Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 20th December 2007, 15:56   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Tata to launch race/rally ready Indica

Thats right folks. This completely slipped my mind. At the recently concluded MRF Touring Car Championship, Tata and J Anand held a press conference to announce the launch of a ready to race/rally Indica.

Saloon car racing is also appealing to the car manufacturers and indication of this was the entry of motoring major Tatas preparing a special car to race in these championships. J Anand of JM Automobiles has prepared a 1500cc 115 bhp Tata Indica which will be available to competitors from next year. The prepared car was displayed to the media and will also do trial rounds at the track on Sunday.

"Tatas is planning to build ten saloon racing cars initially and this is the first time that a car manufacturer has taken the initiative in saloon car racing, which is a great boost to the sport. It won't be long before other car manufacturers follow suit," said Rodricks.

Elaborating on the car, Anand said, "I found the Tata Indica the right choice because it is a hatchback, has four wheel independent suspension and is indigenously built. We have tested the car with good drivers and it has returned good lap times, as compared to bigger cars." Anand said that a completely prepared car should cost about Rs 6.5 lakh, with racing suspensions and FIA homologated safety regulations, making it affordable to competitors.

What this means is that you and I could technically go to the Tata showroom, order and take delivery of a race/rally ready Indica, drive straight to the track and take part! Awesome isn't it? Oh yea, you can also get a loan for this!

This is going to be popular...very popular.

And yes, i drove this car, and it gives Group N Fiesta's a run for their money!
Rtech is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 16:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

Brilliant. If this had happened 10 years ago I'd be elsewhere by now.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 16:08   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
J Anand of JM Automobiles has prepared a 1500cc 115 bhp Tata Indica which will be available to competitors from next year.
One question. Is it a brand new engine or a re-bored xeta?

Quote:
What this means is that you and I could technically go to the Tata showroom, order and take delivery of a race/rally ready Indica, drive straight to the track and take part! Awesome isn't it? Oh yea, you can also get a loan for this!
Awesome indeed. Alas, I close my eyes, and dream about driving 115bhp Indica...Grr, I keep getting images of ugly looking yellow-board Indicas chasing me
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 16:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Awesome news, I think the price is perfect for privateers.
speedmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 16:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

If they can offer the same car at around 5.5L with 115bhp and no FIA safety stuff(just standard interiors), we will have the most powerful hot hatch in the country!
I remember a 80bhp Tata zero car was used a few years ago, and also gave the impression of a "Tata indica sports version coming to market" but that never materialized.

Hopefully this is for real! Saloon car racing for the masses. My only question, what if the starter motor gives up at the start line, do they allow push starts?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 16:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

If I recall my memory, 4-5 years back Tata had bulit either a rally/sports car. Was that a prototype or what? I had seen the pics in Overdrive , the color of the car was passion yellow if i remeber correctly.
Does any1 remember ?
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 16:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
My only question, what if the starter motor gives up at the start line, do they allow push starts?
Been doing a lot of push-starting on your Indica these days, I guess?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 16:20   #8
Team-BHP Support

The yellow Zero car used for the INRC a few years ago was a bone stock Indica with a roll cage. This one is an Indica that has been worked on for real. Engine, suspension, everything.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 16:37   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Been doing a lot of push-starting on your Indica these days, I guess?
Nope this time It had to towed

Quote:
The yellow Zero car used for the INRC a few years ago was a bone stock Indica with a roll cage. This one is an Indica that has been worked on for real. Engine, suspension, everything.
It had ECU changes for 80bhp and some suspension enhancements. There was an autocar article about it too couple of years back
Old 20th December 2007, 16:38   #10
Team-BHP Support

Bah! It had nothing! Just a flashy paintjob and rollcage!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 16:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nope this time It had to towed
I'm sure they have tow trucks at the races .

Wait...I dont need a smiley for this!

PS: 80 bhp Indica wouldnt have been such a big deal considering the same engine did 85bhp on the Indigo.

Last edited by Steeroid : 20th December 2007 at 16:53.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 16:52   #12
Team-BHP Support

Actually the same engine(new head) does 100bhp in the XL
Old 20th December 2007, 16:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

That is awesome news.Now, imagine this car in the hands of the cab drivers ..gives me the creeps
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 17:21   #14
BHPian

sammyboy you read my mind...

i just came to this thread to say that please please dont let these cars fall into the hands of the call centre cab drivers..... just the thought of them having this powerfull "indica" scares me off....
leadf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 17:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think it's awesome to be able to buy a regulated racing car off the shelves on a loan. I think the cost keeps away most newbies wanting to get into motorsports. Being able to take a loan for it, makes it much easier. It's high time manufacturers took an initiative.

I think Suzuki should start selling off the shelf Esteems for track and rally racing also.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote