Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Closed Thread

Old 27th March 2007, 15:55   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
Are you referring to n_aditya ?
I don't think he was rash. Infact I would love to ride shotgun on his sweet-sounding Esteem too, if not for the fact that it is permanently booked by his wife. So no chance there.

P.S. : Before anyone else takes offense, let me make it clear that the "safe and steady" comment was intended only to highlight nitrous' driving skills and the "rash and sorry" was not aimed at anyone on the forum.
Old 27th March 2007, 16:20   #107
sAP
BHPian

Arrow The big picture

I think the idea of track days is being grossly misunderstood, especially with the number of *crashes* being reported lately.

A good strategy worth considering for a beginner is to try out his own familiar street car on track first and drive within his confidence level. After settling into the scheme of things, he should try pushing it a little so that he will know where he or his car is being challenged.

A person who's never tried his/her street car on the circuit may never get to know the dark side of his/her vehicle -- which could be key in determining the outcome of an unexpected and demanding road situation.

Once he's got his own car figured out, he should try one of the race esteem saloons and see how that is configured differently. It probably will be a narrow learning curve from his existing street car minus the stiffer steering, lack of refinement and track bounce. He needs to choose whose car he wants to rent -- which basically determines the quality of his on-track instructor-led training.

Next, and if it interests him, he should probably try out the smaller formulas which are even more different than the race saloons. It brings in an added feeling of being enclosed and strapped into a very narrow space with limited movement -- which wanes rapidly after a lap or two on track.

Irrespective of what he is driving, a driver always needs to stay focused within his level of confidence on the engineered product that he is enclosed in. A sureshot way is to start slow -- which helps to build a confidence level that is realistic.

Look at it as something similar to courtship. If one misjudges too early, he can lose it before he gets a chance to build up the relationship. But later after some seasoning, he can misjudge a bit and still get away with it.

For a good driver, his competition is always himself. His track objectives are to explore minor variations to the racing line, identify braking/throttle reference points early in the game, get his consistency up, look out for less experienced drivers and never to get throttle-happy under pressure.

If he's always proving himself to others, he's wasting his time. Same goes for talk.

Hope this helps.

sAP
sAP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2007, 16:40   #108
Senior - BHPian

I was just joking. Of course with his wife beside him, he couldn't have been rash even if he wanted to.
Old 27th March 2007, 17:35   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I was just joking. Of course with his wife beside him, he couldn't have been rash even if he wanted to.
Not Rash... But read the post..His wife was actually telling him to drive faster..Some people have all the luck

Godfather
Old 27th March 2007, 20:14   #110
BHPian

so since rental is out of question so can i come shotgun with some one .
Old 27th March 2007, 20:58   #111
Senior - BHPian

waaahh! whats this about pay and practice next month?
Old 27th March 2007, 21:01   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shan2nu, Wolf: What happened during your rental esteem drives? Or can someone here fill in the details?
Would you believe it if i told you that my top speed on track was a mere 80kmph and that i posted a lap time of 3min 38secs at an average speed of 62kmph?

For some unknown reason, all the lines being taught to us were wrong and i was being heavily restricted in terms of acc and top speed (prob due to SSJR's unfortunate slide/crash in the same car, the previous session).

This will prob be the first and last time i'l ever rent out a race Esteem.

I had more fun riding shotgun in Fahad's (Gray) Swift than i had driving the race Esteem. I'm not saying that the Esteems aren't fun but averaging 62kmph isn't something any of us look forward to, especially when we pay 230 bucks per lap.

Hopefully, i should be able to get my Vtec (or Innova) for the next track event. That's something i'm really looking forward to.

Even so, i think the track day on the whole, was awesome with some really good cars/bikes showing up this time. Sideways, Biker SG and the others really did an excellent job in organizing the whole thing.

Please keep us updated with the track event being organised in the near future, will surely be there.

Shan2nu
Old 27th March 2007, 21:07   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Please keep us updated with the track event being organised in the near future, will surely be there.

Shan2nu
And this time take your VTEC... what are you holding on to that for..

Godfather
Old 27th March 2007, 21:40   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Ask Shan2nu,Wolf and others about their experience driving a rental esteem.
Hehe, my esteem session was awesome...felt like I was driving on some hill station with my grandpa beside me...acting all grumpy and discontent!!LOL

The best I could manage is a 2:25sec with my mentor asking me to take the lines I would never imagine to take on that track taking into consideration the traction the track esteems provided. Its was such a shame not being allowed to take that car beyond 120kmph(only once that too, my best lap one). Cmon, I mean I wouldve clocked under 2.20sec consistently if given a chance!!!

The track esteems grip like crazy and any rookie can clock some phenominal timings on it but unfortunately the professionals, who control you as if you are some bluetooth enable cyborgs, accompany you seem super underconfident about everything you do, I mean everything....finally resulting in 10-20 laps of jolly ride and a whole lotta gyan to keep you entertained while you might doubt yourself succumbing to a few sessions of quick siesta's amidst all the drama

The LGB Hyundais were absolutely tragic, dont even wana speak about em!!!

Never the less, all that ends fine is fine, so.........no more complaints!!!

Final verdict: Get your own car and do your own thing.

Last edited by The Wolf : 27th March 2007 at 21:41.
Old 27th March 2007, 21:42   #115
Senior - BHPian

@WOLF -- You did not take your car to the trackday??? I thought that you were dying to test it??

Godfather
Old 27th March 2007, 21:52   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Not Rash... But read the post..His wife was actually telling him to drive faster..Some people have all the luck

Godfather
Yeah, i did see that. Was just kidding my pal, a new bridegroom or maapillai as we call it here.
Old 27th March 2007, 21:52   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
@WOLF -- You did not take your car to the trackday??? I thought that you were dying to test it??

Godfather
U kidding me bro...not once did I say Im gonna take my car on to the track...I wanted to test it on the street and not at the track. Morover my car aint unisex, its drag special!!!LOL!!!

Well, I wanted to drive it till sriperumbudur though but decided otherwise as we were too many cars and too less a people!!!
Old 27th March 2007, 22:40   #118
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post

The LGB Hyundais were absolutely tragic, dont even wana speak about em!!!
Final verdict: Get your own car and do your own thing.
What exactly happened with the Hyundai's ritesh ? I do agree that driving your own car is fun , but after trying out the LGB swifts i beg to differ .. Infact i am looking for someone who could rent out his swift for like a half day so that i could go and practice .. Looking at it seriously now since JD said i should be racing and not practicing on tracks days ..

Ritesh , a DRAG car is 15 secs of fame , takes a lot more money to achieve a lot less .. But a track car will give you a lot more satisfaction and will cost you a lot less .. You dont need brute power , what you need is good handling and a good nut behind the wheel .. Hoping to get there someday ..
Old 27th March 2007, 23:30   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Morover my car aint unisex, its drag special!!!LOL!!!
YEah. Putting it in female terms. His car is like a girl with big br****s. Not a sexy dancer.
*run away before wolf becomes werewolf*
Old 28th March 2007, 00:04   #120
Senior - BHPian

Ok, children. I just got a youtube in-car video of me doing a lap on the track. This is the last session of the last day and i was just cruising.Pls no haters!
Sit back,relax and enjoy!

Closed Thread