Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

View Poll Results: So what will you do at this track day?
Will be driving my own/friends car. 28 62.22%
Will be glad to be a spectator only. 17 37.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd October 2007, 17:42   #271
Senior - BHPian

My worry is the last corner, which will be the first corner. At the end of 900m, you will have a sharp right with no banking, and a wall straight ahead. And it will be hard to introduce a chicane there.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 17:47   #272
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
My worry is the last corner, which will be the first corner. At the end of 900m, you will have a sharp right with no banking, and a wall straight ahead. And it will be hard to introduce a chicane there.
You can setup an artificial tire barrier mostly an "S", like you see in go-karting centres. Shouldn't be that difficult a task.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 17:50   #273
Senior - BHPian

I really doubt the track is wide enough for people to brake and take an S at top whack. In fact, major issues this time were on the bus-stop. Luckily the run off areas are huge and people drove responsibly.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 17:52   #274
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I really doubt the track is wide enough for people to brake and take an S at top whack. In fact, major issues this time were on the bus-stop. Luckily the run off areas are huge and people drove responsibly.
Akshay, I am not able to put in words what I have in mind. I mean on the main straight set up atleast 5 layers of tires one on top of the other so asto narrow down the stretch into a TIGHT S. It should slow down your speeds quite drastically if its done right. Let me see if I can show a pictorial representation. Something like this, but slightly more tighter & push it up a bit further.

Ron, do the track guys by any chance have some chicanes lying around somewhere? We could use them instead and place them on the tarmac. That way, even if you overcook your breaking point you will still end up only flying over them. I remember seeing a few of these unused chicanes lying at MMST.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 2nd October 2007 at 18:09.
Old 3rd October 2007, 10:23   #275
Team-BHP Support

Chicane's lying around ? Guys, be careful with what you'll are doing.

I suggest using the go kart track loop on the left just after the pit exit. That way if a person overcooks it, he has place to brake.

Mcl, this "s" bend you've drawn above is not a good idea.

Last edited by Rtech : 3rd October 2007 at 10:26.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 13:06   #276
BHPian

How many turbo cars were there?

There was a pic of a turbo Mitsubishi.. was it a new cedia ? Who did the turbo work on it?

How did it perform? I couldnt find anything abt this car on the track.
renamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 15:22   #277
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Chicane's lying around ? Guys, be careful with what you'll are doing.
The ones that were taken off the track during re-laying etc kept in the paddocks. Place some spare kerbs (the actual word, didn't strike me in my previous post) if they are any like the tires. If you over cook it you will still be only riding over the kerbs.

Quote:
I suggest using the go kart track loop on the left just after the pit exit. That way if a person overcooks it, he has place to brake.
We were discussing on how to minimize risks while doing the track anti-clockwise. I have no issues at all doing the whole track without these make-shift kerbs.

Quote:
Mcl, this "s" bend you've drawn above is not a good idea.
I know, one cannot afford to overcook this corner, but thats the best I could think off for reducing the speeds on the penultimate corner. If you do the track the other way round, any other ideas to reduce the speeds? I think the kerbs could be a better idea.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 3rd October 2007 at 15:25.
Old 3rd October 2007, 15:31   #278
Team-BHP Support

Sorry. I was not following the thread. Are you talking about running clockwise or anti-clockwise??

I think running clockwise but using the "bus stop" karting bit would solve your problem. Takes care of any freak brake failure/and or overshooting the corner by providing adequate run off on tarmac plus gives a decent straight to stretch the car on.

Toppling is not the worry at the first corner (as we saw in the touring cars, an esteem toppled in the slowest corner of the track!) its a brake failure (like what happened with the Sri Lankan Scooby) is what you have to worry about most. And this layout takes care of that.
Old 3rd October 2007, 15:34   #279
BANNED

Robin, we are talking about running the cars anti-clockwise. Opposite direction to what the cars ran during the touring car championships. Yeah, my major worry was brake wear too. And lack of run off area if you were to do the track anti-clockwise at C1 (wrt to opposite running direction).
Old 3rd October 2007, 15:44   #280
Team-BHP Support

Ok. So you want to run in the opposite direction. And need a way to slow them down.

An S bend is no good for that. You would need to build an actual chicane using tyre barriers. Place it between 100-200 meters before the corner. And tight. Basically, a driver should not be able to think he can cut the corner.

Kinda like this:

OOOOOO_________

_______OOOOOOOO

The "O" are tyres. the ______ is the track.
Old 3rd October 2007, 15:57   #281
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Kinda like this:

OOOOOO_________

_______OOOOOOOO

The "O" are tyres. the ______ is the track.
Gotcha RT. Initially I had this on my mind, but thought the "S" bend might be a little more exciting as one will have to maintain accuracy while judging this corner. But I think what you suggested is the best.

And is anyone here willing to put up some more pics or report? Or are we lurking around this thread expecting something that is not going to happen?

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 3rd October 2007 at 16:00.
Old 3rd October 2007, 17:27   #282
BHPian

Rahul, i have not seen the track so correct me if am wrong. The direction you drive is away from the point the pic was taken? anticlock wise?
If so there is a track on the right of the straight and is seen to merge in to the main track..with a natural shickne! where does this other track lead to behind the position pic was taken? If it does converge then this track can be used instead of the main staright..?? Or is the other track leading to the pits?? if so the above idea doesnt hold good !!

Last edited by shazikon : 3rd October 2007 at 17:31.
shazikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 17:43   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
And is anyone here willing to put up some more pics or report? Or are we lurking around this thread expecting something that is not going to happen?
Yup , its about time that someone does
2theMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 18:06   #284
BHPian

@ shazikon: Thats the pit lane you are talking about pal, like you suspected, hence cannot be used.

Robin, we did use the bus-stop for the track day and there were a few times I braked very late and drove hard over the curbs. I can understand now on why this straight was said to be so dangerous for amteurs/first timers.
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 20:11   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
B * * * * . Put up the pics you * * * * * * *. Lazy * * * * .
Ok da,your pm comes as a wake up call.I have been punching out the report out on my communicator in the bus/auto/bank wherever i was free.

Detailed report will be up along with pics in 2 days.

Bear with me,not my fault that you missed the fun
binz is offline   Reply With Quote