Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 9th February 2012, 16:37   #76
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: Charitable Drive : The 2012 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). On Sunday, 5th February

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
No disrespect meant to the serious rally participants, however isn't it against the spirit of the rallies such as BMR to be using such sophisticated equipment?
Spirit of the Rally? You're right.

I think Rallys have graduated to allowing gizmos, even BMR. If the rules allow it it's legal. It's like calculators being allowed in exam halls now, I remember in my days in college they were banned.

--Ramky
=====
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 17:03   #77
BHPian

Default Re: Charitable Drive : The 2012 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). On Sunday, 5th February

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
No disrespect meant to the serious rally participants, however isn't it against the spirit of the rallies such as BMR to be using such sophisticated equipment?
Usually TSD rallies are organized with very clear guidelines (especially if it is an FMSCI approved event), so that nothing is left to 'spirit'

I didn't take part in either rally, but googled to find these:

For Mumbai rally, http://mumbairally.com/wp-content/up...-BMR-Forms.zip. SR BMR 2012.pdf in that zip is the SR ('supplementary regulations'), which is the rule book. There is no mention of calculators/laptops/phones etc. in the SR, which means, you are free to use anything you want for your calculations. To see an example of what is NOT allowed, look at section 3.4. It clearly says that one SHOULD NOT use rally odometers.

Similarly, Ahmedabad rally has a web page - ROUNDTABLE CAR RALLY 2010 - Rules & Regulation Page - there is no mention of rally meters or calculators, so I would assume one could use whatever one wanted.

Coming back to spirit, if I was organizing either of these events, I would have, looking at the large number of non-regular TSD participants (Bangalore TSDs would kill to see 80 cars in their events!), put restrictions on equipment - only stock odometers and non-scientific calculators would be allowed..
oldmonk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 10:16   #78
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Charitable Drive : The 2012 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). On Sunday, 5th February

Here are some photos from my side. They have been shot the previous day (the trial run) and on the rally day till the flag off.

The cars lined up inside the NAB compound (the road outside was full of cars): You can see ACM's Aria on the left:

Name:  06970009.JPG
Views: 320
Size:  62.0 KB

The participants (mostly the navigators, as most of the drivers were ambling around):

Charitable Drive : The 2012 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). On Sunday, 5th February-06970010.jpg

Another photo of the participants:

Charitable Drive : The 2012 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). On Sunday, 5th February-06970011.jpg

The drivers' registration counter:

Charitable Drive : The 2012 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). On Sunday, 5th February-06970012.jpg

My navigator, against the backdrop of the sea and the setting sun (should have used a fill flash):

Charitable Drive : The 2012 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). On Sunday, 5th February-06970013.jpg

The Sea Link:

Charitable Drive : The 2012 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). On Sunday, 5th February-06970014.jpg

The setting sun (I avoided a direct exposure and instead caught the reflection in the waters):

Charitable Drive : The 2012 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). On Sunday, 5th February-06970015.jpg

On the rally day, at 7am or thereabouts:

My girlfriend and my wife:

Charitable Drive : The 2012 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). On Sunday, 5th February-06970018.jpg

A Mercedes, right behind our car:

Charitable Drive : The 2012 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). On Sunday, 5th February-06970019.jpg

An exquisitely done up Honda, owned by a bald guy who looked like Rakesh Roshan: Wonder why all those other stickers were not provided to all ...

Charitable Drive : The 2012 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). On Sunday, 5th February-06970020.jpg

My co-navigator for the rally, against the same backdrop, but in the morning (while we waited for the navigator to arrive):

Charitable Drive : The 2012 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). On Sunday, 5th February-06970021.jpg

We are lined up for the flag off (half an hour has already elapsed), you can see the other cars on our right, waiting for their turn into the line:

Charitable Drive : The 2012 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). On Sunday, 5th February-06970022.jpg

Some of the other cars waiting for their turn:

Charitable Drive : The 2012 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). On Sunday, 5th February-06970023.jpg

The photographer being photographed (there were about three or four, on both sides):

Charitable Drive : The 2012 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). On Sunday, 5th February-06970024.jpg

Our flag off, an anxious moment as we received the tulip and some last minute instructions (it's not correctly focussed though). The start of the flag off probably had the colonel, Dilip Vengsarkar whom we earlier saw on the sea face, at a morning jog.

Charitable Drive : The 2012 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). On Sunday, 5th February-06970025.jpg

There were a couple of other photos (not consequential) which were probably lost as I exposed the film accidentally, on the night of the Friday before the preparation day, as I wasn't sure the camera was loaded.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote