Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 1st June 2007, 11:46   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Shan, I will be going to coimby on tuesday. Have already spoken to the track manager regarding the track day. Now awaiting final dates. Track will be free only after the 2nd week of july. So will keep you guys informed. If possible might be taking the baleno and the SX4 on the track next week for some testing. If they are leniant on allowing cars without roll cages.

RT, do you by any chance have the results sheet? Or a pic of the drivers who got selected? Because we were acquainted only by faces and helmet numbers. There was no time for intros.

I still haven't received a reply for the results, was expecting them to send the group photo too but...

I had a whale of a time. Many of us should try and make it for such events in the future. Its worth every penny.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 1st June 2007 at 11:49.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2007, 13:28   #17
BHPian

amrut was the tall guy with a slight beard
and rafel was the wierd beard
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2007, 22:28   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
amrut was the tall guy with a slight beard
and rafel was the wierd beard
The same guy with the Rayo Racing suit? Who I pointed to you? And whats that 16yr old kids name? That guy advumber must be that slightly tall thin guy.

Paras, why dont you put up your experience too?
Old 2nd June 2007, 01:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Good going. Haven't really had a chance to talk since you returned, and this thread is a welcome narration.

Gemini Racing is owned by Gemini TV?! If you had told me, maybe we could have done something...
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2007, 04:25   #20
BHPian

Isn't Gemini racing owned by Akkineni family from hyderabad? IIRC this was mentioned on some other thread.
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2007, 13:48   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
RT, do you by any chance have the results sheet? Or a pic of the drivers who got selected? Because we were acquainted only by faces and helmet numbers. There was no time for intros.
No. Sorry. No results sheets.

Audumber Hede is the 2006 Runner up for the Indian National Karting Championship (winner was Ameya, one of the judges).

Amrut Kadam finished 8th in the INKC, and Mazdayar finished 5th and Raunak Patil was 12th.

BTW, how come you've never taken part in a National Karting Championship before Mcl? Make sure to enter this year.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2007, 14:00   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
BTW, how come you've never taken part in a National Karting Championship before Mcl? Make sure to enter this year.
Infact I did get an invite to take part in the national championships at danny's karting centre many years back after having beaten the lap record by a good 1.5sec. Alas, my parents who still think that studies are more important than sports wouldn't give me perm (actually it was my mom though dad had given the money to take part. Didn't want to upset her). I have had to pass on quite a few offers like these. Was also one of the youngest Indians at 10yrs to get selected for a state U-18 team for cricket way back in 1996. I see Robin Uthappa whom I was supposed to take a fight to playing for the country now. Though not quite as well as I had expected, that kid does have some talent. Had to let go, once again after being selected for the state football team. Its just a blessing that my folks have relaxed a bit now.

RT, was actually planning this year. But people keep telling me I am too old to go back to Go-Karting and fat. But I am looking at it seriously. I really am.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 2nd June 2007 at 14:04.
Old 2nd June 2007, 20:31   #23
BHPian

mazda is currently driving in the INRC
chetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2007, 23:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Was also one of the youngest Indians at 10yrs to get selected for a state U-18 team for cricket way back in 1996. I see Robin Uthappa whom I was supposed to take a fight to playing for the country now. Though not quite as well as I had expected, that kid does have some talent. Had to let go, once again after being selected for the state football team.

Could have had our own Jonty Rhodes if you had played both cricket & football.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2007, 01:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Rahul good luck dude. Things will fall in place its just the matter of time and don't be dis-heartened.Therez always a 2nd chance you know .

Quote:
Could have had our own Jonty Rhodes if you had played both cricket & football.
Right now he fits the bill for bowling.Bowling as in,along the alley.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2007, 01:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Rahul - good you made the trip because the experience will stand you in good stead.

Try not to worry so much about judges and spectators the next time around - from your post it looks like your thoughts were on them all the time.

What has happened is now behind you - there's nothing you can do to change it. Look ahead instead.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2007, 10:49   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Rahul good luck dude. Things will fall in place its just the matter of time and don't be dis-heartened.Therez always a 2nd chance you know .

Right now he fits the bill for bowling.Bowling as in,along the alley.
Riju, not at all disheartened man. Actually like I said I am glad that I made this trip. Its taught me a lot.

Actually I could be the bowling ball, will rather have more chances of knocking down all the pins at one go than with that ball with 3 holes .

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeroid
Try not to worry so much about judges and spectators the next time around - from your post it looks like your thoughts were on them all the time.
True. I tried going there just to have some fun at the same time be a little focussed. Though the judges were not mainly on my mind. Its only after I came back into the pits and analyzed how I had done that I realized that I had quite a few blunders in front of them.

Anyways, this event has really pumped me up with more enthusiasm to do better. And has given me that confidence that had somewhere gotten lost after a small incident at Chennai driving one of the single seaters. Positively looking forward for some future events such as these.
Old 3rd June 2007, 12:12   #28
BHPian

i decided to go for the 2 day training as well as the shootout. ran to the travel agent and he dissapointed me 7500 for the air tickets no train available .Rashid khan who handels the money stuff of the training told me to come via banglore . i got tickets to banglore for 1900 and reached banglore by 8am got tickets to a kpn volvo bus it was at 1.30 caught a movie at pvr .On the bus at about 2 real confy i thought as i entered but then the sky fell on me theystarted a movie tamil i think i dont understand a word . it got over i was releved a nother one started ***!!!
got to comby by 10.30 got into a hotel and went to sleep
day1
This was my first time on a track the session started at about 10 .Eight other guys there with me 5 of us with no track experience.we were batched into 2 groups based on experience and the first session began.

no akbar here the chief mechanic called satya was there teaching us wierd stuff. we had to go from the pits take a u turn on to the straight and a u turn back into the pits to get a hang of the braking and shifting . he asked us to shift .blip.then brake a lil .then turn contrasting to akbar who came in later as we were enjoying the scenery for about an hour he apologized saying some flight delay caused this
in the second session he took us on to the straight.There is a small go kart track too at the kari and there are 2 small inlets on to the straight .There were cones put up to be used as braking points. we were supposed to use the first inlet onto the straight thus using half the straight brake take the cornor and come back from the go kart track back on the straight and go again.this was easy.
later we were using the 2nd inlet and doing the same getting more speed braking harder.
Finally akbar moves the cones further and it starts to rain a little . Akbar teaches us how to lock the brakes and how bliping helps as we stand at the cornor watching.now we are using the whole straight .track is wet
I drag down the straight brake .shift.no blip . lock and spin .
after that i became a little conservative for the rest of the session . its dark now day over

day 2
we started of on time there were cones laid around the track showing us the lines we had to drive in between the cones we had timing devices strapped on to the cars and were told that if we sipn or crash we had to look for this timing thingy first or pay 12000 if we loose them
we were allowed 6000 revs and i clocked 1.28

session 2 akbar explaind a few things and made us shift at 5000 most of the others timing inproved showing that they were making mistakes going too fast i was slower by 2 sec .
the next session was 6000 revs too i pushed harder this time getting to 1.24
we had 2 more sessions at 6000 revs
the last session each one of us had to follow akbar for one lap and back off as the other guy overtakes you on the straight and follows akbar this was a disaster for me i blew a tyre and didnt know about it .

(it was the first time i was driving the car coz the one i was using had a blown gearbox coz some guy from up broke it spilling oil all over the track he didnt even realize at times he used to shift from 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th and go all along the straight in 2nd on the rev limmiter)
the car was bottoming a lot and sliding i didnt even think about a blown tyre .
the next day we have nothing to do i sleep like a log till 11 am (been getting up at 7 everyday) call up mclaren they tell me they going to the track to have a look and i tag along .
the first 2 sessions the the shootout were fine for me except that i had a short circut in the car and saw smoke comming out from the back and jumped out of the car.
the final session was horrible i couldnt get the lines without the cones i felt i was driving in someother place

had loads of food problems. this was my first time down south and i am a vegetarian so on the track all i could eat was sambar and rice there was chicken too. also didnt look very hygenic NO SPOON either .nothing u can buy and eat there should be a proper canteen

in coimbatore too no good food for us bombay guys
the dinner i had at charan s place was one of the best in a few days kinda what id get at home

that all folks
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 11:48   #29
BHPian

Very well written McLaren1885.
Pity we dont have such events near Pune.
RacingForIndia is offline   Reply With Quote