Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 23rd July 2011, 03:01   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: An Experience of a lifetime - A drive alongside professional rallyist.

The Ride:

After checking out the cars it was time for the much anticipated ride. Swiftnfurious got into the 1st car, and I got in to Sirish Chandran's car.

The most interesting part was that Mr Wada from Mitsubishi, too had a ride with Naren. That was one ride, worth watching (I missed seeing it). All of the staff were all praises for Naren and his skills. I was silently imagining that if it was this good to see it, then how would've Mr Wada felt being in it?.

Sirish Chandran getting ready.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-rally-time.jpg

All strapped in, and ready for the ride of the lifetime.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-rally-time-1.jpg

Well, the start was not good, and our car had a power steering belt failure. It ate up about 30 mins of precious time, which was lost in more anticipation.

Finally, at one point, the ride started. There I was with Sirish and the sweet FFE music filling my ears. Wrrooom.. Wrroooom.. we go..

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-rally-time-8.jpg

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-rally-time-3.jpg

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-rally-time-2.jpg

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-rally-time-4.jpg

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-rally-time-5.jpg

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-rally-time-6.jpg

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-rally-time-7.jpg

Rallying was a unique experience for me. I was surprised at the level of concentration these drivers showed all the while. Ours was a short stunt, but then, I imagine that they traverse much longer distances and much higher speeds, which requires a very high level of concentration. Another thing in Rallying are the reflexes. The way they steer is completely different from normal driving.

The best part is when the car goes into a drift. Its an awesome feeling to be in there while the car drifts. The sound of the FFE, Intake and along with it, the sound of stones being thrown by those studded tyres onto the underbody is just bliss.

Braking too, is very much different, and depends on the curves. One common thing I noticed during curves is that, most of the time, the cars started accelerating from the 1st quarters of the curve, which lead to slight oversteer which was just perfect!. In almost all ways, Rallying differs very much from normal driving, and one needs to be present to experience it.
dhanushs is offline   (19) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 05:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: An Experience of a lifetime - A drive alongside professional rallyist.

Nice write up buddy. It's very nice/interesting to see that petrol heads like us travel 240 kms to attend an event of a lifetime. Although i've myself participated in autocrosses and motorsports along with being a Marshal in DS'11 but have never got the opportunity to sit next to a rally driver while he's racing.

I'm surely not going to miss such an opportunity if it comes along my way in or around New Delhi ( read 200-250 kms )

Last edited by harishnayak : 23rd July 2011 at 05:36. Reason: addition
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 07:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

You guys sure had a rocking time. Eventhough it was only 10 mins the whole experience must have been worthwhile. Along with the mental concentration physically as well it might be demanding in the full course. Did you feel any effects of it after getting out of the car?
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 07:12   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Give us more......enjoyed that write up and pictures
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 13:55   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Along with the mental concentration physically as well it might be demanding in the full course. Did you feel any effects of it after getting out of the car?
Its physically quite demanding. Once you are strapped to the recaro seats, you just cant move ! Its a 3 level strapping, two from both shoulders and one at the hip level.

The toughest part of the rally is getting in and getting out of the cars with those roll cage. It took considerable time to get OUT of the car once the race finished, even if it was just 10 mins. Through out the rally you keep getting tossed up and down with very limited movement due to the strapping. The seats are comfortable though. The ride is done with the windows rolled up and there is quite a lot of heat even without the race gears. What I noticed is that just after a 10 min drive, Rahul was all sweating. But then we LOVE all those stuff.

What I loved was the DRIFTING, we could feel the tail stepping out in the corners. Also the gravel and small stones hitting the underbelly create a lot of sound which is scary. And Rahul had a disclaimer at the beginning itself that the car was running on stock dampers and hence the drive was only 50% of the original drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Give us more......enjoyed that write up and pictures
I have some videos of the racing from within the car & from outside too. But since the size is big [200 MB], I am not sure how to upload it. Is there a way we could reduce the size of the videos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
I'm surely not going to miss such an opportunity if it comes along my way in or around New Delhi ( read 200-250 kms )
Absolutely, Its completely worth even if its 10 mins. I wish I could drive a car in a rally like this. It might happen after a couple of years.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 23rd July 2011 at 13:57.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 14:14   #36
BHPian

Oh!it all finished so fast.
You guys really had a blast. Waiting for some more pics of the mods done in these cars. Especially the cage, the suspensions( if possible)etc.
Truly, its a life time oppurtunity.
I can imagine the amount of concentration and presence of mind required to meet the speeds, in such circuits.

Good write up too.
Maverick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 21:25   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Time for the videos now.

Inside Cedia: Just see the shaking to understand what the driver & navigator go thru.

Spectator Angle:

swiftnfurious is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 13:36   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Time for the videos now.
Hey man!, cool videos.

Well, from the day I reached here, there has been no broadband for me. I'm running on the stupid datacard. I'll try to upload my video's too.. very soon.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 14:46   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Some of the mods done on the cars/ Differences from street cars (Just so, if someone is curious like me):

Weight Reduction: For the edge in better power to weight/torque. These cars have literally everything removed which does not aid in driving. AC, Rear Seats, Front seats are light weight, Alloys too are said to be light weight, all the paddings, floor mats, upholstery.. everything that can go.

Practicality on a street car: Believe me, it can get real uncomfortable. Unless you are using the car only for racing - not advisable. but then for temperory added performance, one can remove the rear seats and spare wheel for a start (as they are easily replaceable).

Armored floors/underbody:Well, when the cars are on these mud tracks, the amount of dirt, and stones that are ploughed is unbelievable. Unless you have an armoured floor, the OE floors will give away when stones hit the under body.

Practicality on a street car: Not needed for tarmac.

Boot and Hood Fasteners: These are used to reinforce the hood and boot in place. The OE fasteners/locks give way under the extreme stresses these are subjected to.

Practicality on a street car: Not needed. Street cars seldom encounter such stress.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-boot-hood-fasteners.jpg

Studded tyres: Used for mud tracks. Swapped to tarmac tyres while on tarmac.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-studded-yokohoma-advan.jpg

Roof Scoops: For letting in some air for the driver and navigator. With no AC, windows rolled up, and adrenalin pumping, it can get real hot in there.

Practicality on a street car: Not needed, If you have an AC, or can roll down windows.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-air-vents.jpg

Front Strut Bars: "A strut bar, strut brace, or strut tower brace (STB) is a mostly aftermarket car suspension accessory usually used in conjunction with MacPherson struts on monocoque or unibody chassis to provide extra stiffness between the strut towers.

With a MacPherson strut suspension system where the spring and shock absorber are combined in the one suspension unit, the entire vertical suspension load is transmitted to the top of the vehicle's strut tower, unlike a double wishbone suspension where the spring and shock absorber may share the load separately. In general terms, a strut tower in a monocoque chassis is a reinforced portion of the inner wheel well and is not necessarily directly connected to the main chassis rails. For this reason there is inherent flex within the strut towers relative to the chassis rails.

A strut bar is designed to reduce this strut tower flex by tying two parallel strut towers together. This transmits the load of each strut tower during cornering which ties the two towers together and reduces chassis flex. To accomplish this effectively (especially on MacPherson strut suspensions), the bar must be rigid throughout its length, and also attached to the firewall."
Source: Wikipedia

Practicality on a street car: I don't really know. It is said to improve handling, but I'm unsure of its effect on tarmac.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-strut-bar.jpg

Springs & Dampers:
Actually, most of the suspension parts are custom made (locally) for handling the extreme stresses involved.

Practicality on a street car: A street car doesn't need this level of mods for tarmac. Moreover for tarmac, one could do better with lowered springs and stiff dampers. Rest of the components can be OE, but would wear out fast of hard driving.

Intake: ALL of these cars had BMC Race Air Filter installed. These are monstrous looking, and do the job well. The growl too is to die for. .

Practicality on a street car: Advantages of a free flow filter has been discussed a lot more technically on the forum. More air = More volumetric efficiency = more power/stroke. but, please remember that more air always means, more dirt potential.

Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-mostrous-filter.jpg

Exhaust: All the cars have custom made Race FFE. Shailendra also mentioned that these cars need to have a certain level of 'decibels'. Also, the FFE's are performance tuned.

Practicality on a street car: Minus the sound, its very much practical, and is one of the must-do mods on an enthusiasts car. Just be informed that this would also mean cat-con goes and that would mean, more emission.

Roll Cage: For obvious reasons. Safety. Rally cars are said to be extremely safe. but then, once installed, it is said that the roll cage cannot be removed. If removed, the shell of the car crumples = scrap. Experts please add info.

Race ECU: Tuned for better performance. FE be damned.

Seats and seat belts: These sparco seats and seat belts are designed to keep you intact. Believe me, you cannot move an inch after you are strapped in. Quite needed, considering you will be thrown around if you are on OE seats and seat belts. They also weigh less.

Practicality on a street car: Apart from the functional aspect, they also look cool!
Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-sparco-seats.jpg

Insides: The OE steering is replaced to a more meaty, race steering. Suitable for rapid steering maneuvers. There are also switches for turning off the fuel in case of an accident, and also switching the ECU's (I guess). I do not know what the thing in the center is. Experts please chip in.

Practicality on a street car: Apart from the functional aspect, the steerings also look and feel sporty!
Want to ride shotgun with a rallyist in a Cedia? EDIT - Member Experiences Added-insides.jpg

Apart from this, the engine is stock. No mods allowed. Experts, please add/suggest more mods, if any.

Thanks.
dhanushs is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 17:01   #40
Team-BHP Support

Great report guys!

Seems like you had a fun time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Also note the AC Compressor and belt all removed. The car runs a custom belt which drives only the power steering, Alternator and brake booster.
Are you sure about the brake booster being driven by the belt? It should be running on vaccuum. Do rally cars have a belt driven vaccuum pump for some reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Dhanush buckled up and ready...

Attachment 581183
Is that Bhalinder Sangha? He drove the E-Class at the Merc star-drive safety demo we checked out : Link (Mercedes Safety Tech Demo - At the Mumbai Airstrip)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 18:43   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Great report guys!
Is that Bhalinder Sangha? He drove the E-Class at the Merc star-drive safety demo we checked out : Link (Mercedes Safety Tech Demo - At the Mumbai Airstrip)

cya
R
Thanx Rehaan. Nop, the driver is Sirish Chandran of Overdrive.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 14:08   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I do not know what the thing in the center is.
That must be the electrical mains cut-off switch (safety device), used to break the electrical mains when time calls
tantragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 05:51   #43
BHPian

Thanks for sharing guys. Wish I was there to witness the event cos after going through the thread I felt like to miss such a great event but the thing is wifey was not keeping well so I had to babysit my angel and we had no option. But the thread is too good with all details covered and especially the video part.
smrtdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 14:29   #44
Team-BHP Support

Oops (Though there is some resemblance in that picture only!)

Any idea if Naren plans to keep the EVO X bone stock or not??

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 14:36   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure about the brake booster being driven by the belt? It should be running on vaccuum. Do rally cars have a belt driven vaccuum pump for some reason?
Umm.. I think you may be right. This is what the Sirish's navigator told me. But, there is a chance that I heard it wrong. However, I have Shylendra's number. Will try to light up a discussion, using this.
Quote:
Any idea if Naren plans to keep the EVO X bone stock or not??
Well, as for Mr Yoshiaki, there is no need to mod the Evo . Naren did not talk anything about this, and funny thing, I didn't ask.

Last edited by dhanushs : 28th July 2011 at 14:39.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote