Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 12th October 2011, 14:52   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Red Bull F1 car goes sky high at Khardung La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I think some sections must have been levelled like anything for the F1 car. Still, the broken sections after south pullu is quite a challenge. Maybe because Omar was also coming, they must have made some temporary arrangements. By the way, there is a video?
Please share the link.
How much can they level and Red bull would have done what BRO has not done in years??

Here's the video link : Formula 1- A new high Red Bull Racing Show Car Run Khardung-La -- Motor Sports Videos -- Red Bull
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 12:48   #17
BHPian

I think some of the sections would have been on the back of a flatbed. The idea was to have a run at the 11K ft mark and at the Khardung-la climb. Raising the car is no big deal, since RB have already twice run the car in the gravel of the under construction Austin circuit. The real challenge was of course making the engine and grip work for the car.

125kph is low though given one of the bhpians said he did 85... in the same length of road the f1 car is properly gripping would hit 200+, but maybe the air did not allow them to take the risk of going high RPM.

They did have just 1 car and 1 day to do it, so the crew had to cover many risk factors to make this possible. Kudos to Red Bull!
nipunkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 13:00   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
I think its just publicity stunt and a just a sham!

The video starts off in front of Thiksey Monastery and then it veers off course onto the Nimmu-Leh highway only to magically appear back on the Khardung La climb!

What they have conveniently left out is :-

1. How did the car do the bits after the South Pullu gate?
2. Where did the car take a pitstop to change from racing slicks to grooved tyres?
3. And they not shown the car do the final few kilometers up Khardung La which are usually in a pretty bad state!

Raising the suspension of an F1 car, yeah right as if you can raise the height to even our usual hatch/sedan levels! The folks who have been there know that its next to impossible, unless the F1 track has recently been shifted to Leh-K La !!
The video shows them stop and change the tyres to wet tyres.

Obviously it is a publicity stunt. Why else would they do it. The bad stretch must have been done by loading it onto the truck. They were not out to prove anything or break any record. They were out there for publicity.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 15:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
I think its just publicity stunt and a just a sham!

The video starts off in front of Thiksey Monastery and then it veers off course onto the Nimmu-Leh highway only to magically appear back on the Khardung La climb!
That's definitely not Leh-Nimmu road and I can bet on that. The road shown is the Leh Khardung-La road (the starting section after Leh, to be precise). The twisties are the ones which you find just after crossing over from Leh. You can even almost see the Shanti Stupa at 3.45 of the video (which is visible from Leh-Khardung-La road at many stretches).

Yes, even I do agree that it's almost close to impossible for a F1 car to do the last few sections of the road but hey, neither me or you were there to know what might've actually happened. Even I think that they might've just used a flat-bed truck to get the car to the top but we still don't know yet for sure. And it's ofcourse a publicity stunt, not for some record or anything. Actually considering other roads in Ladakh, this road is pretty much better/easier to drive/ride than other high-passes, say Chang-La..

EDIT: Infact they did load the car on the truck, at around 5.50 you can hear the engineer telling that "Roads are very bad now... We'll change to wets and load it to the truck and make it to the top of that mountain. And hopefully the condition will be improved up there and we can do something". So they did load the car to the truck and took it to the top like that.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 13th October 2011 at 15:42.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote