Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 24th September 2008, 14:58   #31
BHPian

Hey Nick glad you mad eit to the track. Just a few things:-

1) The formulas cars are the FRC's - Formula Rolon Chevrolet.
2) The saloons are not all 1000 cc cars - these are cc to weight ratio category cars. All run engines higher than 1000 cc.
3) The white lady with the white top is not from the FIA and is not stationed in Chennai either. She is part of JK mortorsports and in charge of their public relations.

Next and final round is on the 4th and 5th. Hope to catch up with you track side.

Cheers.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 15:11   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Sorry for hijacking your thread.
You are absolutely right. Talent or not, people used to at least turn up and form a grid.
the_trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 19:38   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Guys, a n00b question...
What are those two push rods that extend towards the front of the car ? The Formula Rolon Chevys have movable aero or are they for anti-roll bars or something ?
aero no. Roll bar yes. Even F1 is not allowed to use movable aero elements.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 02:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho View Post
It is interesting to compare sholavaram and today's racing, to begin, most of the cars that you see in the Sholavaram were home made, there were no safety regulations etc.., notice people wearing t-shirts !!! Also the more money you put in they more the gap was.. if you see current races they will all finish without too many people getting lapped.. those days people got lapped in the 2nd or 3rd lap.

I personally feel todays racing is the future, Sholovaram was just a track day were people turned up and showed off their hard ware, there was no driving talent or development in racing 2 long straights and 4 corners.

Wish we could get a track in the North, that would really bring more awareness to the sport.

Also the Number 88 bike (white with blue and black strips is me, I qualified 5th overall and finsihed 4th overall and 2nd in the 600cc class.)
Your perspective as a rider/driver, upcoming or otherwise, is well taken.

However, as far as Sholavaram is concerned, I disagree that more money meant more speed. There are people, perhaps some even on this forum, who regularly outran expensive import machinery in stuff built in their yard.

I guess this was one of the crowd pullers, in addition to the configuration of the track, which while being not very technical for drivers, provided excitement for the spectators. Call it the Indian equivalent of Nascar if you will.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 19:21   #35
Joz
BHPian

Nice pics. Really impressed with how the superbike scene is taking some serious steps forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Accord looks raised or is it the angle of pic?
KP, the Accord is not raised. Its just running 18" wheels. No other change.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2008, 02:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess this was one of the crowd pullers, in addition to the configuration of the track, which while being not very technical for drivers, provided excitement for the spectators. Call it the Indian equivalent of Nascar if you will.
I'd add the fact that it was accessible to the layman, and one could often see one's friends/relatives/local heroes up on the grid, alongside people who are now legends.

Today a race suit and a rollcage itself put paid to the racing dreams of most people.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2008, 13:15   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Nice photos. Compare the grid with this one from the 70's and everyone will agree that Indian motorsport is not what it used to be. I feel sad and dejected that my generation (including myself) has not experienced the awesomeness of being on track at the same time as a contemporary F1 car, with homebuilt machinery no less:
Easy to say Anath, But hard to agree.
The time that you talk about was basically aceesible to people with a decent amount of time & money at their disposal.

Today, It's ar easier for wanna be racers to to make it to a competitive event and try and see if they can hack it.
They dont need to build a car from scrath or own an expensive one. You can rent one in any one of the categories and pitch yourself against the competion in EQUAL machinery.
Start from FISSME or Racestar & make your way up.

Look at the number of classes now running on the grid on a single race weekend.

F Swift, F hyundai Endurace races, F Rolon, CC to weight Saloons, Racstart Saloons.

Gives you a wide range and grid is not hogged by the same drivers in a single class with no space for Newbies to come in.

This is the way forward.. more categories.

The only thing missing are the tracks in the North, West and the declinee of the Calcutta racing scene. If these elements were to also come in Indian racing which is a a growth Phase will get even healthier.

Simply Harking back to the old days and lamenting aint gonna improve nothing
Revvhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2008, 13:16   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
aero no. Roll bar yes. Even F1 is not allowed to use movable aero elements.
Not till next year at any rate MP

hows you been buddy.
Revvhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 18:12   #39
BHPian

Nice pics there guys!

Makes me regret my decision to move to Bangalore from Chennai. Btw, you guys should see Sholavaram now, its in a really pitiable state. We still use that for drag runs though, still with the undulating surface and sand everywhere it bears no signs of ever being a race track!

I hope someone someday restores it atleast to some extent!
praful is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 23:16   #40
BHPian

More pictures people...
Attached Thumbnails
An afternoon at the MMSC Track.-img_5635.jpg  

An afternoon at the MMSC Track.-img_5637.jpg  

An afternoon at the MMSC Track.-img_5639.jpg  

An afternoon at the MMSC Track.-img_5646.jpg  

An afternoon at the MMSC Track.-img_5700.jpg  

Last edited by harmon_bro : 29th September 2008 at 23:27.
harmon_bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 01:31   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Nice pics there guys!

Makes me regret my decision to move to Bangalore from Chennai. Btw, you guys should see Sholavaram now, its in a really pitiable state. We still use that for drag runs though, still with the undulating surface and sand everywhere it bears no signs of ever being a race track!

I hope someone someday restores it atleast to some extent!
Can you post some pics when you go there next. Always wondered what happened to the place. Who owns the track?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 09:56   #42
BHPian

Post edited by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use external picture hosts such as photobucket, imageshack etc. We advise you to read our board rules carefully, before proceeding any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Can you post some pics when you go there next. Always wondered what happened to the place. Who owns the track?
This would be slightly OT here, but here goes anyways. Well most of the pics are from the area which has is slightly smooth and relatively smooth for approximately a mile. I'm not sure if anyone owns the place, but its used by trucks in and around the area. And also by some enthusiasts over the weekends for either learning to ride/drive or of aero modelling,etc!

Notice the sand flying when the bike are rolling, and at some places the sand is larger mounds which can be quite dangerous!

Last edited by GTO : 30th September 2008 at 11:31.
Old 30th September 2008, 10:07   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
This would be slightly OT here, but here goes anyways. Well most of the pics are from the area which has is slightly smooth and relatively smooth for approximately a mile. I'm not sure if anyone owns the place, but its used by trucks in and around the area. And also by some enthusiasts over the weekends for either learning to ride/drive or of aero modelling,etc!
The pictures will provoke anyone's sentiments who were regular visitors of this track. I remember my Dad taking me there every year when competitive race happens sometime in Feb or March as per the race calendar. Iam touched seeing these pictures. The races when held at the Sholavaram it was like a festival. Big temporary makeshift stands for the large crowd. Many stalls for stickers, engine oil, accessories. It was alll happening. So much crowd with no space to move. It was excellent.

It was the same at the Sriperambadur as well. But over time everything has changed :-(. Is someone listening? We need to "PROMOTE" advertise the race events that are currently happening, issue tickets for the races and lets have the grand stands coming up.

Hope the concerned people come up with a strategy.

Thanks for the pictures mate and hope to see more of it.
harmon_bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 10:40   #44
BHPian

Post edited by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use external picture hosts such as photobucket, imageshack etc. Your pictures have been reloaded via the Team-BHP Attachment system. We advise you to read our board rules carefully, before proceeding any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon_bro View Post
The pictures will provoke anyone's sentiments who were regular visitors of this track. I remember my Dad taking me there every year when competitive race happens sometime in Feb or March as per the race calendar. Iam touched seeing these pictures. The races when held at the Sholavaram it was like a festival. Big temporary makeshift stands for the large crowd. Many stalls for stickers, engine oil, accessories. It was alll happening. So much crowd with no space to move. It was excellent.

It was the same at the Sriperambadur as well. But over time everything has changed :-(. Is someone listening? We need to "PROMOTE" advertise the race events that are currently happening, issue tickets for the races and lets have the grand stands coming up.

Hope the concerned people come up with a strategy.

Thanks for the pictures mate and hope to see more of it.
With time things need to improve and at the same time the old should not be forgotten. And totally agree that motorsport in India needs to be promoted much much more. Sholavaram needs to be restored atleast for history's sake, but in a country like our where one (me included) is running after the hike/promotion most of this becomes really difficult.

After all we need to have more stuff happening like this.....

Last edited by GTO : 30th September 2008 at 11:31.
Old 21st October 2009, 14:27   #45

Do we get cars on rent for practice at MMSC track...??? if yes, which are the different segments of cars available and what are the rents...???
kcadithrao04 is offline   Reply With Quote