Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 13th March 2008, 16:14   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Sam, Dont you think the mis-management has affected the sponsors as well. If we just consider the stickering part:
A.) Failure in checking the whether sponsors stickers are present on ALL the cars without any discrimination.
B)Ensuring the stickering is in place well in advance instead of the last minute checks.

Given all this, why would anyone want to sponsor such an event? . To me, a sub-standard and miss-managed event is not the place to advertise, even if its the only drag event thats on in the country right now !! I guess, feedback from the sponsors to the organisers will go a long way than any multi-page threads here on the forum.
Honestly, the truth of the matter is that every sponsor involved knew that the money was not going to give any positive returns.
Everyone has something interesting to say about GS. Do you think that Raymonds will sell more clothes because GS has an interest in Drag races, cars and motorsports in India? Think, boys.

There were people that got away with not displaying sponsor stickers. The event was mismanaged and not supervised to my satisfaction. So?
Those who are interested in the growth of motorsports should go out of their way to please and interest sponsors.

When you have 10 sponsors instead of these 5, you will be able to have air conditioned hangars for the drivers to wait in. And free petrol too. Make sponsors WANT to sponsor such events.
Do you honestly believe that a corporate reading this thread will want to pay money for a SpeedRun? Pay for an event where drivers are complaining about slapping on a sticker on their cars?

Do you honestly believe that my superiors at JBL will give me money so that all of you can compete against each other in your own cars and do nothing for the brand?

So you want to be sponsored as individuals? Want companies to give you money to drag? COOL.

Where will you drag? Is there a strip you can rent out for 2 days? Even if there was, who is going to pay for that strip? Who is going to pay CIDCO for the use of their property? An Auto Magazine? Why? So you'll buy more Autocar Magazine? ALL of you already buy Autocar. Think again.

And if sponsors pay for that strip and whatever (you may say bad) facilities, what can you (as a collective group of motorcar racers and enthusiasts) give the company that is paying for that drag? 3 banners along the drag strip? You think my company would pay that much for three banners along a drag strip? Do you think my company really cares about how much motorsports progresses in India?

NO. YOU do.

Create an environment where people want to invest money in a sport YOU love. Give them their money's worth so that more people will pay for what will eventually be a well managed and well organised sport.

And like GTO said, if it's against your principles to place a sticker on your car while racing - Don't race. Or go for an unsponsored drag event. If there is ever one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
Personally, i would rather put a sticker on my car knowing that it's going to keep the sponsor happy and (maybe) coming back than risk losing the speedrun. In the interest of the sport, i think we need to put our egos aside and maintain a broader perspective,
Bravo! Well said indeed.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 13th March 2008 at 16:16.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 16:21   #47
BHPian

Default Very Well Said

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Sam, Dont you think the mis-management has affected the sponsors as well. If we just consider the stickering part:
A.) Failure in checking the whether sponsors stickers are present on ALL the cars without any discrimination.
B)Ensuring the stickering is in place well in advance instead of the last minute checks.

Given all this, why would anyone want to sponsor such an event? . To me, a sub-standard and miss-managed event is not the place to advertise, even if its the only drag event thats on in the country right now !! I guess, feedback from the sponsors to the organisers will go a long way than any multi-page threads here on the forum.

Just what I was thinking, it's about the organisers not about the sponsors.
My 2 cents - Like Ford Rocam had suggested earlier make a list of suggestions for the organisers and take it from there.
mayurpalav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 16:21   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

If the rules had it clearly that competing cars should sport the logos, I do not see anything wrong in the organisers insisting on the stickers being there.

If not, it can at max. be a request and a denial by the competitors should not result in them not being allowed to participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Honestly, the truth of the matter is that every sponsor involved knew that the money was not going to give any positive returns.
I would rephrase that as "they could not quantify the returns", for two reasons.

For one, it is tough to calculate the returns from advertising vis-a-vis the money spent on advertising.

And secondly, in business, if you know for sure that something is not going to give returns for sure, no sane businessman would go for it. Unless he is in it for another cause with intangible/non-monetary/goodwill benefits - say a public interest cause, or a cause that the company supports or personal interest of the top guy in that sport/field.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 13th March 2008 at 16:37.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 16:27   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Default One more thing - Important

Mr. Gautam Singhania had some of the fastest cars at the drag. (of course because he could afford to) Some of you may appreciate his participation, some may not. Your call, I have nothing to say about that.

He could have run the Nissan, Lotus and Lamborghini EASILY without placing sponsor stickers. NOBODY would have stopped the star of the show from participating.

There was no need to tell him and he did not complain. Nobody even asked him nicely. The same packet of stickers was given and it was placed on the supercars. Here take a look:

SpeedRun Sponsorship & Organization Discussion (2008)-dsc_0120_thumb.jpg

SpeedRun Sponsorship & Organization Discussion (2008)-dsc_0123_thumb.jpg

SpeedRun Sponsorship & Organization Discussion (2008)-dsc_0125_thumb.jpg

SpeedRun Sponsorship & Organization Discussion (2008)-dsc_0152_thumb.jpg

He was happy to place the stickers on his cars. For the sport. The sport gentlemen. He already knew he had the fastest car. So did you. It was done for the love of the sport.

So JBL, Amaron and JK tyre would return next year with more money perhaps.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 13th March 2008 at 16:29.
Old 13th March 2008, 17:07   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Ok. Frankly, the "sponsors asking for stickers" thing to me is a non issue (atleast in India) and I do not agree with Ananth's view on that.

I guess the participants who complained about the stickers did so against how and when this rule was enforced (i.e mis management), NOT against the rule itself.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 17:10   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post

We talk of advertising:

1) Why dont the companies sponsor more of the participant projects? Glad that they started approaching (Hats off to them) this year else it was got contacts got sponsor else got a lot of money dont need sponsor.

2) Why should participant cars run the stickers? so that the organisers get the rewards? Shouldnt the participant also get a piece of the pie.
Whoa... This is the first time I am qoing to requote to correct what I wrote:

1) I meant Hats off to the Raymonds Group for also looking at the Participant needs while sponsoring them directly support of the team / individuals could mean a lot more to the sport. In no way does it mean that I would not run the regular stickers as they are already a part of the SR. PS: My cars were not allowed into the area till the stickers were put up and I completely agree to it as they are responsible for the event to happen in the first place.

JBL (hats off to you too) stepped in to sponsor SR maybe due to team-bhp and the exposure they understood it could get amongst the motor sports community. Wish we can see more headed this way.

Would love to see more individuals being sponsored like it is done outside the country and I also know this might not happen unless the sport grows hence it is a chicken and egg situation. This can only be solved if we have more events hence which is where I have asked one and all of you (inclusive of me) to help this sport grow.

2) What I meant by this statement was that the participants could do with better organisation when the sponsors are giving money for such events. I know the hassels of setting up such an event and have been unsuccessful myself to be able to even set one up. And when I say the participant should get a piece of the pie does not necessarily mean direct gains but better prize money / rewards at least if they win.

Just wish the events are not held for the sake of holding an event but more so to advance the sport and this will only happen for the better with experience if one / few dedicated teams drive these events to become a regular feature (getting them experience and the support of the people in the sport) making it worth the while for the sponsor's / goverment to wake up and support the sport.

PS: Thankful to a certain Team-BHPian in a cap and shorts who helped make it worth it for all of us even while saying that his stickers were covered on my car... will make sure they arent next time

Also thank you all sponsors for better stickers that didnt rip the paint off like what happened last year.

Last edited by Psycho : 13th March 2008 at 17:24.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 17:14   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
If the rules had it clearly that competing cars should sport the logos, I do not see anything wrong in the organisers insisting on the stickers being there.
=

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am pretty sure that the compulsion of sponsor stickers on your car was a part of the printed rules. But even if it wasn't, so what?
As petrolheads, this event provides us with one of the verrrrrrrrrry few opportunities to get together and race. BIG DEAL that you have to sport a couple of sponsor stickers on your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Still, must we be so rigid? I mean, cant we be expected to co-operate just only so much to say "No problem, I'll put those sponsor stickers on my car. Considering this is the only legal drag race that takes place in the city, putting a sticker or two to support this event is the least that I can do, as a petrolhead".
I think the organisers would never say this, but if I was in their place, it would be a simple take it or leave it situation. Their event, their rules.

Its like the earlier Team-BHPians saying "Hey, when we joined the forum, there wasn't any rule on SMS language. The rules changed only later, and I will not let them be imposed on me. I will continue to post in slang, but I just cannot be banned". Really not possible now, is it? At the end of the day, everyone has to think about the larger picture......for instance, the SMS rule has been imposed only to improve our forum quality. Similarly, the stickers rule was imposed to ensure that the all-too-imporant corporates stay smiling or return next year. Maybe it was overlooked whilst preparing the rules, or it could be a sponsors last minute demand.

As a true car buff, I'd not make the slightest fuss about putting sponsor stickers on my car, if it makes the guys who sign the cheques happy. If for nothing else, only to ensure that the SpeedRun "runs" next year.

Like I said before, with neither side willing to budge, it is no wonder that Indian motorsports are short of corporate sponsorship. If stickers can become such a big deal to participants in a relatively small 2 day local drag, who even knows what transpires at the national level rally championship level!!

Last edited by GTO : 13th March 2008 at 17:19.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 17:45   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Everyone has something interesting to say about GS. Do you think that Raymonds will sell more clothes because GS has an interest in Drag races, cars and motorsports in India? Think, boys.

There were people that got away with not displaying sponsor stickers. The event was mismanaged and not supervised to my satisfaction. So?
Those who are interested in the growth of motorsports should go out of their way to please and interest sponsors.

When you have 10 sponsors instead of these 5, you will be able to have air conditioned hangars for the drivers to wait in. And free petrol too. Make sponsors WANT to sponsor such events.
Do you honestly believe that a corporate reading this thread will want to pay money for a SpeedRun? Pay for an event where drivers are complaining about slapping on a sticker on their cars?

Do you think my company really cares about how much motorsports progresses in India?

NO. YOU do.

Create an environment where people want to invest money in a sport YOU love. Give them their money's worth so that more people will pay for what will eventually be a well managed and well organised sport.
Sam, you have put down certain things here which only a true racer/ persuer will understand and feel. As we sit in our backyards wondering how to showcase an event such as this to attract more sponsors some of our own are acting exactly against it here. Im sure its either due to ignorance or some more of it in regards to the nitty grittes of an event in discussion!

I was the first person to express my grevience on the ACI forums knowing fully that the coordination bween them and the even mgmt company was poor and my complaint revolved completely around that! Now that ACI has heard many a folks like me Im sure they realize what went wrong and whats fixable however about the cry on sponsor stickers being mandatory I think even they wondering how ignorant some of here are!!!

Offthought; Its organizers discretion whether to make the stickers mandatory or not, it souldnt matter to the nonparticipants and participants would have agreed to it while signing off the entry forms, now who has a problem here?

Last edited by The Wolf : 13th March 2008 at 17:51.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 18:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Offthought; Its organizers discretion whether to make the stickers mandatory or not, it souldnt matter to the nonparticipants and participants would have agreed to it while signing off the entry forms, now who has a problem here?
So it was mentioned on the form was it?

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 21:13   #55
BHPian

rev(with the single V)head, good to see you posting here after a while!!
and well said too.

Sam, i am noting with keen interest you new found love for Motoracing!! Ahem!!

and on topic...

They make the event,
the rules are there. You sign the forms
Stick the damn things!!

oh.. and the title stickers are horrendously large.. is that windscreen one compulsory too. its bloody ghastly!
Revvhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 21:28   #56
BHPian

Sam Kapasi !! I ensured that all the stickers as required by ACI went on our cars. If you look closely,we even had the ZOD stickers, who are competitors.We never complained one bit nor were we given any partial treatment. Why is everyone assuming that we were co-sponsors? The Nissan,Honda,Lambo & Lotus have always sported our brand stickers for various promotions. Even the Tees were part of our promotion which we had for the kids.We do not have to participate in SR for publicity.All our brands are household names.
dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 21:40   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
Sam Kapasi !! I ensured that all the stickers as required by ACI went on our cars. If you look closely,we even had the ZOD stickers, who are competitors.We never complained one bit nor were we given any partial treatment.
Actually that was exactly my point and I was appreciating that fact.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 13th March 2008 at 21:41.
Old 13th March 2008, 22:18   #58
Senior - BHPian

In any such niche event, the entry money is peanuts compared to the expenses. All you're paying for is the costs to offset your very presence . Just because you paid it doesnt mean you get to run the show. Its the sponsors who are the main cash flow- If they decide to pull the plug, you're a goner - No amount of talk of self respect or pride will bring back a lost opportunity

Back in college , we were organizing a LAN party in our college festival. We'd managed to bag Intel as our sponsor. Now this was during the heyday of the Pentium 4, and we were a staunch bunch of AMD fanbois.

the day of the tourney, the guy from Intel comes up with a bunch of Intel banners ( screaming gaming , performance , and what not) and (worse ) large intel inside stickers which we were asked to stick on our (mostly AMD) PC's. There were just 2 or 3 Intels in that room ( ~30 PC's ) and yet we stuck em onto our PC's - some folks stuck them onto their monitors as sort of a mock protest

whether using AMD PC's to promote Intel constituted deceptive advertising? I really have no idea. But to put it very simply, he who holds the purse.....

Last edited by greenhorn : 13th March 2008 at 22:19.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 00:41   #59
BHPian

hey sam you as a sponsor are correct in your place,i just want to bring to your notice the night before the drag i was there with a few friends at the aci office,about the sponsor sticker's,they didnt even have the participant folder's ready,whether you believe it or not we had to sit and make folder's ourselves with only our mai licenses given in hand,most sponsor sticker's were lying in stacks in the corner inside the mai office(including the big "Speed" stickers,they did not bother about all the sponsor stickers,i saw some poor participants leaving the office unaware that they dont even have the complete sponsor sticker's,and then it was a big problem for them to race at the event next day,im not just posting another compaint about their mismanagement,im just trying to bring to your notice that they themselves are not bothered whether all sponsor stickers reach the participants or not,since your company invests so much money,next time around please ensure that all participants atleast receive advertisement stickers,cheers..happy revvin..!
dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 00:45   #60
Senior - BHPian

First time I've ever seen Sam getting passionate on this forum. That too in the Motorsport section. My my, what is this world coming to? lol

Quote:
This is the bit that's seriously scaring me. With our half a sport, the last thing we need is negative publicity.

Seeing as how atleast 1 sponsor can sense the mood among participants, I hope that ACI/Hungama sits up and takes notice of this and improves the scene, next time around.

Last edited by v1p3r : 14th March 2008 at 00:46.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote