Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Closed Thread

Old 5th April 2009, 22:36   #391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post

As a guy who has hosted previous track days and P&P sessions, I have a few grieviences to the organizers. Some of the drivers mentioned that there was no one who showed them the lines when the track was declared open. Norm has always been all cars are taken around the track for atleast 2 laps so that newbies are thought the line. I did come late to track, but couple of drivers I spoke to said there was no such thing. So just want to confirm .
I dont really know how its organised and hence posting this question.
Dont the MMSC have any guidelines for the newbies?

Quote:
Also, Vikram, didn't you say the track was open till 6? Why were we thrown out of the track by 5pm?
Has it been like this in the previous events too??
Old 5th April 2009, 23:01   #392
BHPian

As mclaren1885 said, it is a good idea to show new guys the "proper" way around the track. This was my first time around the track, and needed 2 spins (at the same corner)to get my bearing straight.

At one point I was literally stuck behind a car for 2 laps, the guy had no clue what is going on behind him and the line he takes through corners was weird if you ask me.

Since my car was much slower than the rest of the cars on the track, I always watched my mirrors since I did't want to mess up anyone's lap. Even so I ended up holding up an elentra for 2 corners. (My apologies to the driver)

But a guy taking it easy should also do the same and understand the fact that there are other people who can and want to go faster.

Yes this P&P is for fun and its not a race, I know. Having said that I'd let someone pass than hold him up and screw up his lap and happiness. If someone holds me up I'd be upset.

PS : Guys, are there any pic's ???

Last edited by yzfrj : 5th April 2009 at 23:03.
Old 6th April 2009, 00:23   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

For sometime I was really amazed at the 1min-plus timings Rahul posted - till yzfrj cleared up the confusion.

I timed manek and nitrous and they did a respectable 2:35 (M800 - 5 speed) and 2:30 (track esteem - The Mistress) respectively. Ofcourse it is so much more easier to be driving yourself than riding shotgun - especially when you are in an M800 driven by a maniac. No offense, manek. It did help that I skipped lunch - else I would have puked bile. I am glad manek's brother wasn't around. He is maniac-square. :-)

The Elantra was just amazing. Was not surprised to see that it rang in the best lap timings. 200bhp vRS not withstanding.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 6th April 2009 at 00:26.
Old 6th April 2009, 00:38   #394
Senior - BHPian

Rahul, lets not start this newbie crap again.
If people wanted to know the lines they are most welcome to ask anyone. I clearly remember taking more than 5 people inmy car and showing them the lines as well as explaining it to them.
It was a P & P session, all were welcome it was not an event were Vikramor anyone has taken the charge to show how to drive on a track.

Timings I am not sure and neither are you then why put them up????

The swift diesel I have my doubts as it could not keep up with the baleno or the t-swift had to give way, then how is it faster by so many seconds????
My car when Viddy and me went for a spin form pit lane back to the pit lane basically start to stop following pit lane speed was 2:23. I was there to have fun and not have a "who's is bigger/faster??" situation, to do that have a track event.

The RS handled well needs new rubber.

To say someones car is blown without knowing the whole story is a stupid assumption.

Cheers

Last edited by iceman91 : 6th April 2009 at 00:42.
Old 6th April 2009, 01:31   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vikram blew his engine I guess. It had a huge cloud of white smoke emanating as he returned to the pits. Heard he had a spark plug problem or such.
I wish you would really stop guessing. The only thing that blew on my car was the turbo and I am speaking figuratively and not literally.

That being said I did have a couple of issues.

The first was that the boost controller I had made and fixed was not working and the turbo was spooling up to 20 pounds. My car was setup only to handle 10 pounds. The daily drive boost on my car is 6 pounds.

Second being that we had miscalculated the amount of oil to go into the engine as I have fitted a custom oil cooler. The oil level was a little high and this coupled with the extreme pressure that it went through on the track caused it to flow into the turbo through the oil return line. That was the white smoke you saw. We had initially thought that we had blown the engine too. But once we let it cool down enough everything was back to normal.

The third being one of the spark plug's gap had closed due to the high boost it hit during the first two laps. This is when I realised that the boost controller was not working.

If I had really blown my engine then I wouldn't be sitting here in Bangalore and typing this message out. I would still be in Chennai.

Discovery of the day - Convoy driving is not injurious to your car's health as we found out while coming back. We had an 8 car convoy doing speeds of about 80 - 90 kmph.

Quote:
Also, Vikram, didn't you say the track was open till 6? Why were we thrown out of the track by 5pm?
You should have complained about this at the track and not after reaching your sister's place. When they asked me about ending the session, I checked the pit lane and found everybody getting ready to leave to Bangalore including Memo & the RD Team. Hence I asked them to close the session. If you wanted to drive more all you had to do was tell me about it and I would have asked them to keep it open.
Old 6th April 2009, 01:48   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
@Rahulkool, I got to see that from the tower thingy at the track.
btw Nice recovery.

I did around 20 laps I guess, had tried to do some "stopwatch" timing on my own so accuracy is anybodies guess.
Initially I was in the (approx) 2:40
then was down to (approx) 2:35

Has a full 360 and another 170 degree in 2 separate laps.

It was hot like hell, but felt really good to drive on a track.
Everyone should try it at least once, once you try it you will be back for more.
hehe thanks, it all happened in fraction of second. every time i go to the track i think that i will not push much but once there everything get cleared off the mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
When are you picking up the new tyres ?
lol ..... actually this time tyres are pretty much ok

Quote:
Rahul you don't have to be sorry. Such things happen on track. Btw, you had some awesome car control there. Atleast twice I thought you would end up with a spin.
yeah but on that lap i missed almost all corners, specially in the last 4-5 corners. about spin, i didn't even realized what i did to control it

about the newbies even i say that they should ask to show the line if they are not sure. because everyone comes to the track on their own time so its very difficult to show lines to everyone at the same time. rather sit with someone for a lap to see the lines and i don't think anyone will say no to that .....

Last edited by Rahulkool : 6th April 2009 at 01:49.
Old 6th April 2009, 06:13   #397
BHPian

Thanks for the write up as usual Rahul. Waiting for the pics. I really want to know the magnitude of what I missed.
Old 6th April 2009, 07:37   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16v100bhp View Post
Thanks for the write up as usual Rahul. Waiting for the pics. I really want to know the magnitude of what I missed.
16 cars on track.. thats the magnitude. (that was my last count)

some pro racers were also testing out their cars, so we got a show on some loud cars!

thought there were a lot more cars coming from blore?

I took a ride in hrag's truck on track! pretty nice ride!
Old 6th April 2009, 11:06   #399
Senior - BHPian

Looks like you guys had a blast at the track day

where are the pics? did anyone shoot videos? please upload them asap.
Old 6th April 2009, 11:24   #400
Senior - BHPian

The report and meet can be discussed in this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor-...-p-report.html
Old 6th April 2009, 11:46   #401
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
.... If people wanted to know the lines they are most welcome to ask anyone. I clearly remember taking more than 5 people inmy car and showing them the lines as well as explaining it to them.
Here's my take on this -- from a 'complete newbie' perspective.
I did 2-3 rounds on my own and then asked Amit to teach me how to drive on track. He gladly took me out and explained all aspects of driving on track.

My "personal opinion" is that when you have first driven 2-3 laps on your own and then you have people helping out out with lines etc, then you can make more sense out of those and reflect on what you were doing right/wrong and where you need to alter your driving style for track.

@Amit: Thanks a ton for the tips. They really helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
.... about the newbies even i say that they should ask to show the line if they are not sure. because everyone comes to the track on their own time so its very difficult to show lines to everyone at the same time. rather sit with someone for a lap to see the lines and i don't think anyone will say no to that .....
Quote:
It was a P & P session, all were welcome it was not an event were Vikramor anyone has taken the charge to show how to drive on a track.
100% true. I Fully agree.
I would be disappointed only if I asked some one senior/more experienced to teach me and they refused. But I believe that the onus of asking for help is still on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
... I checked the pit lane and found everybody getting ready to leave to Bangalore ... ..
Agree. I remember you asking this.
@Vikram: This was my first experience of any racing/track etc etc of any kind. I enjoyed the day to the maximum and thanks for the wonderful opportunity.
Old 6th April 2009, 12:03   #402
Senior - BHPian

Glad you enjoyed it khan saab.
now next time off roading you can show me around and give me tips
Old 6th April 2009, 12:05   #403
Team-BHP Support

Guys, closing this thread. Continue posting your comments and pictures here.
Closed Thread