Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 15th August 2013, 12:58   #1
BHPian

Talking My first race WIN in the Volkswagen Overdrive Vento Cup at the Kari Motor Speedway!

Motorsport (in whatever form) is something that is close to every automobile enthusiast's heart. You have Drag Racers, Rally Fans, 4x4 Offroad Enthusiasts, TSD Experts, Autocrossers, Drift Kings, Circuit Champions etc. Every enthusiast whishes to be a part of this in some way or another.

The doors to this amazing world opened in 2010 when I got an opportunity to participate in the inaugural season of the Volkswagen PoloCup. More on that here: (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ng-driver.html (My experience as a VW Polo Cup Racing Driver)) I wasn't able to continue racing after that due to multiple factors and it was over two years since I wore a fire retardant suit and strapped myself with a 5-point harness on a race weekend!

In the past two years I was completely inactive on the motorsport front. Work commitments and other excuses ate up some of my enthusiasm, but that had absolutely no impact on my burning desire to be on a race track.

Name:  raceavolkswagen.png
Views: 14972
Size:  62.3 KB

'Race a Volkswagen' was a contest organized by Overdrive that was doing the rounds on Facebook last month (July 2013). I sent my entry and forgot about it. A few weeks later, I received a call from Volkswagen Motorsport inviting me to participate in the Volkswagen Overdrive Vento Cup, which was an exhibition race during the Polo R Cup race weekend in Coimbatore from the 9th to the 11th of August. I immediately accepted, cleared my schedule for the weekend and booked my tickets.

9th August 2013, Kari Motor Speedway:
We were informed that the weekend comprised of the following:

FRIDAY: Two 30 minute practice sessions
SATURDAY: A 20minute Practice-cum-Qualifying session (10min Practice, 10min Qualifying)
SUNDAY: One 10 lap race

Soon after the briefing session, I went and got my seat position fixed in the race car that had been allotted to me. I interacted with the other paricipants and Polo R Cup drivers. It was time for practice.

Name:  20130809_143912.jpg
Views: 15132
Size:  146.2 KB

The first practice session in the morning was not timed, so we had no reference of where we placed. I used this to basically, get used to the track and the race car.

The second practice session was around noon and it was really hot by then. This time, the race officials had installed transponders on our cars, so it was a timed session. We lined up at the pit lane exit and sped off as soon as the green flag was waved indicating that the track was open. Two laps into practice, I heavily started losing grip and the car started to understeer. It was too hot and the tyres were screaming for grip. I backed off a little and started braking earlier, so my entry into the corners was slower, but that made sure that I had better mid-corner grip and get a quicker exit. That worked well for me and you can see it in the results:

My first race WIN in the Volkswagen Overdrive Vento Cup at the Kari Motor Speedway!-practiceresults.png

Last edited by shrivz : 15th August 2013 at 13:01.
shrivz is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 14:01   #2
BHPian

Default Qualifying

10th August 2013, Kari Motor Speedway:
Our session was again scheduled around noon. The first 10min were practice and after the green flag was waved at the start / finish, a 10min qualifying session would begin. I immediately went out on track as soon as the session started. I was trying different racing lines and braking points this time. What I didn't realize then was that I was overheating my tyres in the process. I started pushing hard as soon as qualifying started. Big mistake! My tyres had overheated, I had little grip and pushing hard only made it worse. Before I knew it, qualifying was over and the chequered flag was waved. I knew I had managed to put it one good lap somewhere during qualifying. The question now, was it good enough?

My first race WIN in the Volkswagen Overdrive Vento Cup at the Kari Motor Speedway!-_adi9759.jpg

My first race WIN in the Volkswagen Overdrive Vento Cup at the Kari Motor Speedway!-dsc_1572.jpg

The qualifying session results came out. P2. I was disappointed. I knew I had been stupid and pushed too much when it was not necessary. But I was aware of what I did wrong and I would not repeat the same mistake during the race. Here is the qualifying sheet:

Name:  QUALIRESULTS.png
Views: 14538
Size:  72.0 KB

Sunday's race was sure to be exciting!
shrivz is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 10:50   #3
BHPian

Default Re: My first race WIN in the Volkswagen Overdrive Vento Cup at the Kari Motor Speedwa

Here is an onboard video from the quickest lap in Practice 2.

shrivz is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 12:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My first race WIN in the Volkswagen Overdrive Vento Cup at the Kari Motor Speedwa

Let me be the first to congratulate you. Excellent work and great going.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 12:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Shrivz!! This makes me feel proud of you. Remember I asked you to join in on the Aamby run years back!! Keep it up, and Move!!
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 12:59   #6
BHPian

Hey, great going man. Nice read as well.
megazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 15:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations buddy. That sound I hear in the video is exciting enough to crave for more Keep it up and all the very best for more winning races.

Drive safe too.

Last edited by abirnale : 16th August 2013 at 15:03. Reason: typo correction
abirnale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 15:25   #8
BHPian

Default SUNDAY, Race Day!

Sunday, 11th August 2013, Kari Motor Speedway:

Our race was the first race of the day. The Pit Lane opened at 9:00am. I went on for an outlap and we lined up on the grid.

My strategy was very simple this time. "KEEP CALM", I kept reminding myself and made sure that my heart rate didn't spike due to anxiety and the adrenaline rush.

My first race WIN in the Volkswagen Overdrive Vento Cup at the Kari Motor Speedway!-startgrid.jpg

After the warm up lap the 5 second board was shown and the start lights came on, one by one. I was focussed. After all five lights came on, I suddenly heard wheelspin from the car on Pole. It was clear that he jump started. I almost did so myself as a reaction to hearing wheelspin, but I held my foot onto the brake just before engaging the clutch. I lost concentration and had a bad start. By the time I moved, the car in third place was on my side. I still kept calm.

We hurtled down the straight and I had perfect gear shifts. I outbraked the car in third place for the first corner and retained my position.

I was almost bumper to bumper with the guy on pole half way through the first lap. Before the last corner, I had caught up with him and was literally touching his bumper. I had a cleaner exit out of the last corner and was side by side with him on the straight. I managed to outbrake him on the first corner.

My first race WIN in the Volkswagen Overdrive Vento Cup at the Kari Motor Speedway!-c1.jpg

After that, there was no looking back. Lap by lap my lead kept on increasing. After maybe the 5th lap, I decided to back off on pace just a little since there was a hint of understeer through the corners. This one move made the gap increase significantly and by the time I crossed the chequered flag, there was a gap of 20 seconds between me and the guy in second place.

My first race WIN in the Volkswagen Overdrive Vento Cup at the Kari Motor Speedway!-finish.jpg

This weekend taught me something very significant. Its something very simple which for me is now the golden rule to abide by. "KEEP CALM! The more aggressive you get, the slower you go!"
shrivz is offline   (28) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 15:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Let me be the first to congratulate you. Excellent work and great going.
Thank you Vikram!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Congratulations Shrivz!! This makes me feel proud of you. Remember I asked you to join in on the Aamby run years back!! Keep it up, and Move!!
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
Hey, great going man. Nice read as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Congratulations buddy. That sound I hear in the video is exciting enough to crave for more Keep it up and all the very best for more winning races.

Drive safe too.
Thanks guys!
shrivz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 15:33   #10
BHPian

Default Technical Specifications

Here are the specs of the Vento Race Cars:

Name:  1157490_10153138246905441_940257534_n.jpg
Views: 17490
Size:  55.0 KB

Engine: Stock 1.6 MPFI with a free-flow intake and exhaust
Gearbox: Stock mated to a race spec clutch
Suspension: Sachs Dampers with Eibach springs (The same as the TDI PoloCup cars from 2010 & 11)
Wheels and Tyres: 17" racing wheels with JK competition grade wet weather tyres
Interior & Safety: Stripped out interior with stock dash and front door handles. Roll cage with a racing seat and 5-point harness. Fire extinguisher. OMP racing steering wheel.

Last edited by shrivz : 16th August 2013 at 15:40.
shrivz is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 15:50   #11
BHPian

Default Final Race Time Sheets

Here are pictures of the Race's result sheet

Name:  945794_10153147956345441_1434630934_n.jpg
Views: 13770
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  547482_10153147956575441_735092824_n.jpg
Views: 13714
Size:  16.1 KB

A BIG shout out to the entire team at Volkswagen Motorsport for this fabulous experience!

Last edited by shrivz : 16th August 2013 at 15:52.
shrivz is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 19:19   #12
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations Shrivz! Great going, a big inspiration to arm chair racing enthusiasts to get off and try their mettle in such events.
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 19:32   #13
BHPian

Proud of you bro and a bit jealous too I miss driving competitively.
Must have been a super experience.

I notice that the cars are 5-6 seconds slower than the TDI Polo Cup cars. How is the handling compared to those? Am I correct in noticing some braking instability at the rear?
jalsa777 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 19:47   #14
BHPian

Great going shrivz, Superb race. Your best lap time during race was 1.5sec faster than your qualifying run .

So, is this just a one off race or is VW planning to bring Vento cup just like the Polo.
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 20:07   #15

Congratulations shrivz!! Great to see the pictures and the laps! I did go through the Polo R cup thread that you posted. Could you please share a bit on these races, when they occur, how much are the fees, liabilities and paperwork required? Also, is the tsi polo in the running now? Thanks a lot.

And good going mate!!
DSarker is offline   Reply With Quote