Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 9th May 2006, 19:26   #1
BHPian

Default DRIVER TALENT:- How do u judge a good track driver from a good street driver

What would be your say if you were given the choice as to pick a good driver....... what qualites would like to pick in him and on what aspects would you judge his talent for both on and off track driving...........
memo45_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 22:27   #2
BHPian

hmm... very interesting thread memo...

i personally would first check his left leg whether he rests it on the clutch or no.. since its a very bad habit of most people in india..

secondly i would check his posture, whether he leans forward or sits upright.. this according to me shows the driver's confidence..

thirdly, i would check his braking capabilities, whether he downshifts while braking or has the bad habit of keeping the clutch pressed while braking..

i would also jugde him by the way he launches the car in 1st gear (that says a lot about his control over gear shifts) and at what rpms he shifts gears.. these are the essintial qualities i would look for...

experts please fill in and correct me where i'm wrong...

cheers!
shrivz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 22:34   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

maybe a reference from his previous place too?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 22:41   #4
BHPian

A good track driver will always win the race and complete all laps in the shortest time, and a gud street driver will drive his car without many jerks, will change gears at the right rpm, will drive the car without knocking the engine ( that's something which i will look out for ).
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 22:42   #5
BHPian

hey shrivz you do look seriously but being a circuit racer myself i would always look at the way one would hold the steering wheel to show his level of confidence on nd off track...........But i do agree with your other points.........do let me know what u think- do good track drivers make good street drivers
Old 9th May 2006, 22:52   #6
BHPian

i was just going to edit my post to fill in that point... i totally agree... you also judge his confidence by the way he holds the steering..

i think good track drivers make good street drivers only if they realise that they're on a public road and can keep their cool while driving (they shouldnt get aggitated with slow moving traffic)... track drivers have driving skill else they would'nt be called track drivers...

Last edited by shrivz : 9th May 2006 at 22:54.
shrivz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 23:11   #7
Team-BHP Support

Exclamation point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo45_m
What would be your say if you were given the choice as to pick a good driver....... what qualites would like to pick in him and on what aspects would you judge his talent for both on and off track driving...........
what exactly are you looking for - are you looking for the differences between a track driver and a street driver or just a driver who's good everywhere?

a good track driver, while good on the track might not be very good on the street - even though he/she appears confident.
on the other hand, a good driver on the streets might be a complete failure on the track.

i'm a little confused here, as what the title depicts is something different from what has been put forward in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo45_m
but being a circuit racer myself
just curious as you've mentioned "student" as your Occupation in your Public Profile...
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 23:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

One word. Attitude.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 00:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz
hmm... very interesting thread memo...

i personally would first check his left leg whether he rests it on the clutch or no.. since its a very bad habit of most people in india..

secondly i would check his posture, whether he leans forward or sits upright.. this according to me shows the driver's confidence..

thirdly, i would check his braking capabilities, whether he downshifts while braking or has the bad habit of keeping the clutch pressed while braking..

i would also jugde him by the way he launches the car in 1st gear (that says a lot about his control over gear shifts) and at what rpms he shifts gears.. these are the essintial qualities i would look for...

experts please fill in and correct me where i'm wrong...

cheers!
all this goes for both street as well as race drivers, right?

In my view, a good track driver can be a good street driver, iff he wants to.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 10th May 2006 at 00:40.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 01:16   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Qualities that are important
  • Look ahead and anticipate events, not react to them
  • Sharp reflexes in case U need to react
  • Sharp reflexes for late braking
  • Ability to feel the limits of the car
  • Know when to back off
  • Keep cool when you are in a dogfight
  • Dont make mistakes when some one is tailgating you
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 07:44   #11
BHPian

ya i do agree the tittle is a little diff from the post but what i am looking for is your judgement on good street drivers- can they be good track drivers and the other way round too..........and what quality would u do the judging.......,

hi nitrous, remember the guy with the white siena on second track day.....
Old 10th May 2006, 09:36   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO, a good track driver knows his limitations and his car's limitations and pushes both man and machine to the edge of that limit.

A good street driver in India at least, has to be a good mind reader!!! He must be a good judge of what people around him are going to do and accordingly take action to ensure a smooth ride for those in the car as well as outside the car.

Amitoj
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 14:06   #13
BANNED

things to look in while distinguishing between a good track driver and a good street driver:

- style of tackling the corners on road, whether he is into straightlining the corners or just flows with the curve!

- extracting best out of car, whether he is revving it to redline in everygear or just changing them at proper torque.

- does he prefers AC / stereo kind of luxuries or is he into listening to lyrics of engine!

- whether he treats rear passengers as dead-weight/loose-luggage or cares for them while cornering hard!

- how much he honks on road!

- can he park the car properly in real tight situations?
trackers are worst parkers!!

- the way he takes-off from the pole-position on a red-light with a long smooth straight stretch in front of him!

- can he do minor repairs on his own like changing a flat tyre or replacing a fuse or push start the car, etc? trackers always looks for some help nearby !

- where does his left hand (in indian cars) stays on the gear lever or on the hand brake?!

- does he uses both his hands while making a full-U-Turn or just one hand is enough even though car is not assisted by PS?!

- does he uses RVMs to see following vehicles while changing lanes or just darts out of his lane and then makes another swerve in next lane?!

i guess this should be enough!
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 14:09   #14
BHPian

Good street driver - one who has a Corvette Z06
Good track driver - one who has a Koenigsegg CCX or a Williams Cosworth F1 car
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 14:42   #15
BHPian

a good track driver does not mean a good street driver. one of the reasons being that a track driver is not used to traffic and other vehicles in the opposite direction. similarly a good street driver does not mean a good track driver also. the two cannot be compared. but usually any driver who drives on the track is well versed in the rules and may be a good street driver. my two cents.
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote