Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th April 2011, 21:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Suzuki to recall 13,157 Diesel engine cars

I think it is a good move on the part of Maruti to offer a recall & replace if required. I think this is a first in India...& a welcome move. Atleast they are accepting a problem and trying to sort it out.

They should re-validate the warranty after doing the needful, which is only logical

My 2 cents
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 21:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I think this is a first in India...& a welcome move. Atleast they are accepting a problem and trying to sort it out.
I think Hyundai too have been doing a similar exercise recently, so I don't think this is the first time in India.

It's good to hear companies accepting their mistakes but isn't this trend on a rise? Are car companies finding it difficult to cope up with the increase in demand?
ajman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 21:55   #18
PCS
BHPian

Guys thanks for update

I own a RITZ DIESEL. Luckily entered Engine No and came to know that my car is not affected

Also got a call from Dealer as well as company call centre about the recall and asked for my engine number !!! (D13A1220895) and told the car is not affected
PCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 22:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

@raghu

As I already mentioned the ASC would probably have received instructions to pretty much replace all bolts, without much inspection.

But in a press release it sounds better if you say "we will inspect and replace when necessary". If you say, " we will replace it all", a feel is taken by the customer that a major lapse has occurred and the engine may fail any moment.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 22:10   #20
BHPian

Folks, I think HMIL & now MSIL should be given credit for doing recalls and accepting mistakes (which eventually is in our interest) rather than being beaten black and blue.
nitin.rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 22:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

After Honda's massive recall other manufacturers are learning and accepting defects in front of public. It is welcome move by Maruti. But as maruti uses fiat diesel engines, will this be an issue with fiat diesel cars also?

Last edited by bluevolt : 6th April 2011 at 22:17.
bluevolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 22:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
After Honda's massive recall other manufacturers are learning and accepting defects in front of public. It is welcome move by Maruti. But as maruti uses fiat diesel engines, will this be an issue with fiat diesel cars also?
Only the technology has been sourced from Fiat and the engines are manufactured by SPIL (Suzuki Powertrain IL - a wholly owned subsidiary in Manesar) so there cant be a co-relation.

If the component vendor is same then yes.

I believe Fiat engines are manufactured at TM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
As I already mentioned the ASC would probably have received instructions to pretty much replace all bolts, without much inspection.

But in a press release it sounds better if you say "we will inspect and replace when necessary". If you say, " we will replace it all", a feel is taken by the customer that a major lapse has occurred and the engine may fail any moment.
Bang on!

Last edited by nitin.rai : 6th April 2011 at 23:01. Reason: Missed Quote+
nitin.rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 00:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

@nitin.rai and bluevolt

A sincere request to go through the thread a bit, especially when it is less than 2 pages long. The whole deal about the effect on FIAT and Tata engines has already been discussed recently.
Old 7th April 2011, 12:14   #24
BHPian

Can someone explain it detail what exactly this connecting rod is, maybe along with a photo/sketch/illustration, it would help a lot of worried folks who bought the car during this period
GSMINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 13:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

@GSMINC
Are you one of those worried folks??

Well let me give it a go.

First of all the connecting rod is what connects the piston with the crankshaft. The crankshaft converts the reciprocating motion of the piston into rotary motion.

The connecting rod is placed on the crank-shaft at certain bearing surfaces known as crankpins. The lower part of the big end of the connecting rod, called the bearing cap, is held tight using two bolts as shown in the picture below. These bolts are the ones that are at fault here.

These bolts are generally very critical in nature as the connecting rod is under extreme stress during engine operation. Failure will cause connecting rod failure which can cause very serious damage to the engine block.

Pictures courtesy Wikipedia
1st pic: Crankshaft (crankpins in blue)
2nd pic: Piston and connecting rod assembly
Attached Images

Last edited by julupani : 7th April 2011 at 13:08.
Old 7th April 2011, 13:58   #26
BHPian

Quote:
@GSMINC
Are you one of those worried folks??
Luckily No, My Swift VDI is July 2008 model, Just concerned about other unlucky ones.
The Maruti press release just says Connecting rod, no info as to where one can find this part in the car.
Also curious to gain some knowledge about this spare part.
So Pls elaborate further if possible.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th April 2011 at 22:54. Reason: Quote fixed.
GSMINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 14:27   #27
BHPian

[quote=GSMINC;2305884]
Quote:
@GSMINC

The Maruti press release just says Connecting rod, no info as to where one can find this part in the car.
Also curious to gain some knowledge about this spare part.
So Pls elaborate further if possible.
Please read the post above yours.

MSIL could have detected a defect , most probably metallurgical, either during their internal testing or through a field failure and have decided to check. If it is a metallurgical issue, no way a service center can check, so they will change in all the vehicles
raju2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 14:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Maruti joins the bandwagon of recalls! Well, in a way it is good that they have accpeted their mistakes and are correcting it.
However, what I am more interested in seeing is, whether this recall would affect their sales also. Honda had an affect on their sales. I, personally doubt this recall would affect someone as big as MSIL. Lets wait and watch.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 14:55   #29
BHPian

Is'nt this the second time this is happening with maruti? Previously it was with A-Star and now their hottest selling hatch and sedan?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...akh-stars.html (Indian recall: Maruti Suzuki to replace fuel gaskets in 1 lakh A Stars)

Cheers!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 15:13   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
However, what I am more interested in seeing is, whether this recall would affect their sales also. Honda had an affect on their sales. I, personally doubt this recall would affect someone as big as MSIL. Lets wait and watch.
Maruti is playing it safe and is pretty tightlipped on this as well. So far they have not mentioned as to what has prompted this recall. Not too sure, if the Indian dailies have mentioned this point in today's editions. If not, it may get published soon. Sales may not be affected given the aura which MSL has in India.

My queries on this were:
1. For the labour involved for this activity by the dealerships - will Maruti reimburse the dealerships seperately (just asking this out of curiosity).
2. How does this affect the warranrty on the engine. Assume that the part was indeed defective in a particular engine - how does Maruti find out the overall impact to the engine. Or are they managing it by replacing affected parts as well ?
@Chaand is offline   Reply With Quote