Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Closed Thread

Old 3rd February 2013, 05:55   #61
BHPian

Got No. 17.

I had a great time during the dummy run. Best to follow the distance clues than things like 'left on main road'. Their idea of main road and my own differed hugely
Old 3rd February 2013, 06:11   #62
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
My wife's #49. I'll drop in in the morning to meet you guys before i leave for my ITLS course at 7:45am.

BTW, what's the reporting time and where exactly is this parade ground.
The starting point is right behind NAB, I mean on the road behind NAB.

The drivers are supposed to reach NAB at 7am to pick up their navigators, and the navigators are supposed to reach NAB at 7am to be picked up by their drivers, however as usual there will be some navigators who will be stranded about in the city sans transportation, and there should be delays and confusions and the usual stuff.

The flagging off will start at 8:00am and my flogging off will probably start once I return home. They will flag off one car every minute.

I am at number 64, and as I am posting this, my wife is already sending out reminders for me to get ready and get started. I am going to pick up my navigator from her residence at Kala Chowky, and we are being flagged off at 09:04. Since there will be no breakfast at the venue, I see little point reaching there at 7 with stomach growling. The food will only be provided as you near flag off, and has to be eaten during the rally, which is mean. I shall be there before eight, however, and since I shall have picked up my navigator already, there shouldn't be any worries.

We took the dummy run twice, but I am sure we are going to screw up today as well. The navigator needs to be almost three instructions ahead, and the driver needs to remember these three instructions in his head. This is because there are many instructions mentioning (seemingly) inconsequential landmarks where you are to 'proceed straight', and just after 50 metres you have to take a left or right turn. The navigator cannot keep pace with the car in such instances.

Last edited by honeybee : 3rd February 2013 at 06:12.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 07:36   #63
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confi

I couldn't send across my entry in time. Thought I would jump in as a passenger in any of our team-bhpian cars. Woke up sick enough to not be able to make it.

Have fun guys and get lots of pictures.
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:04   #64

Guys just have a feedback , my navigator Ramkrishna is from amravati, they were called for the dummy run on 2nd feb, but no accommodation arrangement was made. So he & his freinds had to buy a ticket to nashik , spend the night in the train. This is sad. I am planning to give a feedback to the organiser. All the best guys do well.
Old 3rd February 2013, 14:07   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb event as always. Report with pics coming up soon (not today).
Old 3rd February 2013, 14:09   #66
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I ranked 4th of ~100 cars .

Nice seeing the familiar faces, and some new ones as well. Because of the new starting point (at the ground right behind), everyone was scattered across though. My starting position was 86 and Manson 44. Manson, being Manson, wasn't to be seen even at 0815 and his cellphone was switched off. So I conveniently swapped the starting position with him!

My blind navigator was Abhishek, a wonderful fellow who is pursuing his MPhil. He'd even gotten a friend along who is a PhD student. His first question upon getting in "What's the first prize?". After I fire up the engine and he hears the exhaust note, "Which car?".

The route was shorter this time and a whole lot more fun. Sunday morning meant lesser traffic...the free flow was singing. We were flagged off at about 0845 and back at the NAB at 1020. The runs of previous years were a bit too long.

Always good to drive for a cause. They had a counter for cash donations and I did see some BHPians lined up to contribute

Awesome Sunday. Till the next time!

Last edited by GTO : 3rd February 2013 at 14:14.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 15:21   #67
BHPian

Great fun to step out so early on a Sunday instead of the usual.

I was 17th to start off. The team, my navigator Joseph, his companion, and I were spot on till Plaza Cinema, till we got bamboozled by the left on NARK road, as read by Joseph before TT Circle. Circled around, retraced, spotted 8 cars go ahead, including Aditya's.

Then the next one that threw us off was that we had to go straight across LJ Road and then take a left. We took the left and ended up in Matunga. Retrace back.

To my horror, I discovered that the companion suffers from motion sickness. Brilliant idea to come for a car rally on potholed roads.

So after 4 panic stops, me opening the central lock as well as her trying to open the door at the same time, her look at 'I will throw up right here', the door magically unlocked every time, just in time. The tea, sandwich and samosa were deposited around various sidewalks. My leather seats were saved.

Then on till Byculla, Saat Rasta, Mumbai Central, Nana Chowk, Marine Drive, Metro, MG Road, University, Wodehouse Road, Nariman Point, NCPA was a breeze.

More so because the windows had to be kept open for motion-sick girl.

Then another snafu.

My navigator had been ignoring the distances in the Tulip. So we took the first right at the T-junction, instead of 4.2 km away.
Retrace. Read instructions 3-4 times before and from NCPA.

Babulnath, Peddar Road, Left turn to US Consulate, Cadbury Junction, Haji Ali, Worli Naka, Glaxo, and finally the left for the Worli sea face.

All 8 check points covered. And was placed 33rd out of the 102 cars. Great experience.

What was fantastic was that 98 cars made the effort and finished.
Old 3rd February 2013, 16:10   #68

Had a brilliant run today stood 40th. Not bad for a first timer. Lost some time as me & my navigator had to attend nature's call @ Cadbury junction( where we got lost as well, thanks to me). Exchanged pleasantries at Portuguese church junction with Gto. Also, I met Manish ( advertising creative director) from kalina. Nice chatting up with you as well. Manish, if you are reading this, you can touch base with me regarding classic cars. Please message me . Sorry I was too busy searching for my navigator. Met maximus as well, Aditya, darshan. Nice meeting you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Awesome Sunday. Till the next time!
Nice meeting you on Portuguese church junction. Love thy car, brilliant set of shoes for the civic must say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton View Post
Great fun to step out so early on a Sunday instead of the usual.

Nice meeting you Manish, let me know if you need the lead to the classic cars.

Note from Support :

Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.

Kindly do not quote a large post entirely. This hampers readability for our small screen users.

Last edited by Eddy : 3rd February 2013 at 19:57. Reason: Note Inline
Old 3rd February 2013, 22:37   #69
Senior - BHPian

@pikaxe, sorry to hear about your navigators' plight. Please do highlight the same to the organizers. My navigator mentioned a guest house for them whenever they stay up late for work. So I am sure it ould be arranged for next time.

True to my word I turned up at the venue minutes before my flag off, having already received the flogging. Also I made sure I hadn't lost the art of losing one's direction by missing the road to my navigator's home in the morning.

We had set a very modest objective of returning before lunch started, and we achieved it. Next year we are gonna try and complete the route as well. Slow and steady wins the race, as they say!

Coming back to the race, we too were confused by some NARK road. There were other occasions when I thought the navigator wasn't reading all the instructions, but there seemed to be some printing problem. One of the other paricipants we met during lunch had the same story to tell.

Last edited by honeybee : 3rd February 2013 at 22:45.
Old 4th February 2013, 13:10   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Nice seeing the familiar faces, and some new ones as well. Because of the new starting point (at the ground right behind), everyone was scattered across though. My starting position was 86 and Manson 44. Manson, being Manson, wasn't to be seen even at 0815 and his cellphone was switched off. So I conveniently swapped the starting position with him!
Rush, to burst your bubble, that 4th place actually belongs to my team
Have a look at the results on here: http://mumbairally.com/

Last edited by manson : 4th February 2013 at 13:12.
manson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 13:22   #71
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Rush, to burst your bubble, that 4th place actually belongs to my team
Oh well, as long as it's with a BHPian

I think us having swapped the starting position numbers has everyone confused. I see my navigator's name next to yours?

Congrats Manson!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 13:27   #72
Team-BHP Support

Some random pictures from yesterday's rally:

The Line up

Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confirmed-dsc01927-large.jpg

Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confirmed-dsc01926-large.jpg

Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confirmed-dsc01929-large.jpg

Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confirmed-dsc01931-large.jpg

GTO & team
Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confirmed-dsc01925-large.jpg

My car now sporting #86 decals
Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confirmed-dsc01930-large.jpg

My navigator Vikas and family
Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confirmed-dsc01932-large.jpg

Look what Vikas's daughter was upto whist we waited for the flag off Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confirmed-dsc01934-large.jpg

Our timing sheet
Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confirmed-dsc01936-large.jpg

Lunch
Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confirmed-dsc01941-large.jpg

Quote:
Oh well, as long as it's with a BHPian

I think us having swapped the starting position numbers has everyone confused. I see my navigator's name next to yours?
Yup, and Vikas's name next to yours. They probably forgot to update the navigator's names on their sheets.
Cheers

Last edited by manson : 4th February 2013 at 13:33.
manson is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 14:20   #73
BHPian

As a first timer, the rally was an awesome experience.

Me and my Navi Arun has decided during the dummy run that it doesnt matter we win or lose but we will complete the race. And we did complete it

Althou the results show we missed one of the TC, I am not sure about its accuracy and We had ensured all checkpoints were covered and the same was tally-ed with the signatures. It also shows my navi's name as Meena Marane which is incorrect.

Nyways, it doesnt hurt as in the end we are happy with our efforts and that is all that matters

Posting random shots taken during the flag off

Thats my ride !

Name:  NAB 001.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  138.1 KB

Me and my navi Arun

Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confirmed-nab-002.jpg

Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confirmed-nab-003.jpg

Thats Dippy, his navi and his friend ? (i guess)

Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confirmed-nab-004.jpg

Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confirmed-nab-005.jpg

Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confirmed-nab-006.jpg

Flag off

Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confirmed-nab-007.jpg

The navi and the ride.

Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confirmed-nab-008.jpg

Charitable Drive : The 2013 Blind Man Car Rally (Mumbai). EDIT : 25 BHPians confirmed-nab-009.jpg
dar3dev|l is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 15:42   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Superb event as always. Report with pics coming up soon (not today).

The results sheet shows that you have missed two time controls. Want to challenge that?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Final-RTI-BMR-2013-Results.pdf (12.2 KB, 516 views)
Old 4th February 2013, 21:17   #75
BHPian

Awesome pics. Thanks guys . Keep them coming.
I participated in only the 09 version but this one is close to my heart and always follow the build up and report every year.

BTW Which ground hosted the starting point?
Closed Thread