2nd week Aug 9 26.47%
Last week Aug 17 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th July 2007, 17:30   #76
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
at the end of the day no one feels like driving.
Driving to? If it is into Chennai its obviously MORE tiring than getting on the track itself. But wait, Mahendra might just do chauffeur service?
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 17:39   #77
BHPian

Red face

Hey guys - I would be in, but I have a not so track friendly car - santro.

I do have yoko 185/60/13s for stability which I spent 17k on (set of 5) and obviously dont wanna destroy those on track

where can i rent tires and how much cost

Also i am travelling to vegas from 11th to 22nd and hence voted for last week (or first week is 2nd preference)

What would be the approx costs over and above renting tires - as i get paid only in the end of month!!

cheers,
j
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 17:45   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcl
Driving to? If it is into Chennai its obviously MORE tiring than getting on the track itself. But wait, Mahendra might just do chauffeur service?
Rahul, i was surprised to see the GQ almost being completed.
Usually, the track is 30kms and a 1 hour drive from my place. But now, the time is shrinking, 45-50 minutes is enough.Once the GQ is completed till the Koyembedu Jn, 30-40 minutes should be good enough.
@Jassi: I've driven a stock Santro Xing on the track and im not very comfortable with the tall boy on the track.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 18:51   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Aug 4th (Saturday) sounds good. We will have the Sunday to get all the much needed rest.

Also we can take the bangy boys to some nice beach or to mahab's on Sunday. Sounds interesting v1p3r?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
where can i rent tires and how much cost
As this would be an unofficial event there would be no rental of tires. Also last time there were no tires for rent, though the event was organised by MMSC and was an official event.

But i will be going to my mechanic this weekend. I had bought 4 tires (with steel rims) last time and i guess he still has some left. If anyone needs them (purchase only) please let me know. I can help.

P.S. These are only available in 185/65-R13 tube-type and are not brand new, but will last for at least an entire day at the track.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 00:39   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
No, i've offered that a million times and they never do that because the track consumes a LOT of energy and at the end of the day no one feels like driving.
That is why i suggested saturday, so that we can have the mahabs drive on sunday & send off the bangy boys by 5pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
do you really need one ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 01:08   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el
That is why i suggested saturday, so that we can have the mahabs drive on sunday & send off the bangy boys by 5pm.
Usually, 'track day' is a two-day affair.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 01:11   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Its actually either the 4th of 5th of August.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousji View Post
Usually, 'track day' is a two-day affair.
somebody has to clarify this for an inexperienced poor soul.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 02:06   #83
BHPian

hey mclaren1885

well this is gonna be first for me if i join...so will need tips from you all!
& here some things i want to know...

which ever week of august we do this ...its going to be on Saturday or sunday?
how much it's gonna cost us... to rent the track? or is that free
are you planing this as a one day thing...go form bangalore to chennai ..play around the track & be back by night in bangalore ??
how do we go abut in the track...like do we follow a car & there some sorta distance which needs to be maintained or is it one car on track?

thanks
SaM
warchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 06:32   #84
Senior - BHPian

I'm ok with the 4th & 5th of august.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 08:53   #85
BANNED

Just to clear out a few doubts here. Firstly I was thinking on making this a one day affair. Two days will work out way expensive. Besides I am sure the cars can't take the strain. So ideally we can leave early morning, reach Chennai, take a rest for an hour or two, head to track, get done after half a day, those who want to go back can do so, if the rest are interested in heading to track the next day again no issues at all. I shall accompany you guys.

Warchild, kindly PM your contact details at the earliest. The rent for track will be about 1-2k for half a day. All the newcomers will be taken on a lap or two by some guys (including me) who have already done atleast a couple of track days and shown the racing lines. A briefing on the common practices to be maintained on a track will also be given prior to going on track. We can have more than 20 cars on track at any point of time. I will post pics of the track layout soon so that everyone can know what to expect. Try to memorize the corners, will go a long way in helping you guys.

So guys I will speak to the manager and fix up a day. Either Saturday the 4th or Sunday the 5th. Will put up the details by evening. Until then...
Old 26th July 2007, 08:57   #86
BANNED

Guys confirmed till now directly to me:

1. Vikram.
2. n_aditya.
3. nitrous.
4. madan80.
5. brraj.
6. rdkarthik + 2 more cars.
7. myself.

The rest kindly confirm your participation by PM me your contact details or post your confirmations on this thread at the earliest.
Old 26th July 2007, 09:16   #87
Team-BHP Support

I can do saturday....................
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 09:41   #88
Senior - BHPian

im game Saturday. (might try and sneak in an RS )
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 10:23   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Any tips since this will be my first unofficial trackday?
You are doing the right things. Leave any in car junk at home. Anyway, since the track is ours, we can leave stuff in the pits.

Drive at your own pace and enjoy.

Avoid subjecting your car to "gang bangs" where anybody takes and uses your car. Keep those keys close to you and be selective!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 11:01   #90
BHPian

Unhappy

nitrous thanks for tht insight - i am guessing the santro xing you've driven and the santro xing erlx (2006 model) tht i own is almost the same shape. The only non-stock things i got on it are catback exhaust and 185/60/13 yokos on alloys. If the car cg is not good enough for the track, then I guess I am going to have to drop out, I am guessing even a maruti 800 is more stable
anyways you guys have fun - maybe by next track day, my friend will buy his long awaited palio 1.6

CHeers n have fun,
jassi

mclaren - thanks for the sms but due to my non-race track car (i would want to think otherwise), I am going to skip
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote