Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 14th December 2016, 14:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Akbar Ebrahim elected as new FMSCI President

Former racer and multiple National championship winner, Akbar Ebrahim has been elected as the new President of FMSCI. FMSCI (Federation of Motor Sports Club of India) is the chief motorsport governing body of the country. Ebrahim was elected as the President at the 43rd Annual General Meeting of the club, and will be replacing Zayn Khan, who has been leading FMSCI since September 2015.

Akbar Ebrahim has been a part of the FMSCI council for the past four years. He is also the Chairman of the four-wheel racing commission. FMSCI also had elections for the eight-member FMSCI council, in which Akbar will be the councillor for the Meco Motorsports Club. Meanwhile, J. Prithviraj has been elected as the Vice President of FMSCI. He will be representing the Coimbatore Auto Sports Club (CASC) in the FMSCI council.

FMSCI has also decided to discuss the fate of Vijay Mallya, who is currently the honorary chairman of FMSCI and also serves as India’s representative in the World Motor Sport Council, which is FIA’s decision-making body. The club will be taking a call on the future role of Mallya in its next meeting.

Source: The Hindu

Name:  akbar.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  50.0 KB

Last edited by dZired : 14th December 2016 at 14:58.
dZired is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 17:25   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Akbar Ebrahim elected as new FMSCI President

Hope he gets the required funding & sponsorship support to set indian motorsports back on track.
I have seen him rallying at very close quarters, when i as a pimply teenager, used to marshal rallies, many years back, at the Eastern Motorsports Association, Kolkata events.
By God - was he fast and how! At that time Hari Singh used to rule the roost, but the sheer pace of Akbar, (he was not totally bald at that time: he had a tuft of hair on his pate! :-), through the stages used to make others look as if they were piloting perambulators in a park! Unfortunately he was mechanically very unlucky and somehow or the other - fate or otherwise - robbed him of consistent podium finishes.
A petrolhead to the core, he not only understands what it takes to make motorsports tick, but also understands cars down to its last nuts, bolts and suspension geometry.

Hopefully he will be able to steer Indian motorsports, especially, rallying & racing to new heights of excellence.

Wish him all the best !
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 14:39   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Akbar Ebrahim elected as new FMSCI President

Many congratulations to Akku (Akbar Ibrahim). I have had the privilege of having known him for a few decades, though I have not been in touch in the recent past. I have had the privilege of being part of the tuning team (ECU mapping) when Late Karivardhan had built a Gypsy for the IASC rally. This was, in my best knowledge, the first MPFI engine that was adapted for an Indian car. The car was built to Grp A-II specifications where there was a lot of room for modifications. My involvement was to work on the ECU to ensure the power band of the engine remains from 1000 to 7500 RPM. With the expert support of Kari, we were able to get this power delivered on that Gypsy. Great was that man who was able to bring his thoughts into existence from scratch and one who always wanted to be a pioneer.
swissknife is online now   Reply With Quote