Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 22nd July 2011, 10:15   #16
BHPian

Default re: Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added

I was confirmed but the only reason i didnt attent is because it was just a 10min event.
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:10   #17
BHPian

Default re: Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added

10 minutes ?? man !! That is not worth the time and effort we spend for reaching the venue. Did anybody attend the event ? Any reports ?
DieselAddikt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:41   #18
BHPian

Even i got a confirmation but after speaking to the Organizers, felt it was too much to travel from Bangalore for just couple of hours program.
As per Mr.Balaji, it would from 3.30 to 5/5.30 and the track is actually used for Driving license purpose which has the regular eight's, zig zag, etc..
rk_sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:01   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
.. because it was just a 10min event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
10 minutes ?? man !! That is not worth the time and effort ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
felt it was too much to travel from Bangalore for just couple of hours program.
Guys, I and swiftnfurious had attended the event. The drive lasted only 10 minutes, but the experience was worth a lifetime. Also, from 3:30 - 6:30, you could spend time inside rally cars, their mechanics, talk to the drivers, know more about the whole rally'n. If you were lucky, you could even drive with Naren. The only disappointment I had was, he didnt demo the Evo X he bought.

We also could meet and talk with Mr Yoshiaki Wada, (Head marketing and Channel Development) from Mitsubishi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
As per Mr.Balaji, it would from 3.30 to 5/5.30 and the track is actually used for Driving license purpose which has the regular eight's, zig zag, etc..
There was tarmac, but the track which we used were real mud track, which is used for testing an practicing.

P.S - Pics and reports coming up.
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:04   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Its an experience of a life time for us non-rally guys ! I was there, met bhpian dhanush and we had a good time. It definitely left us wanting for more, but we felt our 500 kms round trip was well rewarded.

Pics, Videos and report to follow soon. Till then, for your eyes...

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_3002.jpg

Our drivers [all 4 from left] Anyone wanna take a shot as who are those?

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_2981.jpg

PS:: I have a very average Digicam, so please excuse the not-so-great quality and my average skills in photography ! Dhanush has better pics with him and he will upload it as well.

Edit:: What a timing! Two of us [dhanush & I] writing almost the same content, posting it within a span of 3 mins !!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd July 2011 at 14:12.
swiftnfurious is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:29   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The drive lasted only 10 minutes, but the experience was worth a lifetime.

We also could meet and talk with Mr Yoshiaki Wada, (Head marketing and Channel Development) from Mitsubishi.
Nice to know that you guys had fun.

Did he hint about any new plans for India ? Why did they conduct such an event ? Any hints anywhere ?
DieselAddikt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:50   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Nice to know that you guys had fun.

Did he hint about any new plans for India ? Why did they conduct such an event ? Any hints anywhere ?
Basically they did to match the delivery of an Evo X to Naren Kumar who has been a Champion in INRCs. Also from the pics, the 3 guys from left are all currently leading the INRC and they all drive Cedia ! Hence this event to let people know whats so special about Cedia.

Future plans, some SUVs as we were told. No Outlander Diesel soon as they are working on their own [Mitsubishi] Diesel engine ranges. he said the current 2.2L Diesel unit is from Peugot or so and that's a "Europe only" sale agreement they have for that engine.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd July 2011 at 14:56.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 15:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi and HM are city-trotting with such events. I posted about Chennai event, Here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post2407775
Not on the field though, but a get together with Sirish Chandran (Overdrive), Rahul Kanthraj and Vivek Bhatt, Runner of INRC Chennai leg. Mistu's Dealer Developement Manager Yoshiaki Wada was also there.
RajaTaurus is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:12   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Default An Experience of a lifetime - A drive alongside professional rallyist.

Caution: I'm terrible at write ups.. Instead of narrating with pictures, I will narrate the pictures.

Event: RALLY OF COIMBATORE 2011" was starting on 23rd of July. Hence the top rallyist (who were all using the Mitsu Cedia) was there @CBE. Moreover, Mr Naren Kumar had bought his brand new Mitsubishi Evo X. Mitsubishi decided to make this a promo event by clubbing both, and giving the press and esteemed members (tbhp'ns) a feel of riding with rallyists.

Name:  Invite.jpg
Views: 4712
Size:  199.4 KB

My Story: I had some chores to do in Coimbatore, and was scheduled to be there on 21st. Unfortunately those got postponed, but then the good news was that I was still invited, and had a free day. Hence decided to drive down to CBE, with my friend and fellow enthusiast (non tbhp'n Jayadev).

I was driving from Sulthan Bathery and took the Gundelpet - Chamrajnagar - Satyamangalam - Coimbatore route. The drive took us ~4 hours. Total distance to destination ~240. The traffic was sparse and the roads were good.

On Our Way

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-my-way.jpg

Through the forests, which were the nest of Veerappan!. He is said to have trememdous ground support in this place.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-veeranppan-forest.jpg

Through the ghats.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-satyamangalam.jpg

We arrive early @1:00PM. There was only a tent with two guys from Mitsubishi, and a well modded Cedia with an Race FFE, Intake, and a Race ECU. At the spot. We had a chat with those guys, enquired what was going to happen. After which went and had nice veg meals, met some local friends and blah.. blah.. some un-interesting stuff happened and time passed in anticipation.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-arrival-cedia.jpg

Came back, and there.. Swiftnfurious had reached. We had some small talk, broke the ice pretty quick. . Signed up for the event, and immediately after which things started to get exciting.

The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X had arrived in a flatbed tow truck.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-evo-x-arrives.jpg

We all were excited and went over to check out the beauty. I was seeing my dream car for the 1st time in my life, and it definitely did meet my expectations and even more. I was looking at it, like a kid who had seen his favorite toy in the store. Literally drooling.

Swiftnfurious and me started feeling up the machine, and clicking pics. We discussed almost each part of the machine.. The tyres, the alloys, the pads, the dics, the hoodscoops the exhaust, the spoiler, the this.. the that.. the everything..

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-evo-feel-up.jpg

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-exo-feel-up.jpg

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-evo-feel-up-1.jpg

After which Mr Yoshiki.. oops.. Yashika.. no..no.. Mr Yoshiaki Wada (Head - Marketing & Channel Development) arrives in his white Mitsubishi Outlander. Very unlike his name, which I still cant spell correctly, Mr Wada was an awesome character. He was so polite, down to earth and typical Japanese. He patiently answered all our umpteen questions. We had a good discussion with him, and clicked a couple of pics. As per him, the there are no current plans for Mitsu to introduce its diesel outlander in India. Reason being the engine which is from Peugeot, can only be marketed in Europe. An all new Diesel is being developed by Mitsubishi for the outlander and will be launched in some ~3years. He thought, only that would make business sense. I silently wished only if he had studied the Indian market more deeply in his 3 year stay in Chennai.

My friend, Mr Yoshiaki Wada, Me

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-meet-up-yoshiaki.jpg

My friend, Mr Yoshiaki Wada, swiftnfurious.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-meet-up-yoshiaki-1.jpg

By the time our discussion was getting boring to him, the Evo touched ground. We all, including Mr Wada axiously went to check out the car. Clicked some cool pics of the mean machine. The Evo was indeed IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!!...

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-evo-x-unleash-3.jpg

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-evo-x-unleash-2.jpg

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-evo-x-unleash.jpg

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-evo-x-unleash1.jpg

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-evo-x-unleash-4.jpg

P.S - More coming up!
dhanushs is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:02   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: An Experience of a lifetime - A drive alongside professional rallyist.

While checking out the Evo, the rally drivers in their corresponding cars arrive!. wrrooooooooo.... wrrooooomm.. wroooom... wrroom.. It was music to ears.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-rally-cars-arrive.jpg

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-rally-cars-arrive1.jpg

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-alongside-cars.jpg

After which, all the guys get in to the presentation area, and there is an intro, followed by a few briefings by Mr Wada, Mr Sirish Changran, Mr Rahul Kantharaj and Mr Shailendra Hegde. Which is followed by the Key presentation.

Mr Wada presents the Key of the Evo X to Mr Naren Kumar.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-key.jpg

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-key-1.jpg

Immediately after, we were all over the rally cars, looking at this, that and what not. These cars were different from the street cedia's. Obviously, as they were rally prepped. There was weight reduction done, at every possible point. All the paddings, et all were removed. AC removed, rear seat removed.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-enjoying-feeling.jpg

Studded Tyres: Yokohoma Advan

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-studded-yokohoma-advan.jpg

Inside the hood of a rally car:
Notice the Apron's which are connected. To avoid flex. Also note the AC Compressor and belt all removed. The car runs a custom belt which drives only the power steering, Alternator and brake booster.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-sirish-car-hood.jpg

Insides of a Rally car: Comfort is the last word in the dictionary.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-insides.jpg

Sparco seats and seat belts:
Designed to litrally keep you FIXED to the seat, no matter what. You cant even strech to the dash to take something if you are strapped up.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-sparco-seats.jpg

Additional Boot and Hood fasteners:
Their job is to keep the hood and boot from flying off and obstructing vision. Stock ones give away considering the extreme stress those are subjected to.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-boot-hood-fasteners.jpg

Air Vents:
The only source of air(cooling) whist rally. As all the windows would be rolled up, to aid aerodynamics.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-air-vents.jpg

Monstrous Looking Air Filter: The growl is to die for!

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-mostrous-filter.jpg

The cars are said to run on custom made (local) dampers. No idea about the springs. Could not get enough time and privacy to wrench out more info about the cars.

P.S - Coming up, the rallying experience
dhanushs is offline   (20) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:06   #26
BHPian

Default Re: An Experience of a lifetime - A drive alongside professional rallyist.

Nice pics and write up Dhanush, eagerly waiting to read about the rallying experience !
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Amazing a friend drove us on that rally course a few weeks ago. The location is wonderful for not just rally, but also to learn basic driving. Lots of testing happens there.

Did you notice a track towards your right? Thats where the next radio control car race is coming up.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:58   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

hey, your write up is quite good.! And you have indeed captured a lot of details about the cars. let me add up a bit of my pics too.

Gee Dee Advanced Driving School invites....

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_2940.jpg

Drivers testing their cars before the rally weekend.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_2943.jpg

Meeting venue where the Evo X key was handed over to Naren Kumar and also where the INRC leaders talked about Cedias

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_2946.jpg

Evo X arrives in style..nah, lesser style !

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_2948.jpg

Bhpian dhanush in action

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_2962.jpg

Evo X being grounded

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_2964.jpg

Closer look at Evo X

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_2975.jpg

The dignitaries, Shailendra Hegde, Rahul Kantharaj, Sirish, Naren Kumar & Yoshiaki Wada - Head of Marketing.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_2981.jpg

Naren Kumar with his newly acquired beast which Yoshiaki San termed as Mitsubishi's PRIDE ! Lovely machine !

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_2987.jpg
swiftnfurious is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:58   #29
BHPian

Good review and waiting for more. Even if it was 10 mins i think you guys got what it should.
I should have made it for the event :(
rk_sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 19:10   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Yoshiaki San is a terrific guy, very down to earth. He spent enough time with us, listened to all our questions and answered those pretty well too. All of us were so happy & impressed.

We asked him why don't they think of bringing the Evo X as a CKD and price it lesser and he replied that it will not make business sense to spend a "bomb" to make a dedicated assembly line for Evo X unless there is substantial volume to look forward for. And he said that its not feasible to look at a good volume for this car.

He said Mitsubishi might introduce some more SUVs in future in India. He even took our pics with the Evo X

One of the low light of this event was most of the Cedias started giving up one by one with some or the other issues. But they still managed to give all the participants a ride in two Cedias. The only gripe we had was we could not get a drive with Naren. For all the people who attended, they had only one word for Naren's drive - AWESOME. And talks were that none of the current INRC leaders were not able to match his performance. No wonder he was the champion for 7 years.

All the 3 rally drivers were quite friendly and answered all our questions regarding the rally cars, sponsorships etc. It was a FANTASTIC event for us who probably will never ever even get to touch a rally car. I LOVED IT !

Edit
:: I have couple of videos of the action, shot from my digicam, but it runs into almost 200 MB for 2 min each. Is there a way we could reduce the size of these videos?

The work horses

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_2961.jpg

Sirish's car

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_2967.jpg

Shailendra's ride

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_2969.jpg

Rahul's...

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_2971.jpg

Dhanush buckled up and ready...

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_2993.jpg

Cars in action

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_2996.jpg

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_2997.jpg

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_3000.jpg

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_3001.jpg

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-img_3002.jpg

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd July 2011 at 19:27.
swiftnfurious is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote