Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 2nd March 2012, 17:09   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Desert Storm 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Question : Why no tracks or waypoints are provided for the Maruti Suzuki Desert Storm 2012 in the TSD categories?

Answer : If these are provided then what is left of navigation? Plus the calculation of target time at your position becomes a child'd play as you know your location exactly. And that is also why the TC's do not tell you their location.

So be prepared to compete by solid navigation and dead reckoning - Xplore & Ndure
Sudev Sir, during DS2012 I saw that most Navigators had very less work to do. Mostly all cars had a TerraTrip and a lot of the guys used the TSDMeter Casio calculator. In my opinion the TerraTrip throws out the challenge of the dreaded "ODO Correction" as the Navigators are able to easily take care of it.
The fun, challenge and excitement of a TSD Rally should lie in all the variables (TC, ODO Correction, speed changes) being taken care by the Skill of the Navi, rather than the Technology gizmo's taking over.
Your decision of not giving Tracks in Xplore certainly increased the challenge and gave a level playing field to newbee Navigators, similarly steps could be taken to ensure that a Navigator with his basics in place should score over Navigators from Factory sponsored teams with cars fitted with 2 TerraTrips, Trippy, TSDMeters, etc.
IMHO the extensive use of Gizmo's resulted in Penalties of a few seconds for most competitors, which if done the old way might have been in minutes.
The above is purely my opinion and might not be factually correct.
amitku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:37   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Nice to see a kitted Hilux!

Did the army folks do well? Saw a press release about army participation in Desert Storm.
In Extreme, Shakti Bajaj and A S Brar were probably in top 10. Endure had 3 teams, all first timers, and all 3 finished. One was even in top 10, which is pretty commendable..

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitku View Post
Sudev Sir, during DS2012 I saw that most Navigators had very less work to do. Mostly all cars had a TerraTrip and a lot of the guys used the TSDMeter Casio calculator. In my opinion the TerraTrip throws out the challenge of the dreaded "ODO Correction" as the Navigators are able to easily take care of it.
The fun, challenge and excitement of a TSD Rally should lie in all the variables (TC, ODO Correction, speed changes) being taken care by the Skill of the Navi, rather than the Technology gizmo's taking over.
Your decision of not giving Tracks in Xplore certainly increased the challenge and gave a level playing field to newbee Navigators, similarly steps could be taken to ensure that a Navigator with his basics in place should score over Navigators from Factory sponsored teams with cars fitted with 2 TerraTrips, Trippy, TSDMeters, etc.
IMHO the extensive use of Gizmo's resulted in Penalties of a few seconds for most competitors, which if done the old way might have been in minutes.
The above is purely my opinion and might not be factually correct.
Amit, you're right, using rally equipment is an advantage. It frees up the navigator do 'navigation'! But despite using devices, navigators still worked hard in DS. That's the success of the rally I think - route and terrain such that you can't win just by having expensive equipment on your side..

But why shun technology?

To make it a level playing field for everyone, I feel TSD rallies should have 3 classes:

Class I: Normal (HMS/non programmable) calculator with stock odometer.

Class II: Any calculating device (TSDMeter/laptop/phones etc.) with any odometer (Terratrip/GPS/stock) as long as both devices are independent of each other.

Class III: Devices that can both measure distance AND do calculations. E.g. ALFA Pro, any homegrown solution etc.

Btw, my DS report is here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...my-report.html (Desert Storm 2012 - TSD Rally - My report)
oldmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 10:04   #63
BHPian

Bumping this thread up with the 2016 edition of the DS around the corner. Can anyone comment if there is an amateur category for two wheelers? If yes what is the format because not sure if a Time-speed-distance format can work for bikes without a navigator.

Planning to participate but the steep entry fee for for the four wheel xplore category and the uncertainty of getting a navigator are deterrents. Hence exploring the 2W category
hothatchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 17:18   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

AFAIK there is only extreme category for 2w
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote