Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 6th June 2014, 15:57   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti-sponsored Dakshin Dare Rally updates rules & ousts Mahindra XUV500

I think the Title of this thread does not do complete justice to the case in point here.

Maruti has nowhere mentioned ruling out XUV-500 specifically, whereas the topic name throws that impression.

I think this engine capacity capping is not unfair at all as not all rally enthusiasts can afford higher capacity vehicles. Clearly this will help it make more competitive and as someone mentioned it is a competitive event.

However, Maruti could have been fairer if it created another class for cars with displacement > 2l.
arit.mondal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 16:02   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti-sponsored Dakshin Dare Rally updates rules & ousts Mahindra XUV500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
And we know power to weight ratio is what matters, not absolute cc.
I think you are right to some extent that power to weight ratio is more crucial than engine displacement.

But I believe cars with higher displacement are usually loaded with better tech making them far superior competitors. That would harm the competitiveness of the rally sport then, won't it?

The best way to go about it could have been creating 3-5 categories of vehicles, entirely manually prepared from the list of SUVs available in India. But then that's my personal opinion.
arit.mondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 18:35   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
...I don't really see anything wrong with what Maruti has done. A lot of motorsport events have CC limitations on them to keep things fair. As someone had previously pointed out, Maruti's own Vitara cannot participate...
To keep CC limitations is completely fair; but keeping just two CC brackets are un-fair. Why cant they have couple of more brackets to include this high CC (>2000) to get high end competent vehicles?
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 19:14   #19
BHPian

The restrictions mean that Maruti drivers have to change their strategy as well!

Quote:
The restriction on the engine capacity means that Suresh Rana, who has competed in a Maruti Suzuki Dakshin Dare last year in a Grand Vitara, won’t be allowed to use it this year. “I’m not sure why this regulation has been put in place, but I am currently preparing a Gypsy for the event,” said the Maruti backed driver.

The restriction on entries means that the slew of Mitsubishi Cedias that have been prepared for rallying in the past and Mahindra SuperXUVs won’t be allowed to compete in the event. “It is entirely at the organiser’s discretion to restrict the event to a certain engine specification,” said J Prithviraj, president of the FMSCI. But given that the Dakshin Dare is not a one-make event, such a restriction seems more about exclusion than inclusion.
Source: http://overdrive.in/news/2014-maruti...ted-to-1600cc/
Batfreak is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 12:29   #20
BHPian

Even after 30 years Maruti still hasn't grown up. This is a cheap gimmick from a manufacturer who couldn't progress beyond small cars even after holding the monopoly to themselves when there was no competition. Its small cars and small vision. Time for them to introspect.
rajamuneeb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 16:34   #21
BHPian

I cant see much wrong with what has been stated. The modified rules of the game after all apply to all vehicles above 1600 cc. The XUV being impacted more than others is a pure play of number of XUVs sold. Also, this is only one event and the rules dont apply to other events. Why blame Maruti for that!! I think this move may have been misrepresented and misunderstood.

I guess the gimmick of manufacturer sponsored vehicles is far more unfair to the spirit of events like these. Private participants most often do not have the budget or the muscle needed. Big manufacturers may also influence rules and throw in freebies to make their mark. If ruling out manufacturer sponsorship is not possible / feasible, there can be alternative rules regarding max. amount of funds available to each team, etc. Private participation must be encouraged not only in participating in events but also in formulating rules which affect all participants. Pardon my naivety as there may be rules already on this. But if there are not, these gaps should be immediately plugged. Rules are meant to keep things on an even keel for all participants, hence this area must get some attention.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th June 2014 at 13:45. Reason: Merging back to back posts
rattanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 19:22   #22
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattanw View Post
... The XUV being impacted more than others is a pure play of number of XUVs sold. ...
Sorry, I did not understand this. How are the number of vehicles sold relevant?
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 19:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
Even after 30 years Maruti still hasn't grown up. This is a cheap gimmick from a manufacturer who couldn't progress beyond small cars even after holding the monopoly to themselves when there was no competition. Its small cars and small vision. Time for them to introspect.
While I agree that it is a cheap gimmick, I do not understand blaming them for monopolizing. Who is stopping others to complete with them? Isn't Mahindra monopolizing the market with sub standard Thar due to lack of competition?
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 20:01   #24
BHPian

As much as Maruti is running an "open" competition, it's inherently a marketing for its own brand. And considering Maruti doesn't have much presence in the higher cc space, i think it's perfectly alright for them to tweak the rules to suit their brand of cars. In the same vein, it'd do a lot of good if higher cc competitions are organized by neutral bodies.
arunkrishnan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 01:19   #25
BHPian

IMHO what Maruti has done by creating categories based on cubic capacity is perfectly fine. Otherwise the bigger boys will never give the smaller ones a chance for decent fight. What they could have done better is creating another category for CC > 2L, which will accommodate the XUV's, the Safari's, the Vitara's etc etc.
lal79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 10:21   #26

Maruti is perfectly well within it's rights to categorize the event into cubic capacity based sub events. Every sport does it. We do not have just three football matches in a year and then say, anyone from school sub junior to an international to be part of the team mix. Swimming has multiple categories , in terms of type of strokes to gender differences etc. Categories are created to expand a sport into a multiple event, so that equally placed competitors compete and a fair result of hard work and talent is seen. XUV is the boss here, only because there are no 5000 cc monster engines participating. Will Mahindra still be cribbing then ?
saranhere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 13:48   #27
BHPian

I am not sure what benefit Maruti will reap by positioning Gypsy for Dakshin Dare ? at least they have not barred non Maruti-Suzuki vehicles.
If Mahindra is hurt by this move and they are really serious about Indian motor sports, why donít they make their events open for all instead of Mahindra vehicles only? Or tweak their sub 1600 CC engine for rally with their great borrowed by AVL R&D ?
Point is, if you (Mahindra) are serious, show us by your initiatives as well !

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 18:26   #28
BHPian

I do not understand in what way is this beneficial to Maruti.
The main contenders in these rallys from the Maruti stable are Gypsy, Esteem, Baleno and Vitara. All of these are either discontinued or are hardly sold.
In my opinion, I think it is just fair for all the participants to categorize vehicles.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 21:47   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Because of things like this, the rally scene in India has never matured. Just when we think something good is happening, somebody somewhere decides his ego is bigger than the sport itself.
History repeats itself, that's all I can say
Hello tsk1979,
I think you have nailed the issue spot-on. I feel it is part of our genetic make-up. Elsewhere it is called the prima donna syndrome or the ostrich syndrome - maruti being the p.d. / ostrich who cannot withstand the onslaught of the M & M SUV brigade. So they do the next best thing - ban the XUV and bury their heads in the sand at the same time!

That brings me to my moot question - are any of the current SUV wannabes like the Duster, Terrano and the other assorted hatch-backs-on-steroids brigade likely to offer AWD /4WD in the near future without letting the price wander into silly territory ?
Shashanka
shashanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 16:47   #30
BHPian

Since the rule updation affects drivers who have participated in an MSIL vehicle till date, I am not so sure if its worth all the discussion.

They could have had different segments. That's another point. But I don't think this can be just to oust vehicles from other manufacturers.
DDIS is offline   Reply With Quote