Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 19th April 2011, 14:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Better Engineered car vs Feature rich car: Which will you prefer

Depends on individuals for sure. You cant predict general AAM JANTA Some may want good engineered car and some may want feature packed car. But majority of people in India go by price. They don't care what features it has or what kind of engineering it has. That's the reason we still have huge number of sales for cars like Alto, Omni, Santro, Wagon R, Indica etc. If you calculate the percentage of these, more than 75 % cars sold are these only. Apart from that if people get good features & is VFM then those also sold in good numbers. Examples are Swift & Figo.

I would personally feel the optimum of both points is good. That means better engineered car at good rate with sufficient features
aniketi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 15:37   #17
BHPian

Well engineered, as i understand it means a car that has a efficient frugal and advanced engine that is mated to a silky gearbox, and a car that has fantastic dynamic stability with a reasonably ensconed ride ( chasis and suspension harmony), all this is in a built to last body.
On the other end are cars that have a less than acceptable deficiency in more than two of the above parameters(Engine,Gearbox,Handling, Suspension,Build quality,durability). If these cars come loaded with creature comforts and even safety features that do not contribute to the fundamental criteria we can call them VFM but not well engineered.
igp_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 15:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

+1 spitfire.

By better engineered car what you mean? A car with an outstanding engine, gear box, rides quality, handling etc. A little confusing for me, features are also engineered, say automatic climate control is a feature yet it is result of engineering or a automatic option is a feature but it is a engineering marvel.

What i can understand from this thread is only by considering ANHC, It has best petrol engine, ride quality but lacks features like auto climate control or auto door locks on ignition on. I am confused .
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 15:47   #19
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
What do you value more? Quality engineering (may or may not be feature rich) or cars loaded to the brim (feel good factor?). Or do you generally try to strike a balance between the two. Compromise a bit on each to get a well balanced car?
Interesting and sensible question.

Whatever we say, I think most of us engage in tradeoffs all the time. As you said, how many cars or its variants are there where you get everything. And even if such a car is up for sale, most likely it will be out of budget!
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 15:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

You can engineer a car to a requirement. For ex Alto is well engineered, its created for a segment (VFM) and performs flawlessly conforming to the requirements without fail (reliable)

A car thats heavily built and solid might be built with the intention of being reliable also. Since in real life we see most of them not being reliable, they are not well engineered. They were not able to match up requirements and create a flawless piece.

Some people are forced (?) to buy expensive cars that has lot of features but might not be reliable. Thats because reliable cars do not have those features.

Thats the reason I think Japs offer better engineered cars. They know what they want to create and they do it without going overboard in one aspect to mask other problems. (of course BMW, Porsche also do it)

Last edited by srishiva : 19th April 2011 at 15:56.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 16:00   #21
BHPian

Better Engineered for me, when I say better engineered, I would include the following:

1) Stonker of an engine.
2) Well mannered ride and Handling.

Features such as Bluetooth, Steering mounted controls, ACC and other cosmetic items on the feature list do not hold much or rather any good for me.

MODS - Can we have a POLL on this?

Happy Motoring !
Torquedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 16:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Better Engineered car vs Feature rich car: Which will you prefer

Good thread. But as always, most of the responses seem 'idealistic'.

Let's see the responses along with the car you own.

We all do want better engineered car, but is that what we go for? This thread is to find out the reasoning behind that question.

For myself, I would choose a well engineered product that also has decent features. And I currently own a Fabia 1.4 petrol Elegance [great car + all features].
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 16:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: "Features" are good engineering too? Give it a thought. The bucketing of well engineered and feature full cars is an absurd differentiation.

Or do you mean feature rich cars are not better engineered.

A clueless thread in my opinion.

EDIT2: More food for thought for the OP as I imagine he does not understand the term "engineering" and "features" too well. How about this: To add features the product needs to be well engineered to take these features. So now?
Quote:
1 spitfire.

By better engineered car what you mean? A car with an outstanding engine, gear box, rides quality, handling etc. A little confusing for me, features are also engineered, say automatic climate control is a feature yet it is result of engineering or a automatic option is a feature but it is a engineering marvel.

What i can understand from this thread is only by considering ANHC, It has best petrol engine, ride quality but lacks features like auto climate control or auto door locks on ignition on. I am confused .
What is the confusion? OK, say a gizmo feature like 'start stop' or 'cruize control' is a feature (which is engineered but something you can do without).

Let me make it more realistic: If a person had 14 lacs to buy a car:- He can go for Corolla Altis (which is a feature rich car but nothing stands out in terms of quality- Engine, build, FE etc) or you can buy a Luara TSI (which is clearly better engineered but sells in basic trim- one doesn't even get climate control). So, clearly at any price point, you get some cars which are loaded but not so well engineered, as well as cars which are well engineered but basic.

What is engineering? Ok: Sit inside a CIVIC and drive it, then immediately drive Elantra. I bet you will feel there is a difference in terms of quality (in everything). Thats engineering.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 16:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Let me approach this by what I call Core Features and what in my opinion, are Add-On Features:-

Core Features
- Engine Power and Torque Delivery
- Quality of Suspension and it's fitment to purpose
- Build Quality
- Comfortable driving environment and ergonomics
- Driveability
- Quality of Fit and Finish (not premium materials)
- Good specification for Materials used (Quality of Steel, Micro-fractures, etc...)
- Reliability
- Low Replacement Costs
- Emissions and Efficiency
- Safety Equipment etc...

Add-Ons
- Electronics
- Gadgets
- Power this, Power that (Barring Power Steering which is Core)
- Leather
- Alloys etc...

So, if I am to place my money, I'd choose a vehicle, that meets ALL or MOST, of the Core Features, within the Budget that I have, and treat the Add-ONS as, just that, i.e. I would personally not pay money over and above my budget for any of these. If they come within the price, well and good, else no sweat!
roy_libran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 16:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:

Let me make it more realistic: If a person had 14 lacs to buy a car:- He can go for Corolla Altis (which is a feature rich car but nothing stands out in terms of quality- Engine, build, FE etc) or you can buy a Luara TSI (which is clearly better engineered but sells in basic trim- one doesn't even get climate control). So, clearly at any price point, you get some cars which are loaded but not so well engineered, as well as cars which are well engineered but basic.
From the cars being compared, the question seems to be between basic kitted driver oriented cars or feature laden non-driver oriented cars, rather than quality of engineering going into the cars development.

kaushikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 17:31   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is engineering? Ok: Sit inside a CIVIC and drive it, then immediately drive Elantra. I bet you will feel there is a difference in terms of quality (in everything). Thats engineering.
Now that's a new definition for engineering.

Hey, I think the thread is confusing.
Are you asking if one would prefer a better(segment?) car or a car with lot of gizmos (from a lower segment?). There is nothing about 'engineering' here.
Quote:
... On one end we have a POLO which is a high quality car ...
... On the other hand, we have the Indica Vista, which has a gamut of features but has quality niggles.
Quote:
... On one end we have a Laura which is a high quality car ....
.... On the other hand you have the Corolla Altis ...
Abhi, Polo is not exactly in the Vista segment. Polo is a premium hatch, and hence a much better car. IMO, same case with Altis. If you were comparing with Octavia, then fine, but Laura in India is placed higher than the Altis.

OK, I would prefer a Laura or a Polo with all the bells and whistles.. Now what?
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 17:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Give me quality any day of the week.
Can live without a few features here and there. as long as the basic safety features are present.
Also to be noted the more gizmos you have in the car, the more chances of something going kaput, sending you to the service centre again and again.
Again this is not a given, and there may be exceptions. But mostly the case.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 17:53   #28
BHPian

I'd pick a well engineered car anyday. Features are something you can always buy in the accessories market. Not quite the same story with the overall engineering & dynamics, engine, suspension, chasis, transmission, body, brakes etc are not the ones to be compromised for me.
JJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 17:57   #29
BHPian

Well I think VFM, Features, and Engg & Reliability are 3 different things. Case in point-Fabia 1.4MPi, which I own.

It has awesome features, which C segment cars are now launching with after 2-3 years and only i20 could beat, but had worse quality.
Engg and Reliability were suspect with many members having engine problems and others with AC blower rattle. No other issues came up and the rest of the car is brilliantly engineered. Touchwood, have never had issues in 3 yrs.
VFM is another story since it cost over 8L OTR bangy.

Same goes with Polo/Laura or even higher end euro cars. You need to buy the top end variant to get the best features, which some may think is not VFM. Reliability is a complete unknown with euro cars. On the other end, Japanese cars can be trusted with reliability, but lack features for their segment.

Last edited by nipunkul : 19th April 2011 at 17:59.
nipunkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 18:02   #30
BHPian

Quality wins for me. But lately, looking at the recent releases from so-called quality car maufacturers, it is about time, we REDEFINE Quality.

For eg. - The hideous looking interiors of the Toyota Etios is not good quality, no matter how good the engine might be.

And while we are redefining Quality, we Indians also need to REDEFINE VFM.

For eg. - The high selling Ford Figo is nothing but a bullock cart on 4 wheels, with a music system and a free Bluetooth Headset. Still we go ga-ga over this product and claim it to be a VFM. Just look at the basic and other premium features they have omitted to give you this Car Of The Year. Any other car manufacturer would give you such a BARE MINIMUM product at the price offered by Ford!!
SankalpDesai is offline   Reply With Quote