Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 28th August 2007, 13:40   #76
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Nice report! Looks like the Fiesta is the one to have on Tarmac and the Cedia on dirt. What tires were these guys running?
I guess all the factory teams have to run MRF. Fiesta's are really quick on tarmac, leagues ahead of the Cedia's. The Fiesta seems to handle much better than Cedia's on track. Or maybe it could be because of the fact that the drivers who have driven Cedia's during the rally have changed over to Fiesta's. Hence, the unfamiliarity with the cars could also be one of the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D
Does the homologation requirements necessitate the companies to sell the performance enhancers on the open market. Or is it still that the Fiesta's are running on UK/Cosworth components unavailable to the general public.
I don't think homologation requires performance parts to be sold in the open market. Atleast not in India. Fiesta's are running a lot more than just some UK components .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen Power
so all the cars came from sri lanka for the td ? Evos and subarus ?
Yes, Vishal. I guess there were 5 Evo's, 2 Imprezza's, 2 Honda Civic's (didn't see the Honda's at all) that came down from Sri Lanka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks
Are the Fiesta's that good on a tarmac?
Yes, Raaj. I don't think any Indian car will be able to touch them in the current setup. Not even the Cedia's.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 13:44   #77
BANNED

After the race we had some entertainment from the Supra. Shabz was literally flying from one end of the straight to the other. Steering locked half way through a U turn and carrying nice slides before heading off on full throttle. I have some really nice pics of the Supra and a couple of videos. Only if this net was working. All in all it was a total fun event. Come this December, I shall surely be there. Hopefully, Robin will get me a full access pass too .
Old 28th August 2007, 13:49   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Yes, Raaj. I don't think any Indian car will be able to touch them in the current setup. Not even the Cedia's.
So if one was to choose between a Fiesta and a Cedia (Both the cars running stock) for a trackday.
Your pick would be a Fiesta?
Thats amazing that a Fiesta can take a car which is a class above

Last edited by raajks : 28th August 2007 at 13:51.
raajks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 13:51   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks View Post
So if one was to choose between a Fiesta and a Cedia (Both the cars running stock) for a trackday.
Your pick would be a Fiesta?
Thats amazing that Fiesta can take a car which a class above
If you were to pick a stock car, it would undoubtedly be the Cedia. But what the rally fiesta's are running is totally a different ball game all together.
Old 28th August 2007, 14:11   #80
BANNED

Ok here goes....

The DHL Evo started playing mind games kicking up some dust.

Yet the pursuit continued.

Behind the duo battling for the lead....

Its not over yet...

Then this Evo 4 feels the heat and decides to cool down...

But the battle for the lead still continues...

Then I switch off the camera only to miss the shocking accident.

After 15mins of tension this calmed my nerves. Yes, thats Rizvi Farook.

Thanking god, I went into the pits to meet up with some big guns.
Old 28th August 2007, 14:18   #81
BANNED

Went into the pits only to find this...

And this....

Then he decided to go on track...

Then he let the monster under that hood UNLEASH...
Old 28th August 2007, 14:35   #82
Team-BHP Support

Lets clear up a few things about the cars.

The two MRF Fiesta's were running in totally different stages of tune. There was about 30-40 hp between the two of them. They were competing in the Super 1600 class along with the Baleno's. The fiesta is running with off the shelf M-Sport parts which any one of us can buy (budget permitting) and is said to be putting out about 170-180bhp at the crank.

The 2 Cedia's were stock Grp. N. There was supposed to be a highly tuned Cedia as well, but that one did not make it past practice. Or else that would have been the fastest car on the track.

The difference in lap times of the fastest Fiesta and the fastest GT car was barely 1.5 seconds! That fiesta and that driver (arjun) were literally flying!

Last edited by Rtech : 28th August 2007 at 14:38.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 14:57   #83
BANNED

True that, the Fiesta's are running complete off the shelf UK M-Spec engines putting out insane figures for a 1.6L NA car.

I hear very soon, we will be seeing the Cedia's go faster than the Fiesta's. Infact, as Robin mentioned there was one of these quicker Cedia's out there but it went nowhere after a conrod came through the block.

And the M800 retired due to blown piston rings. Excessive NOS?

Robin, great work with the entire show. Just a few questions.

1. Why didn't the Fiesta's run alongside the EVO's on Sunday? That must have been fun to watch.

2. Were there any Honda Civics? Or was it just a rumour?

3. With the success of the event and the hope that the next event will be even bigger, is there a chance that all the factory teams will be categorized separately into a class? And the privateers separately? Now that could get in a lot of entries.

Quote:
The difference in lap times of the fastest Fiesta and the fastest GT car was barely 1.5 seconds!
This was on Saturday. Also, I heard the Evo's went even faster on Sunday after a change in the tires. If so, what times did they clock and how did the Fiesta's compare on Sunday?

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 28th August 2007 at 15:01.
Old 28th August 2007, 15:19   #84
Senior - BHPian

Surprising... no one racing the Skoda RS? I thought this is where we'd see loads of them.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 16:45   #85
BANNED

Some videos of the Supra that tadu managed.

Old 28th August 2007, 16:58   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Thats not a leak. They spray the intercoolers with water. That is just the water that drops to the ground.
ok.. now i look... uumm... stupid?
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 17:42   #87
Senior - BHPian

mclaren what was the supra's time compared to the indian cars? I bet the latter were faster around the track?
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 17:49   #88
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
mclaren what was the supra's time compared to the indian cars? I bet the latter were faster around the track?
Ananth, the supra ran only on the straight. It didn't take a single turn. Umm actually it did. Only the last turn so that he could build up some speed on the main straight. There were voices from the crowd saying "Ask him to do 1 full lap and lets see which car is faster" & "Run the Fiesta against the Supra" etc.

But, from what I heard from the man himself. The suspension is setup for purely drag purposes. I had invited him to a track day and he said he was very much interested but there would be no point in getting the Supra.

Whatever said and done, Shabbir is sure a crowd puller. Show off or not, he does make you want to own a car like that. And the best part about him is, he drives it they way they have to be. Well atleast in a straight line. Be it the Supra or the Zonda or the SBK's. In these days where every other TDAH claims he has a car putting out this much, doesn't ever end up showing the car either on a track, dragstrip, or even on public roads. For this I appreciate this man. You will see him redlining the car everyday on the streets of Bangalore. And then you WILL see him at the drags.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 28th August 2007 at 17:52.
Old 28th August 2007, 20:02   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
And the best part about him is, he drives it they way they have to be.
Well atleast in a straight line. Be it the Supra or the Zonda or the SBK's. In these days where every other TDAH claims he has a car putting out this much, doesn't ever end up showing the car either on a track, dragstrip, or even on public roads. For this I appreciate this man. You will see him redlining the car everyday on the streets of Bangalore. And then you WILL see him at the drags.
Well Rahul, I have heard you say this time and again... but I really have to ask... what do you exactly mean by "Driving the way it should be"...? do you mean someone does justice to the car ONLY when they redline it in every gear? Everyone buys cars for different reasons my friend... and yes I am talking about the exotic ones too, not just the run of the mill OHCs.
If I were to buy a supercar today, I would definitely take good care of it and push it once a while, not everyday. Making it to the track again depends on a lot of personal preferences and availablity etc.

There are many many more faster cars and better drivers out there who do not care much about showing off to the general public. Neither do they have to, as long as they are happy and satisfied with what they got. I hope you get the drift.
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 20:26   #90
BANNED

Sri Ram, I know a couple of owners with some really nice cars that never see the roads. I am comparing with such people. You own an exotic doesn't mean you keep it in vacuumized chambers or nanny them around town in 1st gear. You buy these to either drive them hard or to show off. But when you do neither, owning such cars is........ Well, you get the drift. I really do not want to argue on this topic. Your views may not be on the same frequency as mine. But then not everyone is the same.