Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2011, 13:46   #16
BHPian
 
supertinu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 768
Thanked: 392 Times
Default Re: Dakshin Dare 2011 - TSD Rally - my report

Congrats Old Monk.

For ignorant few like me, can you please explain how the system of penalties work?
supertinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 14:49   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: Dakshin Dare 2011 - TSD Rally - my report

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR View Post
Congrats on winning the TSD to you and your navi! Enjoyed the brief chat with the two of you as well. Had a nice time trailing the rally, barring stray inconveniences.
Thanks Jay. It was nice meeting you too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Congrats Old Monk.

For ignorant few like me, can you please explain how the system of penalties work?
Thanks Supertinu.

Penalties: Depending on the speed chart and your start time, every TC has an ideal checkin time. If you are a second late at the TC, your penalty is 1s, and if you're a second early, your penatly is 2s. Penalty at each TC is added to your total penalty; so you can't compensate for a late penalty at one TC by checking in early at the next.
oldmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 15:16   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
Fordmanchau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,663
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: Dakshin Dare 2011 - TSD Rally - my report

Fantastic Oldmonk!! Congratulations to you and your Navi !!
So what's next on the platter ?

BTW: Why this handle, am I correct to guess where it comes from

EDIT: what's the logic behind penalising for a early check in?

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 24th June 2011 at 15:18.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 18:19   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: Dakshin Dare 2011 - TSD Rally - my report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Fantastic Oldmonk!! Congratulations to you and your Navi !!
So what's next on the platter ?
Thanks Fordmanchau. One-day rallies whenever they happen in Bangalore, and hopefully Raid in October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
BTW: Why this handle, am I correct to guess where it comes from
Couple of different roots, including the obvious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
EDIT: what's the logic behind penalising for a early check in?
Penalty is absolute value of actual time minus ideal time. So 'early' is also a penalty. Don't know why it is penalized more though.. May be to discourage people from speeding?
oldmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 07:56   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sudev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,435
Thanked: 1,914 Times
Default Re: Dakshin Dare 2011 - TSD Rally - my report

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk View Post
Penalty is absolute value of actual time minus ideal time. So 'early' is also a penalty. Don't know why it is penalized more though.. May be to discourage people from speeding?
Absolutely right. Since TSD rally's are held on open public roads without closing other traffic you are not supposed to drive fast.
sudev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 09:08   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 2,221 Times
Default Re: Dakshin Dare 2011 - TSD Rally - my report

Congratulations, Oldmonk. Fantastic show!
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 11:21   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: Dakshin Dare 2011 - TSD Rally - my report

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Absolutely right. Since TSD rally's are held on open public roads without closing other traffic you are not supposed to drive fast.
Thank you Sudev..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Congratulations, Oldmonk. Fantastic show!
Thank you Nilanjan. Lovely travelogue you have going on, btw..
oldmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 17:29   #23
BHPian
 
synchromesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: KA 05
Posts: 43
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Dakshin Dare 2011 - TSD Rally - my report

Congrats Old Monk! Thanks for the the nice videos!

Was the camera fixed in the car or was it shot by the navi?
Please upload the pics of the Grand Vitara as well.
synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 20:53   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: Dakshin Dare 2011 - TSD Rally - my report

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchromesh View Post
Congrats Old Monk! Thanks for the the nice videos!

Was the camera fixed in the car or was it shot by the navi?
Please upload the pics of the Grand Vitara as well.
Thanks synchromesh. Camera (Motorsport Racing On Board Camera: HD Motorsports HERO) was mounted on the windshield.

Still waiting for pics, will post when I get them..
oldmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 07:00   #25
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 52
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Dakshin Dare 2011 - TSD Rally - my report

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk View Post
If you are a second late at the TC, your penalty is 1s, and if you're a second early, your penalty is 2s.
Mindblowing ! How do you guys maintain such accuracy ? I am assuming the checkpoints would be 100-200 miles apart ?

Also, is there a place where I could access the rally route map for DD ? Is it published beforehand to the drivers ?
sarcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 12:13   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: Dakshin Dare 2011 - TSD Rally - my report

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcar View Post
Mindblowing ! How do you guys maintain such accuracy ? I am assuming the checkpoints would be 100-200 miles apart ?
200-300 miles is usually the total distance for a day. Of this, most is 'free zone' - no TCs, hence no need to maintain time in the zone. Though at the end of the zone, you have to be on time.

Competitive sections usually happen in spurts of 30-70km, with free zones between them so that cars can make bio/fuel/food breaks.

There is no set rule, but in this rally TCs were 5-10 kms apart. Teams follow different strategies, but we try to be on time every 200m. Navigator calculates ideal time for a point 200m from current position and tells driver; driver drives by looking at clock and odometer and arrives at that point on time. Meanwhile navigator has already calculated the time for next 200m and tells the driver. Keep doing this till a TC is encountered. '200m' is also not a rule - depending on current average speed, navigation/driving challenges etc., this varies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcar View Post
Also, is there a place where I could access the rally route map for DD ? Is it published beforehand to the drivers ?
Sorry, don't have the route map. Navigator is given a road book (excellent description here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1966024 (My Mughal Road Rally)) 15 minutes before each day's start.
oldmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 13:07   #27
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 52
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Dakshin Dare 2011 - TSD Rally - my report

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk View Post
Teams follow different strategies, but we try to be on time every 200m. Navigator calculates ideal time for a point 200m from current position and tells driver; driver drives by looking at clock and odometer and arrives at that point on time. Meanwhile navigator has already calculated the time for next 200m and tells the driver.
Thanks oldmonk. I am now beginning to appreciate the role of the navigator -- used to wonder. Now this 200m recalibration, do you do it during the entire drive or when you are in the "TC zone". Also, how do you know the TC zone; is that published before hand ?
sarcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 14:29   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: Dakshin Dare 2011 - TSD Rally - my report

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcar View Post
Now this 200m recalibration, do you do it during the entire drive or when you are in the "TC zone".
Calculations for 200m increments are done only in competitive sections. In a free zone, you just need to calculate the time you need to reach the end of the zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcar View Post
Also, how do you know the TC zone; is that published before hand ?
Yes, free zones are marked in the speed chart (given at the start of the day). E.g., (i) 67.23 to 75.51 in 120 minutes (ii) 100.01 to 105.00 at 5 kmph, etc. Usually cars reach the end of the free zone asap and wait for their time to start again.
oldmonk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 07:42   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sudev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,435
Thanked: 1,914 Times
Default Re: Dakshin Dare 2011 - TSD Rally - my report

Hehehehe....I super like this. Oldmonk is turning in to a teacher!!

But seriously since you and S... have mastered the art so well you should hold a class in Bangalore for wanna be TSD participants.
sudev is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 10:34   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: Dakshin Dare 2011 - TSD Rally - my report

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
you should hold a class in Bangalore for wanna be TSD participants.
No way! Bangalore has so many really good TSD navigators, they should do this! On my part, I keep bugging them to do so (take classes for aspirants, i.e.) whenever I meet them.. I shall stick to giving online gyan
oldmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti Suzuki Dakshin Dare Rally nravindra77 Indian Motorsport 16 7th August 2014 15:48
Maruti-sponsored Dakshin Dare Rally updates rules & ousts Mahindra XUV500 E63 Indian Motorsport 32 17th June 2014 08:58
Maruti Suzuki Dakshin Dare Rally 2013 RenuKumar Indian Motorsport 1 7th February 2013 10:44
Dakshin Dare Rally 2010 Karthik1100 Motor-Sports 39 5th July 2010 22:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks