Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 13th February 2008, 22:31   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

I thought J Anand was working on a formula car for MRF. This one is a straight import from the UK FF1600.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 11:32   #17

Hi Ananth,

Greetings. Chanced upon your POV on the whole extravagance around the MRF race car. What if MRF is attempting to pre-empt the next level of racing as far as Indian racing is concerned? F BMW being the series that Indian drivers tend to enroll into. It is exhorbitant. And it does not happen in India. Though I am aware that we can conduct F3 races on the current circuits.

Though my reason to write to you is not about the above at all. What caught my attention is your statement that there is a problem of relatibility. May i add that it is too technical? And hence robs all fun of one's desire to put pedal to metal. Infact , while we have 11 years of Formula India racing, it is still boring/elitist/isolated and sadly, no fun. And that's where perhaps street racing might have a huge potential...

Let me know your reaction to this.

Cheers
Mack
mac-a-tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 16:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Ananth is talking from a racer POV and he's right.
As a spectator, I would say yes to this F-MRF. With that kind of power to weight ratio, it would be real fun to watch them attack the tracks in Chennai and Cbe.
And yes as Mack, through this F-MRF, we're just pushing formula car boundaries in our country.So ,it is VERY economical to gain race experience on a car that's 80% as good as the F-BMW making it a fantastic opportunity for the better drivers like Ashwin Sundar, Rayomand Banajee, Sarosh Hataria and the likes.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 19:37   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd like to see the MRF 1600 cars race with the Rolon Chevy 1600. Not only will we have a drivers c'chip but constructors too. Rolon-Chevy vs MRF-Ford.
Old 14th February 2008, 20:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I'd like to see the MRF 1600 cars race with the Rolon Chevy 1600. Not only will we have a drivers c'chip but constructors too. Rolon-Chevy vs MRF-Ford.
Also maybe Hyundai should stop supplying their 1.4 litre engines from the Accent (since it is almost discontinued) and supply the 1.6 engine from the Verna. It would be amazing to see a chevy vs hyundai vs ford battle on the circuit. As things heat up Im sure the manufacturers would put in that lttile extra to make sure their car wins.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 05:25   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

The Accent had a base 1.5, 3 valver and a DOHC 1.6. There was no 1.4 IIRC.
Old 15th February 2008, 09:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
That price was just a ballpark estimate because we had the chance to buy an older Formula Maruti rolling chassis for like 50k. Passed on it since there are at most 5 cars on the grid plus it makes no sense to do only 6 or 7 events a year, if that.

The point I'm trying to make is that nobody is interested in the grassroots level side of motorsports......most youngsters are just blinded by the glamour and the thrills. Motorsport is a lot of hard work, sweat and blood too, even if you don't prep the car yourself.

I'd say less than 1% of this forum's members would actually be interested in something like this let alone participating in one. Simply because the rest, including me, can't relate to it. Its way out of reach; even if you can afford one, your pockets will empty very, very quickly when you begin racing.

What we need is a simple, down-to-earth way of getting more and more people interested in racing. The guy who comes up with that will be the next Karivardhan.
Amen to that! I couldn't have put it down better myself!

I'm a little disappointed that the next single seater for an Indian championship wasn't home built. This will only encourage people to spend more in buying stuff off the shelf from abroad. And will in turn make the whole sport expensive. And it has happened abroad too. Some university level teams have budgets of 1.2 Million Euros for a FSAE team. That is ridiculous. For what started as a grassroots level motorsport event for students to participate in and start early, it has grown super expensive. And the revolution has begun here too. Some Indian universities outsource an insane number of parts/ideas for competitions, simply because they can afford. And it will only dumb us down.

We already have the Chevy Rolons, and what I like about them is that they are homebuilt. And still out of reach of quite a few people. Is this MRF's show of power? I believe J Anand is quite capable of designing something himself, rather than just assembling one.

It's an agonising thought, that the next best Indian racer, would be British.

Last edited by ported_head : 15th February 2008 at 09:38.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 10:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

MRF said that notihng built in India came upto the level of the F1600 and thats why they had to import the cars. Maybe someone who has driven both the cars or knows a little more can comment on this.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 10:39   #24
BHPian

I dont know why folks are complaining bat the cars origins.
whether its from britan or timbuktu how does that matter.

In fact the UK is the heart of motor sport developement
and getting some designs here, would be a good thing as
when the teams set them up , and work with them, they will learn more
abt advanced cars and may be able to tranfer that knowledge to their next designs.

Also its a great steping stone for the top local drivers to go international

However what anath says is true.
Its the Cost. now thats what pretty high. and the popularity of racing at grassroots can come only through close racing and relatively cheap affordability of racing.

Its interesting thata car with adjustable brake bias and the like si coming in.
all that we have to pray for that it doesnt split the money thats already there in racing, but brings in fresh money, and greater interest
Revvhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 19:31   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

The F-Rolon Chevy is heavily based on a F-Asia car which in turn is based on a British Formula Ford 1600. So specs wise they should be v v close.
Old 15th February 2008, 19:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The F-Rolon Chevy is heavily based on a F-Asia car which in turn is based on a British Formula Ford 1600. So specs wise they should be v v close.
No Deep,

The engines in the Rolon don't put out power anywhere close to where the Mrf cars do. The MRF car is far ahead in terms of reliability and technology.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 21:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
No Deep,

The engines in the Rolon don't put out power anywhere close to where the Mrf cars do. The MRF car is far ahead in terms of reliability and technology.
True. I read somewhere that the most they've gotten is 70 whp.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 01:38   #28
BHPian

Just an update on the MRF cars.
The engine is a completely stock unit from the 1.6 Fiesta except for the exhaust, intake, dry sump and ECU Remap. No one knows for sure how much power they are putting out but its probably nowhere close to 150 Bhp. All the cars have been built in Coimbatore except the 1st one which came from the UK. The cars are almost completely different from the Formula Ford 1600s. The cars have been significantly faster than the ROLONs during testing and on par, if not quicker, than the Formula Asia cars. Some might think its going to be very expensive for the drivers but its not compared to cars of its class running elsewhere in the world. Drivers from outside India have also shown intrest in the series.
Well, I guess thats all the info I'm allowed to give right now.

The first round should be sometime in the first week of Jan. All the races will be held at Chennai.
MSP9994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 09:52   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP9994 View Post

The first round should be sometime in the first week of Jan. All the races will be held at Chennai.
Sorry, Last week of Jan
MSP9994 is offline   Reply With Quote