Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 16th April 2011, 02:34   #106
BANNED

Default Re: Fiat Linea 1.6 MJD

just when i was planing to buy another car. I already have 1.3 MJD now lets see who will diesel war between New Verna, Fiesta and linea respectively. I am in finland right now i see a lot of fiesta hatchbacks, even few i20's, its been 20 days, and only 2 linea's (after all India is not the only country where it sells less). Always brings smile to my face though. I have also seen new Punto with sporty grills here.
Old 16th April 2011, 06:27   #107
BHPian

Technically, I reckon the Fiat's 1.6 MJD (second generation) will be a better all-rounder than the Ford's 1.6 TDCi and Hyundai's 1.6 CRDi. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hyundai still outsources its diesel engines whereas Ford's 1.4 and 1.6 diesel was borne out of its alliance with PSA Peugeot Citroen. Fiat has its own powertrain division and all its common rail engines are runaway successes.
Old 16th April 2011, 08:42   #108
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai's U2 and R series diesel engines are its own R and D, not outsourced from Detroit diesel.
Old 16th April 2011, 10:04   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
+1. The BEST way not to gain attention is being normal. They might have done extensive testing with no camouflage! And just removing the badge would have done the trick. Or they might have used the same badging as 1.3L to avoid attention.
I wonder why there is a point in any camouflage. If the car is seen by people, won't that bring in more curiosity and ensure at least some people wait for the car than go in for their competition.
Old 16th April 2011, 10:35   #110
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashKeezh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post
Nobody has spotted any test vehicle. (this would be the biggest concern, because AFAIK the test vehicles have always been spotted at least 8 months before the actual launch. Sometimes even more than 2 years before. So is FIAT launching the vehicle without testing vehicle on indian soil?
How do we know that the 1.6 MJD is not being tested, as i feel the only differentiating factor would be badging, if any LINEA having the 1.6 MJD is being tested on road with either the 1.3 MJD badge or the T-Jet badge, we would not realize that it's the new engine.
Come-on Avinash, please do not read between the lines, buddy. I never said FIAT is not testing 1.6 MJD. If you read it carefully, I'm not making a statement, rather I'm asking a yes/no type question. Of course the most logical answer of it would be "no".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashKeezh View Post
I feel we would have seen the prototype on roads but wouldn't have realized that its got 1.6 under it's hood.. Just my 2 cents on this one.
Quote:
+1. The BEST way not to gain attention is being normal. They might have done extensive testing with no camouflage! And just removing the badge would have done the trick. Or they might have used the same badging as 1.3L to avoid attention.
Indeed. Might be the actual case. But it's not just the badge, what about temp registration. I'm sure TBHPians are keen enough to spot the car running on temporary registration. Come-on guys don't doubt TBHPain's capabilities. Unless the test mules are running on permanent registration number, which would definitely make the car go unnoticed. Even we TBHPians have been fooled then.

EDIT: Just talked to the one of my contacts from the showroom. I asked him if I can book the car now. He mentions what booking? There's no launch of 1.6 MJD Linea scheduled at least for one year from now. He also mentioned they get idea at least 6 months before the launch. Of course being a dealer guy, we can't trust him 100%.

Guys, keep an eye on any special discounts get introduced for Linea. That could be a pointer for us.

Last edited by xPK : 16th April 2011 at 11:01. Reason: Adding comments
Old 16th April 2011, 10:37   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelv View Post
I wonder why there is a point in any camouflage. If the car is seen by people, won't that bring in more curiosity and ensure at least some people wait for the car than go in for their competition.
The other side is, at times it even affects the sales of the existing models of the company.
Old 16th April 2011, 11:20   #112
BHPian

Smile Re: Fiat Linea 1.6 MJD

Quote:
Come-on Avinash, please do not read between the lines, buddy.

Quote:
But it's not just the badge, what about temp registration. I'm sure TBHPians are keen enough to spot the car running on temporary registration. Come-on guys don't doubt TBHPain's capabilities. Unless the test mules are running on permanent registration number, which would definitely make the car go unnoticed. Even we TBHPians have been fooled then.
I completely agree with you, it would have been hard for a TBHPian to miss it; unless the company is trying real hard to hide that fact.

Quote:
EDIT: Just talked to the one of my contacts from the showroom. I asked him if I can book the car now. He mentions what booking? There's no launch of 1.6 MJD Linea scheduled at least for one year from now. He also mentioned they get idea at least 6 months before the launch. Of course being a dealer guy, we can't trust him 100%.
The contact might just be right, xPK. 1.6MJD might not be out anytime soon.

Quote:
Guys, keep an eye on any special discounts get introduced for Linea. That could be a pointer for us.
Agree on this one too
Old 16th April 2011, 13:08   #113
BHPian

@xPK- Please do read my first post where i've mentioned that they were temporary registered.( MH)
Old 16th April 2011, 13:42   #114
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
@xPK- Please do read my first post where i've mentioned that they were temporary registered.( MH)
Yes sir! I'm not ignoring the fact that you saw those vehicles in the factory.
Only thing is, I really doubt if Linea 1.6 will be launched in a month or 2 or by June for the matter of fact.

On the other hand if launch is slated for may or june, and we don't see any discounts till next month end, it might also mean that 1.6 MJD will be coming in top end only (just like T-Jet). Also what Naparajito spotted was "Elegance" model (if FIAT replacing 1.3MJD, they don't need to add one more variant).

So looking at all the facts available till now, I could see 2 possibilities about launch (I'm not statistician, but closely associated with them),
  1. We are atleast 6-7 months away from launch. OR
  2. We will be seeing Linea 1.6 MJD by June, available only in top end trim as "Elegance"
Personally I would expect both my predictions to fail, resulting in Linea 1.6 MJD available in all trims by June, so that there could be one in my garage too.
Let's see who gets it right, FIAT or me?
Old 17th April 2011, 15:27   #115
BHPian

Lets see. I had been to the workshop yesterday again. Some service guy named Somu said that they are testing the vehicles and will be launched by the year end or so. I'm so irritated by this now.
Old 17th April 2011, 20:43   #116
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
Lets see. I had been to the workshop yesterday again. Some service guy named Somu said that they are testing the vehicles and will be launched by the year end or so. I'm so irritated by this now.
Urghhhhhhh. Not again FIAT!
I really wonder why FIAT always misses the train?
And also the fact, that they join the race late and also with not so superior engines (performance wise), yet they expect to win the races (expect to increase the market share). Seriously when FIAT is going to learn?
Old 18th April 2011, 00:21   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Actually there is no 1.3L badging on Linea or Punto its either written Multijet or nothing on the front grill(Tjet for linea). So if they want to do test rides they can just remove Elegance and put Emotion and everything will cover that.
Old 18th April 2011, 18:11   #118
Senior - BHPian

From what I read here

Official - No Fiat Linea 1.6/AT for India this year | Indian Autos blog

No launch for 1.6 or 1.3 duologic planned in the near future.
Old 18th April 2011, 18:16   #119
BHPian

^^^
I suspect if they have spoken to so called fiat official as same website is claiming below.

Quote:
After reading on the possibility of a more powerful Fiat Linea, we got in touch with our sources who said they are indeed testing the vehicle in India, even today. The new Fiat Linea would come with either a 1.6 or a 1.9-liter Multijet engine.
The launch dates have not been confirmed, but our sources tell us it will happen before the end of this year.
anyhow no responsible official will accept it until launch.
Old 18th April 2011, 18:23   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
^^^
I suspect if they have spoken to so called fiat official as same website is claiming below.

anyhow no responsible official will accept it until launch.
That is a 18 month old article and the so called powerful engine came out to be T-Jet. Anyways..lets see...ideally, fiat SHOULD launch these variants.
Closed Thread