Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 7th December 2005, 13:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

I guess all of you have already been through the list and found most of the points already covered. One most important thing though in the last 2 years it has become clear NOS and forced induction has become mainstay in India.

This obviously means that Naturally Aspirated setups are now on for a permanent disadvantage and it has also taken up the entry critera for pople wanting to enter motorsports and the dearth of sponsored cars will eventually mean new comers will be few and far apart.

Hence I think India is ready for street (NA cars) and Prostreet(all kinds of forced induction including NOS) this can remove the multiplication factors headache and also allow for more drags to happen in both the categories.

Also it is high time that MAI becomes the official timekeeper(doesnt matter who owns the Timing Kit) for the drags as it will help to have a higher level of interaction of MAI with the grassroots of the racing community.

I can also tell you that we need proper drag strips, do also know for a fact that a lot of us have gone down looking at costs for building the same, guess it is high time that MAI / FMSI look at getting the goverments down to appreciating that MOTOR Sports are true sports and also need infrastructure for proper events. Without this we will see ever increasing issues at managing events.

As for the categorization part we still need to set the basics right before we start talking about defining what we ought to do.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2005, 13:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This obviously means that Naturally Aspirated setups are now on for a permanent disadvantage and it has also taken up the entry critera for pople wanting to enter motorsports and the dearth of sponsored cars will eventually mean new comers will be few and far apart.

Hence I think India is ready for street (NA cars) and Prostreet(all kinds of forced induction including NOS) this can remove the multiplication factors headache and also allow for more drags to happen in both the categories.
Good point Psycho. NA and Forced Induction should be treated seperately.

Quote:
Also it is high time that MAI becomes the official timekeeper(doesnt matter who owns the Timing Kit) for the drags as it will help to have a higher level of interaction of MAI with the grassroots of the racing community.
It's high time drag racing was taken a bit more seriously. All we get to see are cars doing the 1/4 mile without any immediate updates on their ET or ST figures. That sucks, bigtime!!!

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 12:51   #18

In my view the first thing we need is some really rich enthusiast to donate or take it upon himself to build a proper strip....I've been to drag meets both in India and here in the U.S. and a professionally run drag is much more fun.
Some of my opinions......
Nitrous Oxide is a great mod for any kind of vehicle and should not be banned....ICEMAN91...i believe your info isn't accurate....however it's use should be regulated by classes or handicap starts.
An entry fee is a must.
Real time info must be available to the spectators on E/T etc.
Timing slips is also a very important part of drags...nothing is worse than having run a 1/4 mile and have no idea about how you did.
The most important thing I will repeat....we need a proper drag strip!!!
ashwingop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 20:46   #19
BHPian

[SIZE=2]Restricting nos in the present state, atleast in bangalore will allow for more possibilites of cheating. Using nos secretly is easy as it easy to hide.I know of atleast two cars already running twin 5lb bottles hidden in the boot below the sub woofer box!! There was a nos suzuki gsxr 1000 from bangalore for the speedrun 2005.Only way one could tell it was running nos only because it had 12lb bottle.If it had proper bike kit no one would have even suspected it had Nos.Clear rules for weight reduction is a must. As we have some cars come with oe doors others with frp doors and some without doors at all...[/SIZE]
cinclaturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 22:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinclaturbo
[SIZE=2]I know of atleast two cars already running twin 5lb bottles hidden in the boot below the sub woofer box!![/SIZE]
Hey, any hints as to who these buggers are?

BTW, I should think it's pretty easy to figure out who's running nitrous enhancement. After all, one pop of the hood and you can see the nozzles and lines pretty easily.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 01:09   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Hey, any hints as to who these buggers are?

BTW, I should think it's pretty easy to figure out who's running nitrous enhancement. After all, one pop of the hood and you can see the nozzles and lines pretty easily.
Anyone with relatively basic knowledge about engines should be able to tell there is something not right when they see the extra lines and nozzles especially if it is a direct port system......which brings up the topic of strict pre-inspection of all vehicles.
ashwingop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 12:58   #22
BHPian

yeah but that "one pop of the hood",is not being done. If that was done earlier.Then we would'nt have cases of zens running gti heads in certain indian classes.
But things are certainly gettting better no doubt. If we had another body similar to the present one then, they could learn off each other and things will start to look up.
cinclaturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 13:02   #23
Team-BHP Support

Good news is that there will no longer be only 1 guy with the timing equipement. Plus, a proper National Drag racing Championship is planned for 2006, which will run to strict regulations.

And the winner can OFFICIALLY call him/herself the fastest Indian in the 1/4 mile.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 13:13   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinclaturbo
yeah but that "one pop of the hood",is not being done. If that was done earlier.Then we would'nt have cases of zens running gti heads in certain indian classes.
But things are certainly gettting better no doubt. If we had another body similar to the present one then, they could learn off each other and things will start to look up.
is it, could u elaborate a bit on that..i was of the opinion that 1 or 2 of the esteems were running twin cam heads in the esteem class..regarding the zens im not aware of..waiting to here about these zens and whom they belong to..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 13:18   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Good news is that there will no longer be only 1 guy with the timing equipement. Plus, a proper National Drag racing Championship is planned for 2006, which will run to strict regulations.

And the winner can OFFICIALLY call him/herself the fastest Indian in the 1/4 mile.
thanks wonderful news RT..hope this isnt one of those all show but no go plans..talking of timing equipment i heard that aditya alwa the host of the burnout drag is getting down some timing equipment too..if yes then i think we can have more drags anually than just the speedrun we have now..

even we all here are waiting to see drags run on a strict regualtion basis wherein in noone gets away by cheating..

so the winner can officially call himself/herself indias fastest 1/4 mile eh..psycho u listening??
Old 9th December 2005, 13:22   #26
Team-BHP Support

Downside is, it may only be for 4-wheelers, as organisers have problems controling the 2 wheelers.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 13:32   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Downside is, it may only be for 4-wheelers, as organisers have problems controling the 2 wheelers.
a simple solution to that would be to run the foreign bikes class first up in the morning..that way the crowd would be less and hence less problems..comeon these guys spend lakhs and lakhs to get their bikes and how can we rob them of one legal oppurtunity they get to throttle up completely..dont u think justice should be done to all specially when we are talking about competions being held fair and square..
Old 9th December 2005, 16:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Until such time as we actually get to race on a proper drag strip (bureaucratic shenanigans allowing), there are certain basic & simple things to be done that will enhance the viewing experience (in addition to whats already been said):

1) Put up H-U-G-E signboards near the end of the track on either lane, that display ET & terminal speed immediately after the run. This is the standard all over the world and enables spectators (& unofficial timekeepers) to know whats going on and who's faster. Instantly.

2) Cordon off the area around the track so that only people, and NOTHING else get in. Powered vehicles should NOT be allowed and should be parked only in the designated area. Any violator should be immediately reprimanded. This job should be done not by the security agency but by traffic policemen deputed specially for the job.

3) The designated pit area should be cordoned off for the viewing public. However that area should be designed in such a way that the cars can be seen from a reasonable distance (say 20 ft). A semi-circular parking area with the inside of the circle having access to the track, and the outside for viewers, is a good option.

4) Dust around the track may be controlled by water-sprinkling just before the event begins.

5) Security must be stationed every 100 ft. on either side of the track to rule out any chance of a trespasser.

As for the classes I completely agree with Psycho.

1) The scrutiny for the present events is nothing but a joke. Qualified technical scrutineers should be deputed to check the winning vehicles according to rules.

2) NOS/Turbo should have a separate category, according to displacement. i.e. the usual 800/1000/1300/2000 cc classes should be differentiated by prefixing NA & FA (normal aspiration & forced aspiration) to the respective displacement class. This nonsense of multiplication factors demands to be consigned to the dustbin.

3) There should be OPEN classes just like there are now. There is no point in banning them because it curbs creativity and technical advancement. The present grouping of Indian open & Foreign open is satisfactory.

4) The 2 wheeler and 4 wheeler classes could be run alternately. i.e. the line-up would look like: Upto 800cc NA/ Upto 800 cc FA/ 80-110 cc 2-stroke/800-1300 NA/800-1300 FA/110-150 cc 2-stroke and so on. This will ensure that the "show" caters to everyone in the crowd. Ergo, nobody gets restless and does something crazy like streaking across the track.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 21:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Rtech, I hope what you said comes to fruition, because that's the best news I've heard in a while!!!

The scrutiny is a big joke. The guys came and asked me "Stock car aa? No modifications aa?". So I said yes, and they signed on my hood. End of story. They didn't so much as look at at my head, or my block. We all know the Esteem blocks have a 1298 inscribed at the bottom, so how come no one checked for that?

Has anyone ever wondered why we are against NOS? It's not just the unfair advantage of 30bhp for a few seconds. Imagine I am trying to break into the circle and win some respect. I get my head ported and a decent exhaust setup. Strip my car. I run the right rubber. Up against anyone, I drive well enough to hold my own. But some rich dude comes along and plonks down 70k for a nitrous setup. My whole mod bill is 20k, and I lose instantly anyway. There's no way someone on a budget can match the power of nitrous...

Man, people have been talking about this crap for a while now...the sooner the MAI gets its act together and professionalises the whole show, the better.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 22:07   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
scrutiny is a big joke. The guys came and asked me "Stock car aa? No modifications aa?". So I said yes, and they signed on my hood. End of story. They didn't so much as look at at my head, or my block. We all know the Esteem blocks have a 1298 inscribed at the bottom, so how come no one checked for that.
This will help, but will drive up cost of organization and therefore cost of participation. Usually the top 3 cars are fully stripped and checked for compliance with regs. The more the number of classes
more of your cost of scrutiny. But I guess its ievitable to make the competetion fair.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote