Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 4th March 2008, 05:41   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
BTW, there really is a Gautam Sachdev/Sachdeva. He's a racer type from Mumbai. Maybe KS or someone can tell us which team he represents.
I believe he is the owner of Carmodernize, a company that makes bodykits. He ran an Evo IV at this year's speedru.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 06:21   #182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Hey people, did anyone crash or something???
i saw a white car being towed on the highway yesterday on my way to the domestic airport. The front was gone. It wasnt an Indian car and looked something like the one in this picture.
This car reached the Holding Area and conked out. It jusst wouldn't start after that. We had it towed back to the pits. What happened after that, I don't know.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 06:39   #183
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
Theoretically, it is possible. You are arriving at your top speed estimate based on linear acceleration, or a constant rate of increase of speed. However, a variable rate of increase of speed could mean you max out 350 m down, and actually decelerate. Or cruise. Alternatively, you could have a slow initial speed, and a mind-blowing trap speed, because your ride pulls hard halfway down the strip. I remember last year, Baban Khan had a top speed around 190 kmph, even though his launch was rather conservative. The year before that, his trap speed was 15 kmph higher than Arun's, on their respective RDs, even though he came 2nd to Arun by 0.2 seconds.

Warning: absolute sleep deprivation can lead to mental velocity calculations.
I'm not exactly following your train of thought, but what was being said by Shan2nu is correct, that trap speed and those ET's do not work together. It was not like the car didn't launch well, or it bogged badly. While it did spin, it also accelerated quite well and didn't seem to have any hickups down the track. It was a good time and a great run, but 205mph just isn't in the cards for that run. All the cars running over 200mph traps speeds in the import world are running high 6 second 1/4 mile times, not 9's or even high 8's.
HPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 06:55   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Please use terms like "shear stress" with care unless you know what the hell you're talking about. There's no shear stress acting on the front of the car when its going straight at whatever speed.
Well I dont mean to be rude, but I am doing Motorsports Engineering, And I do understand what the term means. I am talking about stress on the material. Need more explanations, cant go off topic. But please check the FIA European Drag Championship car build up if you can. Have read the book and thats why I spoke of it.
AnniHilat0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 07:01   #185
Senior - BHPian

Neither do I, considering I've done a Masters in Automotive engineering and contemplating a PhD. My thesis is on materials. And I don't see how shear stress has anything to do with de-stabilizing a car at high speed.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 07:15   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Neither do I, considering I've done a Masters in Automotive engineering and contemplating a PhD. My thesis is on materials. And I don't see how shear stress has anything to do with de-stabilizing a car at high speed.
Guess then the books wrong .
AnniHilat0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 08:29   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
Guess then the books wrong .
which book.......how about a link? or a quote of what it says about your whole shear stress theory? you can pm me if the mods dont like this to be here.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 08:43   #188
BANNED

Hi guys,

Excellent pics and videos. Whoever has got the pics & videos of my car & Vikram's Civic run can you please email or post them here.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 09:19   #189
BHPian

@ Ananth & Anhilator

Guy, Don't bring the texts in here please. Believe me not worth fighting over it. Look at the positive side, you both share a couple of things in common - both of you have done automotive engineering and both of your aliases start with 'An'. Guess great minds think alike. so cool it.
krazydriver84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 09:43   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Theoretically, it is possible. You are arriving at your top speed estimate based on linear acceleration, or a constant rate of increase of speed. However, a variable rate of increase of speed could mean you max out 350 m down, and actually decelerate. Or cruise. Alternatively, you could have a slow initial speed, and a mind-blowing trap speed, because your ride pulls hard halfway down the strip. I remember last year, Baban Khan had a top speed around 190 kmph, even though his launch was rather conservative. The year before that, his trap speed was 15 kmph higher than Arun's, on their respective RDs, even though he came 2nd to Arun by 0.2 seconds.
Yes, thats possible.

But just think about it. With a completely clean start a car doing 330kmph in 400m should ideally be in the 6.8-7 sec range. Now, if this car loses say the first 2 secs due to wheel spin, it can still acc to 330kmph and finish the 1/4 mile in around 9 secs.

1. Did the Skyline have traction probs or a bad launch? - I don't think so.
2. Can a 800bhp (or a 1200bhp) Skyline go from 0-330kmph in 6.8-7 secs? Which even a formula 1 car with similar power and less than half the weight can't do.

In this case, it's even theoretically not possible.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 09:45   #191
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, there really is a Gautam Sachdev/Sachdeva. He's a racer type from Mumbai. Maybe KS or someone can tell us which team he represents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I believe he is the owner of Carmodernize, a company that makes bodykits. He ran an Evo IV at this year's speedru.
Believe he was running 30 PSI of boost !!
At least he was supposed to be.
cyneverdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 09:52   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not exactly following your train of thought, but what was being said by Shan2nu is correct, that trap speed and those ET's do not work together. It was not like the car didn't launch well, or it bogged badly. While it did spin, it also accelerated quite well and didn't seem to have any hickups down the track. It was a good time and a great run, but 205mph just isn't in the cards for that run. All the cars running over 200mph traps speeds in the import world are running high 6 second 1/4 mile times, not 9's or even high 8's.
Yup, there are so many variables that go into deciding the possible trap speed of a car.

9.2 secs is an awesome run but don't expect that car to go any faster than 270-280kmph at the 400m mark.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 4th March 2008 at 09:55.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 10:27   #193
BHPian

BTW what happened with the Black M800. And congrats 'Wolf' & other T-bhp members who participated!!
PiranhaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 10:55   #194

Wow !! First time I miss the speed run in mumbai and I miss out on the skyline.
It must have been a real treat watching the beast finally in action.

Anyways, thanks to all who uploaded the pictures and the results. You guyz are doing a great job. Also, if possible can someone upload some more videos.

Thanks & cheerz to team-bhpians.cheers:
Rohit.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 11:01   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
This car reached the Holding Area and conked out. It jusst wouldn't start after that. We had it towed back to the pits. What happened after that, I don't know.
isnt that a civic turbo?? you could hear the bov hissing when he went past.
heavy_foot is offline   Reply With Quote