Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Closed Thread

Old 26th March 2007, 14:42   #46
sAP
BHPian

Arrow 10 seconds of fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
She sat thru all 3 sessions and was actually urging me to push the car harder.
That takes a lot of guts. Riding shotgun in much scarier than it seems. By the way, here's the video clip I promised:

The LGB Hyundais were fast but required constant correction in the corners. Either that, or the anti-histamine medication I had in the morning was working too well.

sAP
Old 26th March 2007, 15:22   #47
Senior - BHPian

The Skyline had a problem with one of its Shocks.So, it was just limping on the track.
Does any sweet team-BHPian have a picture of me driving on the track??
Its a red ikon,if u can't remember.
Old 26th March 2007, 15:34   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

nitrous, I dont have any snaps of you on track, but you should be in the video that I took. But you will have to wait some time before I can post it here. Its an old cam with the PC interface not working, so I need to wait till the tape is over and then get it written to a CD by professionals.

BTW, you were not really pushing the car, were you ? Even on the straights it was kind of slow. My wife was like "Hmmm. nitrous is driving so slow." If a novice is to say that ...

Or maybe it could be because she has seen the JK tyre cup races earlier where guys are competing and thus are fast. Compared to that, track day might look tame and also the sound levels are lower.

I was very tempted to get the Baleno on track, but wifey would have nothing of it. Maybe next time.

adi, it was brave of your wife to ride shotgun. Maybe it helped that she does not know driving, so the fear is less. But still it needs guts.
Old 26th March 2007, 15:47   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB
BTW, you were not really pushing the car, were you ? Even on the straights it was kind of slow. My wife was like "Hmmm. nitrous is driving so slow." If a novice is to say that ...
She's right. I was slow with the 58bhp motor.I almost dozed off at the straights, mostly just one arm on the wheel. I was as fast as 90% of them on the corners,but then come the straights.At quite a few instances, i was using the fourth gear out of the final corner while everyone were revving their japanese engines in the second cog.
To everyone: if u have a very slow car and U dont have company with that kind of power on the track,Call me!
Old 26th March 2007, 15:50   #50
Senior - BHPian

LOL Nitrous. You should have swapped cars with n_aditya.
Old 26th March 2007, 16:01   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
I was slow with the 58bhp motor.
The Ikon puts out only 58bhp ?
Old 26th March 2007, 16:02   #52
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics guys, lots of nice cars there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
9. An exotic bike (or so nitrous tells me).
WOW that's a KTM Duke!!! Lovely bike, who's the lucky chap Nitrous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
What was this doing on the track? Don't tell me the guy rode this round the track!!
Old 26th March 2007, 16:08   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
What was this doing on the track? Don't tell me the guy rode this round the track!!
Actually he (the white guy standing beside headers) did. And he was the slowest. Maybe he was there just for the fun of it. Like one tall boy that ran with the Porsches and other big boys.
Old 26th March 2007, 17:48   #54
Senior - BHPian

How about a more detailed report, guys? Am I the only one who sits for an hour to write a report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
AP regd Honda almost banged me and N_aditya also had the same complaint. I checked out to findthat this guy's called 'Anand Akkineni' who is a professional kart racer-school kid and drives a Nissan 350Z.
AP reg car was Anand Akkineni or Aditya Akkineni? Didn't know he had a 350Z!
Old 26th March 2007, 17:51   #55
BHPian

Thumbs up fun and games at the track!

The short of it, had a great time, especially with the formula Hyundai/Swift and the race esteem. Short of words to describe the thrills of speeding around couple of inches above the ground. First experience for me, and one I hope to repeat every track day from now. And thanks a ton to all the folks who organized this event, I am sure this was all a ton of hard work. Of course, there were some minor niggles etc, but then, for the most part, great work guys...

And now the slightly longer version. Started at around 5:00AM from Bangalore. Met Ajmat at the Silk Board flyover, and we took the GQ. Many of the others had taken the old madras road the previous night. I think the total distance was around 350Kms, and we made it in 3 hours 15 mins. And Ajmat's VTEC sounded heavenly, and his cars exhaust note made up for me not having one(I drive a Diesel Elantra for those who came in late). Time included couple of stops as well. Went straight to the mallu Bakery next to the track where we got some breakfast, and then reached the track around 9:00AM. Promptly learned that the car sessions has been postponed to the afternoon, and spent the rest of the morning loitering around the pits, taking in all the "sights", and I only mean the SBKs and the Sports Cars. Apparently, they were having some problems with the new tarmac coming loose when the cars were on, and they wanted to send in the bikers first to avoid any mishaps.

Took my car out for a few laps, and since I did not want to blow up my brand new set of Michelins (did that the last track day), I did not throw the car around. Was carrying spare set of old Bridgestones, but sadly did not get the time to change to that. And the first few laps were complete mayhem, found cars going off at most of the initial corners.

Then got into the Formula Hyundai for my 10 laps. The first 3 laps, I was completely taking it easy. Believe me, it takes getting used to the lack of good brakes, and made me very edgy. And then, it is a new feeling when you are sitting with your legs completely horizontal, or mostly horizontal. Legs a wee bit too long for getting a proper posture, even in the Formula Hyundai, which was probably the largest of them all. Around lap 5 I started feeling at ease, around lap 8 started getting the shifts right, and then it was over... More laps next time. Except going off the line at C2 because I braked late, no other mishaps. Also realized I am too used to ABS/EBD doing the hard work for me, and did lock up front wheels couple of times.

And then I tried the Formula Swift. Got in, moved around 10 meters, dabbed the brakes, and realized it practically had no brakes, at least comparing to what I am used to. Heard from others that this particular one was just too bad, the other Formula Swifts were much better. Did not want to go out on track with brakes that bad, and the brake lever assembly was loose, and was moving around, got scared and did a round of the parking area to get back to pit lane(guess you are not supposed to drive in reverse, even in the pit lane) without entering the tracks. Couple of amused onlookers in the parking lot moved some stuff around to let me get back. Spoke to the pit mechanic, who explained that brakes are kept that way on purpose because otherwise people keep spinning around at corners. He is right in a way, but man every time I braked, it was definitely scary. Never completely enjoyed the swift, was driving around very carefully, and liberally used engine braking to slow me down. Saw many others throw the same around with gay abandon, probably just me not used to that kind brakes.

And the gear shifts are kind a crappy on these cars, but then the only two gears you need on track are 3rd and 4th. And those two shifts work fine.

Next up was the race esteem. That was more familiar territory, and after being scared by my instructor for the first lap, took the first two laps slow. And the max speed I could do on the second straight was 130Kmph. And he was not really allowing me to rev beyond 4000, kept showing me fingers(4 of them, thankfully) asking me to shift to 4th every time the needle neared 4000. And does anybody know what is the top speed achieved by the race esteem on the straights, in race tune?

And through this all, the heat was taking its toll. Drank countless bottles of water, but still got terribly dehydrated. Was in bad shape by the evening. And then was in Psychos room chilling out when couple of hotel employees wanted to lock the room, with Psychos stuff still inside, because they wanted to give the room away to "guests". Realized after throwing the hotel guys out(literally) that the "guests" in question were some of the organizers in trouble because they did not have rooms to stay in. Sorry guys, no offense meant, just was mighty confused by the hotel guys standing around with keys, actually trying to lock up the room.

Stayed only for a day, had to get back to Bangalore and more mundane matters like grocery shopping etc. Had a good breakfast at the hotel, a "p"it stop at the second toll gate, and then a looong coffee break at the reliance plaza near Hosur.

And after that experienced the first real silly trouble with my car since I got it. The car suddenly started overheating, tried slowing down, was no use. Switched off the A/C, and temperature promptly dropped back to normal. Called Psycho, who rightly diagnosed the problem, and that was the larger A/C radiator cooling fan was not working. Thought it was a blown fuse that time. Got it checked today morning, and it seems the mount for one of the relays in the fuse box came loose, got it fixed without any charges, just time wasted in the morning...
Old 26th March 2007, 18:07   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
How about a more detailed report, guys? Am I the only one who sits for an hour to write a report?

AP reg car was Anand Akkineni or Aditya Akkineni? Didn't know he had a 350Z!
The AP registered 350Z was driven by anand akkineni ...Cuz as far as i remember he had a 350z . And that kid ..belive it or not actully runs a racing team in the national racing championship called Gemini Racing .
Old 26th March 2007, 18:49   #57
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
Realized after throwing the hotel guys out(literally) that the "guests" in question were some of the organizers in trouble because they did not have rooms to stay in. Sorry guys, no offense meant, just was mighty confused by the hotel guys standing around with keys, actually trying to lock up the room.

Hahahaha .. Heard about that from vasu .. It must have been frigging hilarious seeing you throw the guys out by the scruff of the neck .. Too bad that it was JD , farhan , krupi and robin who were going to join psycho and gang ..
Old 26th March 2007, 18:57   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more snaps

Old 26th March 2007, 19:22   #59

hey..does anyone know whos silver mondeo that was?? no. 1771
Old 26th March 2007, 20:31   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

OK so it is my turn to post now.

First the report and then the pics ok? please be patient... there are a lot of pics.

Wake up at 5.30 am on Sat and after getting ready i meet Anirudh and his colleagues, Nitrous with his gleaming red ikon, Madan80 with his spanking new shiny palio at the toyota showroom on Poonamallee high road.

My wife's best friend was to be joining us but couldnt make it due to ill health. I was now getting anxious as to what my wife would do after 1 session. Sitting in the pits all alone getting bored is not what either of us wanted as her friend was comin along just for company.

We headed to a nice resto on the highway after some quick paced driving thru early 7.30am rush hour truck n bus traffic.

Nitrous overshot the turn and proceeded to make a U turn with me following him. I finally joined them at the resto after co-ordinating with madan... thank God for the cellphones.

A good 30 mins was spent on an elaborate breakfast comprising of dosa's, idli's and vada's. I used the time to make the already nervous first timer Madan80 more nervous and he in turn tried to hide it by the usual "i was here first even though ur car is faster" talk... Met supremebaleno and his wife Sheena at the resto.

After breakfast a fast drive to the track. Entry to the track was laid out with banners publicing the Polaris ATV's and the trackday. The excitement started building up until we learnt that the cars were running in the afternoon.

Took myself and my wife along to see the SBK's and the monster or should i say Monstress (Skyline)?

Lazed around snappin pics and videos of the bikes in action and then went to take a look at the polaris ATV's.

Headers tried out the ATV for 5 laps and returned for an additional 5 laps... Boy was he havin fun...!!!

Then it was time for the formula session and i took the formula swift for a spin... literally... i spun the car big time on c4 and couldnt get myself out of the grassy patch. The recovery van had to be called for and i returned to the pits and to my slightly worried wife. Apparently supremebaleno was right behind me when i spun. After an inspection (car and driver) i went on to complete the remaining 4 laps and this time i was cautious not to push her very hard.

Boy was that embarassing. The swift was powerful but was lacking good brakes and handling.

Headed to rent out the formula Hyundai's but the session was closed for lunch or was it or wasnt it? boy there was lot of confusion. Finally made up my mind and we (SB, sheena, Me and wifey) went for lunch.

Didnt have the mood to eat as i was disappointed with myself for the spin and i was wondering what else was in store for me.

Just as lunch was almost getting over the car's were being inspected. We (Wifey and me) headed out into the pit lane from the paddock's as the car's session started.

Took the first session relatively slow (all thanks to the earlier spin) and my wife was getting bored. She was prompting me to go faster and i promised her i would, once i get a feel of the track.

Couple of laps later i managed to pick up speed and i also managed to overtake madan80 and also nitrous just before the last turn.

I must say that nitrous was driving well. He was a lil slow during the first sesion and for a lil bit of the second session. but after that our anna was really pushin the lady in red. The car wasnt very quick on straights but took corners with ease.

I was not very keen on pushing my car over 100kmph on the corners as i was running stock suspensions.

After the 2 sessions i returned to complete my formula hyundai session and i was contemplating on whether i should go for it or not as i was not too keen on another embarassment. Said to hell with it and i slipped myself into the hyundai and took off... Surprisingly she was much better than the swift. My opinion may be different than some others but i was pushing the car really hard and there was no sign of loss of traction or poor handling whatsoever. Enjoyed it much better than the LGB last time and the swift.

Took my car and my wife for the last session in my esteem where i saw a black lancer spin wildly (from the track to the grass on the right - back on the track - to the grass on the left) with 4 cars behind it all managing to avoid smashing into it. Sadly i couldnt capture it for later viewing as my 1GB card was full and also my camera batteries were maxed out.

Oh yeah i almost forgot, there was another blue swift (session II) which i was trying to overtake. I dunno why the guy was feeling challenged and tried to shake me off (maybe my exhaust note). we werent racing and he wouldnt let me get past.

He finally spun off on c2 and i managed to stop just in time (he was right in front of me after i let him go past) and i completed the lap and when i was close to finishing the next lap i saw this blue swift had eaten the tirewall just before the last turn.

Another irritating driver was the much discussed AP regd. city. The car was madly driven and was tryin to squeeze under my car much to my irritation (and nitrous's - he also faced the same pressure). I almost lost it on C3 when this guy was tryin as hell to overtake on corners.

Finally finished the day with no more incidents. I badly wanted to get a drink as i was dehydrated to the core. But our teetotaler nitrous was too tired to drive vikram and me (after the drinks) around so we wrapped up.

Last edited by n_aditya : 26th March 2007 at 20:37.
Closed Thread