor. The gear was different (vibrating rod) from the earlier santros and the salesman said that is was some rod type and not cable type. I don't know the difference except that it felt like the gear on an old sumo or jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvgeorge View Post
More things taken off from Spark LT. the list goes in as

- rear wash and wiper
- rear fog lamps
- parcel tray
- body coloured rear view mirror, door handles and tail gate handle
- 60:40 split seat
- rear fog lamps
- rear seat adjustable head rest
-Side moulding

saw couple of old sparks in the dealer yard at trivandrum.. but then he said its already sold to some one at a higher rate
I was willing to pay more for an old 2010 spark but I don't think they are still available in Bangalore. I need to check this. Anyway, have put my purchase plans on hold due to a cash crunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Also, i think even a stripped down Spark would still feel more premium/upmarket than the Alto and Santro, and with a similar/lower price tag it may entice a few more customers in that segment.
I guess folks will just have to make do with what is on offer with the 2011 spark. Now, there is no real fully loaded budget hatch with a premium feel.

Last edited by sydras : 5th April 2011 at 23:59.
sydras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 11:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydras View Post

The Santro is currently available in only two variants i.e. GL and GLS. The GLS has only AC, power steering, 2 front power windows and nothing else on offer. The interiors are poor. The gear was different (vibrating rod) from the earlier santros and the salesman said that is was some rod type and not cable type. I don't know the difference except that it felt like the gear on an old sumo or jeep.
Nope. The GL (renamed as GL plus) now comes with AC, PS, Fr. PW, C.Locking, semi-wheel caps (like in the Zip-plus) while the GLS comes with all those + Rear Spoiler + Internally Adjustable ORVMs, fabric trim, factory fitted stereo, some body colored parts, and full size wheel covers.
There is a Non-AC version too IIRC, but don't know much about it.
So it is decently loaded.

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th April 2011 at 10:40. Reason: Content on Fiesta Classic moved to separate thread, Please continue the discussion there. Thanks
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 17:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

2011 Chevrolet Spark
  • Spark had 4 variants, that is spark base, spark PS, spark LS, spark LT and spark LT with ABS, driver airbag and alloys.
  • Now the spark PS and spark LT with ABS, driver airbag and alloys is discontinued.
  • 2011 MY Spark with AC and manual steering is the new base model, spark LS is the mid level variant. Rear parcel tray deleted from LS.
  • Spark LT is the top end model. It gains a 2 DIN USB MP3 CD Aux-in stereo with 4 speakers but sadly, rear wiper (), side protection moulding and body coloured door handles and mirrors are deleted.
The discontinued Spark PS (I own one) model had AC and hydraulic Power steering, taking out PS is bad, 2 DIN stereo is too much for this car and a conventional Single DIN music system was sufficient, side protection mouldings were very useful removing this is bad. They have to price the base model car at 2.5L to 2.6L else they cannot improve the sales.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 18:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
2011 Chevrolet Spark
[*]Spark LT is the top end model. It gains a 2 DIN USB MP3 CD Aux-in stereo with 4 speakers but sadly, rear wiper (), side protection moulding and body coloured door handles and mirrors are deleted.[/list]The discontinued Spark PS (I own one) model had AC and hydraulic Power steering, taking out PS is bad.
Considering this "stripping down" is probably to cut down on the price of the car, we may able to expect the "new" LS to cost as much as the "old" PS version, I'm guessing.
So if this happens, you get PW and Central Locking at the cost of the PS.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 14:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Spark model variants Rejigged 2011

If you look at the latest sales numbers, Spark seems to have lost it spark completely at just over a thousand units shipped. IMO it really beats one's mind to justify the real reason for such a drop. Even the age old Alto sells 25k a month. With very few entry level options around (now add Eon and updated Nano) there must be a natural draw towards competent vehicles in this segment. Seems like another bright sprightly little hatch is suffering due to slothy attitude in the hands of the local GM parents similar to the likes of the Tavera/ UVA/ Aveo or they are really bent upon selling Beat at the cost of Spark! If thats true then it is really sad indeed.
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 17:50   #22
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Spark model variants Rejigged 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
If you look at the latest sales numbers, Spark seems to have lost it spark completely at just over a thousand units shipped. IMO it really beats one's mind to justify the real reason for such a drop. Even the age old Alto sells 25k a month. With very few entry level options around (now add Eon and updated Nano) there must be a natural draw towards competent vehicles in this segment. Seems like another bright sprightly little hatch is suffering due to slothy attitude in the hands of the local GM parents similar to the likes of the Tavera/ UVA/ Aveo or they are really bent upon selling Beat at the cost of Spark! If thats true then it is really sad indeed.
Yes mates, this is really very very astonishing as to how this has happened. Having driven my spark for 19K kms, i believe i can safely comment on this.One who has driven a chevy spark can comment on the drive and the handling of this car. As per me this car has the best power to weight ratio and is an absolute delight to drive. I have both the K-series alto and the spark but i find Spark much better and friendly to drive rather than the K-10 which is not that much comfortable. The engine of K-10 feels draggy but spark feels refined and cool to drive. Even the quality of interior are much better. Open the bonnet and you will find few sharp edges wheras in a maruti you are bound to bruise your hand.

IMHO, the main reason for Chevy vehicles performing not so good in terms of sales is the fact that the service is lagging. The friendliness/professionalism and eagerness of service centre guys towards customer problems is totally missing and one needs to be on his toes to get the work done properly from them.

Recently my spark LS ORVM-right side went faulty. I went to the service centre to get it replaced as it is under 3 years warranty. The service centre guy refused saying that it is mishandling and tampering. I called up the showroom and got it replaced from them for 1k. Asked the service advisor at the showroom about the problem, he said-"sir mechanical problem, no tampering". I got the ORVM changed and took the defective back to the service centre, gave it back to them and took one more ORVM from them FOC. This attitude makes a difference in the service part. The spares and accessories availability is a problem and they are costly too. I have experienced it in terms of Wood finish interiors-2.2k (got it for 850 rs from open market), Front windscreen change-8k, Front fog lamps fitment-5.5k(Without warranty-got it fitted from outside for 400 rs with 6 months warranty). Even had written mails to Mr karl Slym on these issues. GM came back to me and started making all sort of excuses for the issue.

CHEVY needs to pull up its socks and do something else it will loose more market share to competetion and will fail to pick up sales of an existing good product.. They already lost a good customer. I bought my next car-a maruti diesel, for complete peace of mind.
su1978 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote