Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 28th April 2008, 18:34   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
@neoranjit

I'm just teasing bro'. No offense, i hope. The pic in question, was the last pic i took on Sat. night at the parking lot...OK. I won't post it. No worry.
oh ok. Now i get it. Thanks Nick.
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 19:42   #182
Senior - BHPian

Why the sticky tape across the headlights?...
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 20:06   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Incase the glass breaks, it would stay there itself due to the tape holding it in place, instead of falling on the track and creating problems for other cars.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 20:29   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Incase the glass breaks, it would stay there itself due to the tape holding it in place, instead of falling on the track and creating problems for other cars.
Thanks buddy. I was thinking the same, but wanted to make sure.
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 14:37   #185
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Here is my take.

I left to Forum at about 8:30 am to meet up with Satya and brraj. Reached there by 9 (the time we had decided upon). Brraj soon arrived. Yet there was no sign of Satya or the elantra. He arrived maybe an hour later (and proudly says i follow IST). We grabbed a quick bite and off we left.

We reached Krishnagiri toll by about 11:55 and then to Muscat (coffee shop opposite to the track) around 2pm.

Meanwhile all the way from Hosur, Satya kept belting the car trying to capture 180+ on his HD ready cam. Finally he managed it, and then gave up the wheel to Rajiv as he wanted to take some rest. We were accompanied by another friend of Satya's too.

We grabbed a quick bite at Muscat and off we went to the track.

Track side, I first saw John (e_l), nitrous, aditya, roc, nickatnite, madan, ajo amongst others. Went up and spoke to all of them. Then headed to the car, started unloading everything and off we were.....

Oh, did I mention that when we entered track we didn't find one car running and almost my heart sunk thinking that none had come? Only when we entered the pit lane I was quite surprised to see so many cars all lined up. Kudos to all those who turned up.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 14:53   #186
BANNED

Default The ON TRACK experience!!!!

Soon, I heard a loud roar. It was white, it was tall. And there was this man who seemed small when compared to the white monster. Yes it was headers with his gypsy. I saw him take C1 from the pit wall and I was mighty impressed.

Soon the 4 of us got into the car and I took them out for 4 laps just to show them the line. We were just cruising around teaching Satya the lines while I saw the gypsy screaming past and out of sight. I did keep an eye to see how it handled. I was mighty impressed with the way it took to the track. I was more impressed with the way Vikram was driving it.

Soon after 4 laps we got into the pits and Satya took the drivers seat while I sat beside him. For the first few laps I just sat quite while he made a lot of mistakes. Then after 3 laps I started telling him where he was going wrong and how he could correct his mistakes. He did two more laps with a lot of his errors corrected. Then we approached the slow left hander before the bridge. He missed his braking point, got his entry and exit wrong, carried too much speed and before he realized he got all nervous and instead of braking he put his foot down on the A pedal and wouldnt lift off.

We first hit the curbs, then we were heading straight to the tire barriers. I waited for Satya to start braking. Yet, he continued to accelerate even after crossing the kerbs. I then grabbed hold of the steering with one hand and started wrestling with it to avoid going into the barriers. While Satya kept accelerating . The car first fishtailed left, then right, then left and soon we were facing a different direction all together. Yet, Satya's foot was firm on the A pedal. I tell you, it takes some guts to do that. Soon we found ourselves on track, with the car still totally out of control. It helped that Satya finally realized that he had to go off the A pedal and start braking while I kept wrestling with the steering to keep the car in a straight line. Finally we managed it. We had spun god knows how many times.

Then we breathed a sigh of relief. Only then had it sunk into my mind that this bit of action was perhaps the most exciting moment I have ever had on track. And I have had quite a few. From almost being run over by a M3 and a Evo, to losing a tire while turning into C4, to riding shotgun while Keshav did a 720 deg spin on my car. This experience gave that adrenaline rush that had surpassed all my previous encounters. Soon we headed to the pits, so that I could take over the wheel and teach Satya where he was going wrong.
Old 29th April 2008, 15:07   #187
BANNED

Over the next 4 laps I was teaching Satya where he went wrong and how to correct his mistakes I came across the Cedia behind me. I constantly kept checking my mirrors and found that ROC kept taking the wrong lines around the track.

Satya then got into the drivers seat and started practicing all that I had taught him. And I was mighty impressed with the speed with which he started learning. Kudos to Satya. Soon he got all his lines right and with a few more laps under his belt he started to up his pace considerably as well. I could see him enjoy driving the car more and more with each passing lap. And as every lap went by he felt more confident about his driving as well.

I must admit though that this man is quite brave. I have seen people back off from going to track after a small incident. But the very fact that Satya didn't even once think about backing out of driving his car even after the miraculous spin we had is worthy of being appreciated. Thats some spirit he showed.

While Satya was enjoying, I kept taking videos and we soon approached the Cedia of ROC. And I was quite concerned to see him go all over the track, not getting the apex's right. Initially, i thought he was just pushing hard and hence was missing his braking point but when the same thing repeated itself for 2 laps I was quite worried.

We soon drove into the pits and spoke to the few regulars to kindly help the first timers on track to teach them the proper lines in order to prevent them from harming their cars, themselves and possibly others as well. I was quite shocked to know that none had actually quite come forward to inquire what the correct line across the track was.

Soon went around telling all the first timers to get in touch with vikram, aditya, madan or myself to help them learn the lines. Then we decided it was best to do a couple of formation laps and teach them the lines. Surprisingly only two cars volunteered. ROC's Cedia and Rahulkool's Palio. Three laps down I came back into the pits driving the Elantra.
Old 29th April 2008, 15:08   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

This trackday was fun. Luckily the weather wasn't too hot or humid and was slightly cloudy. I really missed ripping my esteem on the track.

Hopefully will manage to source a set of slicks for the next event.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 15:21   #189
BANNED

I soon thought it was best I sat individually with each of the drivers and helped them learn the lines. First in line was ROC with his Cedia. Got into the drivers seat. Did a very slow lap teaching him the turn in points, braking points, apex's etc. Then started upping my pace just to see how the Cedia handled on track.

To be honest, I was very disappointed with the PP2's. The tires had absolutely no traction around corners on track (they might have been over-inflated as well). The car had a lot of body roll. I managed to capture the body roll on a video that I shall soon upload for everyone to see. The engine is not such a quick revving engine after all. I had expected a lot out of this car, but to say the least I was a lot disappointed. After showing him the lines for about 4 laps we came into the pits and we swapped places. I did another 3 laps with ROC driving around track, me correcting his mistakes. Then I got off at the pits and accompanied the 3 I had come so far with.

Rajiv decided to try his hand out on track and was super super hot into every corner. Had we done 10 laps with his driving style, Satya would have to say goodbye to his PP2 as well . He toned down his driving and soon I think even Rajiv began to enjoy his track experience.

We then pulled into the pits with Satya wanting to do one last session. This time I kept a keen eye on ROC's lines and I found a considerable improvement in his lines when compared to earlier. Well done ROC. A few more track days and you will right up there.

We then called it a day. Decided to head into town for a couple of drinks at Geoffrey's. What happened here was loads of fun and as usual at every tbhp meet we have a scape goat who everyone makes fun off. Soon nitrous headed off on work (we all assumed). After a lot of arguing on whether we bangy boys should stay back or head to adi's house for a bachelor party we decided to head back home via the OMR.

We had dinner near Chittore and dropped Chandra to Kolar and got back home at 3am.
Old 29th April 2008, 15:28   #190
BANNED

Impression of Elantra on Track: This car was real fun to drive on track. It handled pretty well as well. Took corners in a way I had not expected it to. Though I had two issues with the car. The PP2's sucked on track. Atleast both on the elantra and the cedia. They might be excellent tires on highways but not on track. The gear ratios of the elantra were a big let down as well. I had to shift into 5th at the entry into the straight of the long loop. And most corners I had to be in 3rd gear with the turbo just about spooling up than staying near redline in 2nd like we do in petrols. Oh, yes the car is a bit front end heavy as well. Wish the weight distribution was a tad better.

All in all it was a wonderful track experience. And we managed to get another enthusiast hooked to the concept of track day. Satya says he wont be missing even a single track day from now on .

And as for the weather, having been to every track day held so far at MMST this was the best weather we have had over all the track days barring the first one (where it was raining). We had loads of fun. Next to come will be pics and some videos.

Last but not the least, a big thanks to Satya for taking me to track.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 29th April 2008 at 15:38.
Old 29th April 2008, 15:36   #191
Senior - BHPian

@ mcl - what about the new red palio? did you get to drive the car as well? enjoyed going through your posts.

@ others - lovely pics ) all of you guys had a blast
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 15:36   #192
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
And did you guys get to rent the FISSMEs?
Actually, I am told that we can rent them out from the teams. Working on this, since the next time I intend to rent out a swift for half a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Very nice event & great pictures too! You guys fancy holding one in June if possible??
Ishaan. First confirm when your coming down south. I'll manage the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
2. Good that the temp needle didn't go up, that point was made by me as per personal experience turbo cars and it was not meant for NA cars.
Is it only for turbo petrols? Because the elantra did around 50 + laps and didn't break a sweat.

Quote:
ps: have been on the track enough times and have seen more than enough to warrant an opinion of my own and the best part I never even did put it on the thread. I believe in being safe tthan sorry.
I guess its time for you to put up some of these experiences so that the rest could benefit from it. Not all are aware what problems could be faced on track, how to detect them and how to get them rectified. Your experience could serve as a detailed ready reckoner for us.
Old 29th April 2008, 15:37   #193
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
@ mcl - what about the new red palio? did you get to drive the car as well? enjoyed going through your posts.
No mate. Rahul was doing pretty well. So didn't drive his car.
Old 29th April 2008, 23:09   #194
BHPian

Do any of you guys have video footage of cars in action?
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 01:13   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Ishaan. First confirm when your coming down south. I'll manage the rest.
Sure Rahul, let me fix up a confirmed program & I'll let you guys know before hand.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote