Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Closed Thread

Old 26th March 2007, 23:35   #76
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
adding to Tadu's details - he has stonking headlights and sailed away into the horizon, I was struggling with a pitted windscreen, relatively weak headlights and bamboo polies and roadworks on an unlit Hosur road.

Before Hosur, had to contend with the 32km/h truck over taking one at 30km/h. Drivers were acting as if piloting a ship, looking around and checking for course corrections every 5 min. Had fun doing power launches at toll booths!!!
Talk about it .. We had to contend with bullock carts popping out of nowhere on the GQ road .. Least to say i did regret taking the road though we made it from MG's to the track in 3hrs .. Also found it hard to find a decent chai shop , all i could notice is endless miles of road ahead .. And the tolls ..

Ajit , you got lucky !! While returning from the last track day we had to contend with 40 trucks that were drag racing with each other at nothing more than 10km/hr .. I dont remember having gone into 2nd gear for over 7kms .. That i guess is the worst motoring minutes of my life ever .. Another reason why i prefer the OMR ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam
Can anybody post the videos of cars in action pls.. i have never seen or been to Track day ..i mean how different is it compared to speedrun?
I have a few videos but the cam is with my friend .. Shall upload them tomorrow .. Got a beautiful video of the blue carrera flying .. Jitu , one cant compare Speedrun to a track day .. They are different in their own league .. Too bad that you couldnt make it .. We really did miss your presence .. As a consolation , we are planning to go to the tracks sometime next month for some testing .. See if you can make it for some first hand experience ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 26th March 2007 at 23:40.
Old 26th March 2007, 23:36   #77
BHPian

Can anybody post the videos of cars in action pls.. i have never seen or been to Track day ..i mean how different is it compared to speedrun?
Old 27th March 2007, 02:17   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post

Trackday is a completely different experience bro though its the same kinda people jamming up here too. There is no tension, very little comparison, very little expectation and unlike predictable winners in a speedrun here its full of surprises... Here you will see an esteem putting an evo to shame sometimes or may be a swift giving a baleno, its bigger sibling a run for its money by virtue of some better driving!!! The whole experience is about friendly people extending suggestions and valuable tips (whether you want or not ) unlike a drag strip where people take all the pain not to reveal their hidden formulas for a better reason ofcos...

Trackdays feel much more evolved/mature genre of motorsport in comparison to drags... atleast this is what my contemplation suggests.

p.s: End of the day you will end up differenciating 'all talks and no go' from the rest clearly, thats the best part!!!LOL!!!

Last edited by The Wolf : 27th March 2007 at 02:21.
Old 27th March 2007, 02:19   #79
Senior - BHPian

I hear there was some overtaking in the pit lane too. I know just how frustrating it is when you're in the zone, pulling off some hot laps, and the dolt in front is on a Sunday drive. When you flash a couple of times, and he doesn't pull over, whatcha gonna do? I guess, from the comments and reports, it was only the more experienced drivers overtaking in corners etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Tadu gets into "Dirty Harry" mode and "makes their day" punk.
He actually has this written on his windscreen!

Nitrous anna, it's obvious when someone blocks you, they're either not using their RVMs or are just plain stupid.

Jitu, track day is way better! Trust me, I've done both and you can't beat this.
Old 27th March 2007, 09:16   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Wonder where the rule of overtaking only on the main straight disappeared off to at this point ?? I am not trying to point finger at anyone here but just want people to understand that when a car that is clearly much faster than the one in front is approaching kindly move across .. ..
True - at that point in time, there was only about 10 cars around the place. The nonsense that i talked about happened right in the beginning with 20 cars virtually inches from each other. I used my mirrors but there were a lot of novices around!

BTW - are there any vids of my vtec in action, just curious to see what the outside view is like!

Last edited by ajmat : 27th March 2007 at 09:19.
Old 27th March 2007, 09:28   #81
BHPian

This will probably help guys who have never been to track to better visualize what the guys are talking about when they go "went of the line at C4". And I am no track expert, if we could get one of the track experts to give a commentary of the track, explaining the Cs, and what you try to do at each corner, I am sure that will help a lot of folks understand what this is all about? Who is game to help?

And thanks for finding the Google Earth image goes here Chennai Race Track at Irungattukottai -- Sightseeing with Google Satellite Maps
Old 27th March 2007, 11:34   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post

Completely forgot to tell you guys .. Psycho , v1p3r and myself have this pic on our cell phones .. Since we werent used much to the long loop did some research before leaving to chennai .. Ajit , tadu and the rest next time when we meet kindly remind me shall send it across to you guys as well ..

Well let me try and explain the track to the guys who are new to this .. The corner that one can see just over the IMAGERY word is the swooping C1 .. Here you have to go flat out uptil the arch , dab the brakes slightly , stay as wide as possible and start cutting in with the throttle only going down .. Entry speeds will be about 100+kms .. Then stay on the outside for the trecherous C2 .. Downshift early , break early and turn in so that you apex it right and get back on the outside from C3 .. C3 is a little tricky and requires one to turn in a little early and then the "S" curves can be straightened .. Once you power up from C3 all the way upto C5 (long loop left hander) one will be on full throttle .. Its very important to stay as wide as possible , once again downshift and break early and get the apex right stick to the centre of the track and then find the next apex before turning into the everlasting right handed loop ..

Not that far away after you exit the loop one will have to break and turn left for C7 and yet another long loop kinda turn .. After that its full throttle all the way upto the sharp right hander which is by far the 2nd most dangerous corner after C2 .. I have seen most number of cars get it all wrong here .. Then a medium left for C8 (80kms) which gets you back on to the exit of the short loop .. Flat out from here , just lift off the throttle and turn in for the sharp left hander .. One has to get this section right , or else all the way upto the bridge one could loose time .. Perfect apexing at all the corners leading upto the bridge is the key here .. Also C9 is the slowest corner on the track .. After one passes the bridge stay on the outside , flat out till you are a few feet from the kerbs on the left and start turning into the main straight .. Speeds on the straight vary from 120-160kms depending on which car .. Hope that helped .. Will try to mark the lines on the pic and upload it in a while ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 27th March 2007 at 11:48.
Old 27th March 2007, 11:41   #83
Senior - BHPian

@Mcl: People who want to overtake are the ones who need to get off the racing line and back on it. Its not the other way round.
Im 99% sure about this and i would like Sideways or bikerSG to comment on this.
Old 27th March 2007, 11:50   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice report there, aditya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
I must say that nitrous was driving well. The car wasnt very quick on straights but took corners with ease.
Yes, this was what I also was thinking. Usually people (me too) blast away on the straight and slow down at the curves. So it seemed surprising to me to see him doing it slow on the straights. Anyway the skill is in taking the corners and if he did that well, that is all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
People who want to overtake are the ones who need to get off the racing line and back on it. Its not the other way round. Im 99% sure about this and i would like Sideways or bikerSG to comment on this.
I think you are right nitrous. I remember reading this in the instructions emailed by the organisers.
Old 27th March 2007, 12:16   #85
Senior - BHPian

SB, one more thing.
My car is Non-Power steering-ed!
Old 27th March 2007, 12:26   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
SB, one more thing. My car is Non-Power steering-ed!
nitrous, with you at the wheel, does the car even need power steering ? A weight-lifter needing assisted steering ? No way.

Talking of power, another thing that could have worked against your car could be the power-to-weight ratio. While the other cars had either 1 or max 2 people in them, your poor Ikon had to lug around 3 people.
Old 27th March 2007, 12:29   #87
Senior - BHPian

But your arms & shoulders are powered !!!
Old 27th March 2007, 12:31   #88
Senior - BHPian

But overall nitrous, it is easier to manage an underpwered car on such circuits than have enough power..i am saying this because this is a handling circuit with not much scope for top speeds.. We did well on the flats - as well as our vehicle would permit..The turns are where we need to perfect,,without tyre squeal..and get the apex right..

I'm sure each of us learnt a lot by being on the track..

And MCL - generally..in racing..unless blue flagged, a slower car can block the faster car and still manage to WIN the race..By letting a fast car move would be like handing over the WIN to him..

Incase you watch F1, you may get the picture..!!

Ofcourse this was contrary to what the track day rules stated,,! :
Old 27th March 2007, 12:36   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
@Mcl: People who want to overtake are the ones who need to get off the racing line and back on it. Its not the other way round.
Im 99% sure about this and i would like Sideways or bikerSG to comment on this.
Yes and i am certainly aware of that and i can assure that is exactly what the OHC guy did amongst others (includes me too) .. Pardon me i guess going off the racing line and overtaking you guys is what is the cause of concern here .. Because you werent expecting it or werent watching your mirrors (now you got to take a pick) .. If one is that scared , get off the racing line or watch the quicker car go by on the inside .. Thats the end to it .. You cant stick to the racing line and at the same time not expect the faster car not to make a move on the inside .. You cant have both sides of the coin anna ..

Here is a rough sketch that i have made wrt to the lines .. One can see tha im really bad at this .. But still it would give people a rough estimate on which side of the track the car ought to be ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
And MCL - generally..in racing..unless blue flagged, a slower car can block the faster car and still manage to WIN the race..By letting a fast car move would be like handing over the WIN to him..
If i am not wrong there is a certain number of limitation on the number of times you can block a faster car .. Yes i do know the rules of F1 and also i hope you remember that a backmarker can get black flagged for the very same .. Also between two competitors for the top spot one is allowed to block only once , the next time you go the other way to block you will be taken to task .. Do keep in mind that THIS WAS NOT A RACE .. Also if people were listening to the briefing properly there was also a mention of "moving and letting the faster car go through" .. Wonder how come no one heard that ?? If one listened to the ''overtaking only on the straights" wonder why no one heard the other one .. Its just called suiting yourself and omiting the rest .. I do hope that guys realize that with such gibberish we may not get a chance at another track day or with changes to suit this it wont be as much fun either ..

Key points to drive well on track is :
1. Know the limitations of your car and yourself ..
2. Watch your mirrors ..
3. Have good presence of mind , split second decisions is what is required ..
4. Break early , downshift early , remember the golden rule .. SLOWER ENTRY FASTER EXIT ..
5. The lesser the steering is turned the faster the car is .. Steering at full lock only reduces the amount of power going to the wheels that can be put to the ground ..
6. Being smooth is the key to a quick lap .. Not sliding across ..
7. Also when you get to a corner make sure that you get on the throttle in such a way that you dont have to go off it all .. The throttle should gradually go down until the full power is reached ..
8. Know the handling of your car , characterstics (depending on FWD , RWD or AWD ) wrt to weight distribution , oversteer and understeer..
9. Most important of all have a cool head on track ..

All these are the points that were told to me by a few people .. I learnt a lot from these .. Hope it helps the others too ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 27th March 2007 at 12:46.
Old 27th March 2007, 12:37   #90
BHPian

guys the pics are amazing any idea when is the next track day would love to come.
Closed Thread