Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2006, 09:48   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: goa
Posts: 146
Thanked: 18 Times
Default desert storm rally

Desert storm rally is to take place from 11 th to 15 th april 2006 in Delhi and parts of Rajastan.It is open to both pro and Nav sections for 4 wheelers as well as pro for 2 wheelers.The best part is the prize money which is a maruti gypsy for 1 st in pro and maruti swift for 1 st in nav. by the way pro section is for fully rally prepared cars , tough route and high speeds(stage format). nav is for normal cars , easy route and every day normal road speed ( TSD format).Sounds very interesting as the organisers say it is an international event. hope some one from team bhp is there.
rallystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 10:27   #2
BANNED
 
khaadu75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: same as the proposed venue for F1 ;-)
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallystar
Desert storm rally is to take place from 11 th to 15 th april 2006 in Delhi and parts of Rajastan.It is open to both pro and Nav sections for 4 wheelers as well as pro for 2 wheelers.The best part is the prize money which is a maruti gypsy for 1 st in pro and maruti swift for 1 st in nav. by the way pro section is for fully rally prepared cars , tough route and high speeds(stage format). nav is for normal cars , easy route and every day normal road speed ( TSD format).Sounds very interesting as the organisers say it is an international event. hope some one from team bhp is there.
Hey, Wassup ?? Where did u get this piece of info from ... coz I spoke to Mr.Raj Kapoor the other day and he didnt mention anything regarding the Desert Storm .. !! But that prize is really worth going for ... maybe this year with better prizes we see more and more entrants on the circuit ...

Favourite for this event I'm sure will be Sunny Sidhu from Chd ... !!

Cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 10:54   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NO IDeA/Madurai
Posts: 236
Thanked: Once
Default

khaadu - any idea about when and where the autocross will be held this year ?

cheers

zaphod
zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 15:56   #4
BANNED
 
khaadu75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: same as the proposed venue for F1 ;-)
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
khaadu - any idea about when and where the autocross will be held this year ?

cheers

zaphod
Hi Zaphod, I called the organisers the other day to check when they planning on doing the Autocross as I didn't want it happening between the 23rd Feb and 5th March as I'm of to Goa and they said that it surely will happen but not before March. So the venue I guess is still undecided and the Desert Storm happening around the 11th April so per my calculations it shud be 3rd/4th weekend of March and the venue will be someplace in Noida again ...

Where are you these days ??

Cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2006, 06:43   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NO IDeA/Madurai
Posts: 236
Thanked: Once
Default

Khaadu, I'm in Noida at present - might be going down south end feb/beginning march - might drive down in our palio as we need a car there as well and it costs too much to send it with a moving company.

So what category are you planning on in Desert Storm - going to go forcthe pro/extreme category ? or nav/reliability ?

If I'm in Delhi, I might also take part in Desrt Storm - in the nav category though. But I'll be there for the autocross.

I'll give Mr. J.D a call and ask him about this - my car anyway has to go in soon for it's 15k service.

Enjoy your time in Goa !

cheers

zaphod
zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2006, 17:48   #6
BANNED
 
khaadu75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: same as the proposed venue for F1 ;-)
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
Khaadu, I'm in Noida at present - might be going down south end feb/beginning march - might drive down in our palio as we need a car there as well and it costs too much to send it with a moving company.

So what category are you planning on in Desert Storm - going to go forcthe pro/extreme category ? or nav/reliability ?

If I'm in Delhi, I might also take part in Desrt Storm - in the nav category though. But I'll be there for the autocross.

I'll give Mr. J.D a call and ask him about this - my car anyway has to go in soon for it's 15k service.

Enjoy your time in Goa !

cheers

zaphod
Hey, I don't think I'll be doing the Desert Storm .. no car !! Though I wud have luved to take part in the extreme category, I have no clue about the TSD rallies format unless I learn from someone .. any teachers out here ??

Cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2006, 18:16   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,182
Thanked: 2,674 Times
Default

can anyone gimme the details of the desert storm rally? i would love to participate....
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2006, 18:25   #8
BANNED
 
khaadu75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: same as the proposed venue for F1 ;-)
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
can anyone gimme the details of the desert storm rally? i would love to participate....

Hey, let me know what kind of details do you want ?? You can also check out their web site .. www.motorsport.in !!

My advise, if you wanna do it in the extreme category make sure you are driving a gypsy as the cars have a tough time as its mostly run on a lot of sandy stretches and without 4X4 chances are you'll be waiting a lot for the tractor to come and bail you out ..

Cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2006, 19:02   #9
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,182
Thanked: 2,674 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
Hey, let me know what kind of details do you want ?? You can also check out their web site .. www.motorsport.in !!

My advise, if you wanna do it in the extreme category make sure you are driving a gypsy as the cars have a tough time as its mostly run on a lot of sandy stretches and without 4X4 chances are you'll be waiting a lot for the tractor to come and bail you out ..

Cheers
No extreme category... will be taking my daily drive esteem which is equipped with K&N, headers and free flows.... can u gimme all the A-Z info? am not able to open some links on the site
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2006, 21:25   #10
BHPian
 
ghostrider4385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 389
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Haha,
I remember an incident from last year. Some chap comes to the rally with some fancy alloys on his esteem. Even after being adviced to slap on some stock steel rims by many, he was like I'll win and show you guys. Turns out our hero's alloys cracked and broke on day 1! When will people learn that sometimes it does pay to chuck your fancy alloys for our old fashion steel rims huh?!

Godspeed.

Alok.
ghostrider4385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 11:39   #11
gil
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: delhi
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hey,I wanted to join the Desert storm rally,but no luck again this time in getting the car!!!!!! Poor me OOOOOOUUUUUU!!!!
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2006, 11:58   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 213
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Hay Khaadu75 ,
I ride a 3 year old Pulsar 180(HP-07-6351) and would love to participate in the rally. I dream of winning the Raid-De-Himalaya some day I think I should start with Desert storm .Well I also happen to be a Khadu and would love to learn more about rally from you .
Right now I just have my bike standard no other prepration please guide me how do i go about participation, regulation , licence and Insurance etc.

Bro , I miss Himachal more than any thing in my life its been 2.5 years since I left shimla for the sake of my freekinn job.
bhogalrajnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2006, 10:01   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NO IDeA/Madurai
Posts: 236
Thanked: Once
Default

i just spoke to one of the organizers from Northern Motorsport/Motorcraft - The autocross will be held in May and will be in Noida itself.

I was thinking of entering Desert Storm in the reliability (TSD) category - now , how hard is it to get the hang of the TSD format ?

Also what would be the minimum level of mods needed (and allowed) to make sure i don't end up as a DNF -

I was thinking -

1. Underbody protection/sump guard
2. I still have my original rims - so placing Ultima XR's on them - the michelins MXF's wouldnt be that good in the sand
3. Is a K&N advisable - the conditions would be very dusty - besides would that be allowed during scrutiny ? (and performance doesnt really matter in TSD)

Is it worth taking my 1 year old baleno for this - I could take my 96 esteem but I wouldn't like to try my luck with a 10 year old car - it is reliable but you never know what might happen.

If I do get the mods done - who'd be the best - Motorcraft/Performance Auto or our very own Arush(Autopsyche)- or even Niviit Bhasin - I think he also has a workshop - though these are just simple and very basic safety mods - not what Arush usually deals in

cheers

zaphod
zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Desert Storm'd into the Thar Desert and the Little Rann of Kutch //M Travelogues 67 28th November 2015 10:52
Desert Storm 2012 - TSD Rally - My report oldmonk Indian Motorsport 61 31st March 2014 14:50
From the Capital of the Desert State to the Actual Desert Vijay.Krishnan Travelogues 2 27th July 2011 11:04
Rana dose it again, This time in the Desert (Maruti Suzuki Desert Storm 2009) bhogalrajnish Indian Motorsport 2 2nd March 2009 22:38
Need help -- Desert Storm rally 2006 bhogalrajnish Indian Motorsport 3 10th March 2006 21:14


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:47.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks