Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 19th January 2009, 23:24   #271
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down

Returned to bangalore a couple of hours back...

Well, it wasnt a great experience, especially for 4 Tbhpians -Myself, SSJR, Grey and Psycho.

Myself: Ended up with a jump start (I had my doubts cleared on the cristmas tree's 3rd amber on the right lane having a delay after Grey and few others ended up having jump starts in that lane!). I am not trying to raise a reason to cover anything here but we have proof to show, Greys run video in which the guy in the other lane launches before him but doesnt receive a jump start while he does! Morover if there was a jump start why was it not even informed to the driver on his way back, some top secret that cannot be divulged eh?!!

Grey: Jump start!He saw the green light coming on clearly, he is still wondering where he went wrong, its been hours since he started thinking!

SSJR: Disqualified for performing a burnout near the staging area, the guy who is supposedly some chief didnt know what a burnout was hence got tremendously scared to see a car revving high 20feet away from him. His officials tried telling him that its alright for a competitor to perform a burnout however his vintage ego got better of him and he put the case to rest by asking "its either him (Shreyansh) or me", the officials quickly budged like nut sacs!

Psycho: Malfunctioning electronics, startup problem, wasnt allowed to run once the car was fixed, fairly 10mins after he had staged the first time, not fair at all!!!

Outcome: 3 fastest cars in India in their categories respectively were out of contention, such a shame!

There was crazy amount of confusion within the bodies of the SR panel themselves around several rules and the goof ups so many that it might take me several hours to actually draft...no, I aint kidding for beer this time!

Last edited by The Wolf : 19th January 2009 at 23:31.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 23:33   #272
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Do you know what was his Run time ? he said his RT was 1.1 Secs.

Zak has an RX ?
I am not very sure about that, when I had been for drive in that car on 1st January it was dam fast (Response was very quick).

Yes, he has one. If you remember the bike which set the best timing in Bombay speed run was crashed in Vijayanagar by an amateur guy, the libero which was handled by Zak belongs to the supercharged Honda guy.

Till the time I met Zak, I had not thought that a libero could be tuned like that. If I am not wrong Zak is know for tuning the Yamaha bikes from ages.

Thanks for posting snaps and the videos guys. After reading comments on this thread its very clear that in HYD Shabbir’s Supra has created waves.
vinayvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 00:03   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SSJR: Disqualified for performing a burnout near the staging area, the guy who is supposedly some chief didnt know what a burnout was hence got tremendously scared to see a car revving high 20feet away from him. His officials tried telling him that its alright for a competitor to perform a burnout however his vintage ego got better of him and he put the case to rest by asking "its either him (Shreyansh) or me", the officials quickly budged like nut sacs!
That was really unfortunate... The audience were also not happy with that 'chief'. Hope the organizers learn and improve the next time!
Hyd non-T-Bhp member Prabhu was even asked to remove the strut-braces from his stock zen by one among of the scrutiny team while the one along with him was saying that they aren't a problem! They were a confused lot IMHO!
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 00:19   #274
BHPian

The black lancer did race. It dragged with a red skoda. As said by the their team mates. They said it was supposed to be a 300 bhp skoda. And of course the Skoda won.

An in regards to the burnout part. I have on the 1st day the race dynamics team warming up their tyres at the other side of the road itself before entering into the drags.
However i do agree the officials/ panels were confused of wht not put or remove. Hopefully it should be better next time.

Last edited by nosfreak : 20th January 2009 at 00:21.
nosfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 01:11   #275
Senior - BHPian

So, as predicted, organisation was not upto the mark.

@ishaan, nice preach. Remember, each car's trucking to HYD from BLR costs 11k. Then it costs about 3k to go and come. Add another 3k for food and stay, and say 2-3k for miscellaneous expenses. That's 20k for the race weekend. In addition to the lakhs invested in cars and parts, and the hours, days and months invested in making them perform. And not all of us are the children of superstars, who can drive up in our M6s and F430s. Most of us have day jobs where we try and earn a living.

We all appreciate your initiative in organising a race. If you want any help with writing the rules/regulations, or deciding such things, I'm sure people like me would be happy to help. But we don't spend a whole bucketload of our precious money and even more precious time to come to an event and hope that 'it will be better next year'. So next time, please ensure that your organisation of the event is better, or flawless. If you need help, all you have to do is ask.

Also, please realise that you had no barricade across the track. If a kid/spectator/animal had wandered across the path of an f430 doing 200 kmph at the end, you would have effectively ended drag racing in India forever.

Addedly, please keep in mind the people who are talking here have enough experience as tuners/participants/winners at national events.

Last edited by v1p3r : 20th January 2009 at 01:13.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 03:56   #276
BHPian

Someone,
Results with timings please.....
Thanks
joshuasam400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 05:39   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

All in all, it was an impressive turnout from the local imports and supercars. The Bangalore local supercar turnout is not so good in the Jakkur drags. I'm sure there could be some improvements for the next year as far as organisation goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Wolf = Did the run but was not counted as he did a jump start ( A very good run though, That car is QUICK )
Shrey = Disqualified because he did a Burnout before the start ( in the Practice run, he was faster than an RS, guess with stage 1 petes modifications )
Physco ( i guess you meant Psycho ) = Engine went off at the start line, He tried to get it started but the car did not start until the time alloted for that class was over, so couldnt run.

I think these people should be allowed to do a re-run in the end...at least because they came from so far to participate. The Bangalore contingent really contributed to the events success.

Now whats wrong in doing a controlled burnout. Its a commonly used technique to warm up slick tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Ferrari solo run video.
The kid needs more practice. The engine bogs down after the start..falls off the cam and then picks up late. Is it stick or AMT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post

Awesome, he shaved off 0.6 secs off his best time in Bbay and that too at an altitude of 1750ft (so expect him to go even quicker at the next Bbay run).

Shan2nu
I dont think its a fair comparision. The Hyd track goes downhill and then uphill and maybe has a small curve too. Of course Altitude is another factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
its alright for a competitor to perform a burnout however his vintage ego got better of him and he put the case to rest by asking "its either him (Shreyansh) or me", the officials quickly budged like nut sacs!
I have seen this happen frequently ...the oldies vs youngsters ego problem. Unfortunately the oldies are often holed up in the organisation committes and cannot see the point of view of the participants. In this case they could have given him a warning or penalty at most.

Last edited by Mpower : 20th January 2009 at 05:48.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 09:01   #278
Senior - BHPian

from the pictures - the organization looks a bit scary - there appear to be no barricades and the spectators seem to be standing right next to the strip.

Last edited by madan80 : 20th January 2009 at 09:06.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 09:16   #279
BHPian

Few more HDRs from Race day

1. Ferrari Rear ground view

2. Honda Left Front view

3. Ferrari Right Tail Lamp
Attached Thumbnails
Deccan Quartermile Drag - January 17 & 18th 2009-ferrari-rear-hdr.jpg  

Deccan Quartermile Drag - January 17 & 18th 2009-honda-s2000-hdr.jpg  

Deccan Quartermile Drag - January 17 & 18th 2009-ferrari-tail-lamp-hdr.jpg  

guyonblackybx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 09:41   #280
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen motorsports was almost dead for the past couple of years especially in Hyderabad and this event is a welcome change for the better. I do agree the organisation was very substandard but there were issues I think about sponsorship too.

Its commendable that the APMSC team went ahead and hosted the event despite the lack of a strong sponsor.

On technicalities some of you who have issues should take it up with APMSC and if need be with the apex authority too. Its good that some of you are vocal about these things, so please take it up in a civil manner and sort this out for the betterment of the sport. I would suggest however, in refraining from attacking people personally. That gets you nowhere. After all its a small world here in India when it comes to motorsport and we can do without hurt ego's and vendetta.

I really appreciate the Bangalore boys who took time out at considerable expense and came all the way and participated in such large numbers. That is wonderful and a big thank you to each one of you who came in. I know when things remain unresolved it hurts especially when the matter is not handled in a manner which gives the participant an opportunity to air his/her views.

I am confident GMR would have realised that such events are great publicity for them not to mention the booming business at Novotel and the eateries at the airport. Hopefully next time they will extend financial and logistic support in organising the event.

Its commendable that for a young outlet that Pearl Yamaha is (run by a fellow biker enthusiast) his sponsorship contribution came a long way in organising the event.

Sponsors want mileage and going by this event anyone sponsoring the next event is sure to get a lot of mileage.

So the future of motorsports may just have turned brighter following the first Deccan Quartermile Drag.

Last edited by DKG : 20th January 2009 at 09:43.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 12:12   #281
Senior - BHPian

A few pointers at my end:

1) There was better parking for visitors than participants, the world came into the paddok and had their field day

2) The rules kept changing based on convinience

3) Category participation changed based on whims and fancies but the scrutiny was good

4) Biased access to a few people to the start line

5) Rules relaxed based on how well you knew the organisers

6) Timings : ??? will not say anything more

7) Briefing: What briefing?

8) There was not one shaded place for the participants to sit

9) The world had seating place but participants were locked away in one corner and hounded like dogs when they were forced to stand at the entrance and watch

10) 1 entrance for both participants and visitors (What were they thinking)

11) Yeah there has not been an event in ages and am glad that they took the initiative to do it themselves, great. But you and me cannot hold an OSCARS better get the right people in to come in and support instead of saying there is always a next time

12) Me: They seemed more interested getting my car off the start line than helping me out... thank god the Bangalore boys were there to help even roll the car out... the only words I heard were shall I call a tow truck... India seems to forget our age old saying "atithi devo bhava" I know we are not gods but people who need help once in a while, we are human too.

13) The staging lights on the right lane were not working how did they get jump start info. FMSCI please check the timing slips and confirm if you can.

There are so many more points that I cant even explain but:

Key Learning: Stay away from small events till they mature esp if you are a out of town participant
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 12:35   #282
BHPian

Angry

Hi Ishaan and all the other ppl realted to APMSCI,

I'm really sorry to sound a bit harsh but I see real words of wisdom popping out of your mouth!

Please explain the following:

1.technical difference between a "stationary burnout and a rolling burnout". // one does warm up the tyres and what does the other do? warm the atmosphere!!//

2. When did you see me doing a rolling burnout, even if I did! What wrong did I do? I was using Slicks and in order for them to perform, I needed to do a burnout.

3. Where in the SR did it say that we were not allowed to do a burnout. In my practise run when Mazdya was at the starting line, I did a burnout and I was not questioned.

4. The cheif whatever said " go do whatever you want to do on the other side of staging are and then come in, there are people around here",

So according to him I should have done a burnout in the public area where the valentino rossi's and schumacher's were coming inside the parking are at break neck speed... and there were people who could not distinguish between a R1 and a Busa?
BTW, which people was he talking about, his relatives who were chilling at the start line!! Who got the daylights outta their head when they saw a car doing a burnout? What about the innocent people in the common are where he wanted me to do a burnout and come? There lives are of no importance is it?

5. The so called "respectable ppl of motorsports" did not know what a burnout was. After I finished my burnout and rolled my car to the staging area, the gentlemen was hitting my doors on the left and asking me "WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO... WHAT WAS THIS". Which left me dumbfounded!! I told him that I just did a burnout so that I could put some heat into my tyres!! He was like what rubbish! the tyres will get heated once you run!! How would you answer that.

6. Why wasnt the christmas tree lights on the right lane take care off, when the organisers very well knew that it malfunctioned on the very first day? Do you know how difficult it is to stage your car properly if the staging light is not functioning properly?

7. I have evidence showing that one of my friends launched his car after his competitor did and still he was informed that he did a jump start? My question is, why wasn't he informed immediately after his run? Why the delay?

Getting back to my burnout, I was waiting well behind he staging area so that once the unnecessary people at the staging area leave I could warm up my tyres, however I was hurried to the starting line as if you guys were doing me a favour by letting me do my run!

Secondly, the old guy, who was the cheif marshall or whatever! said it was dangerous driving and that there were people around the starting line!!

WOULD YOU CARE TO EXPLAIN, WHAT THE HECK WERE NON -COMPETITORS, THERE CARS AND PEOPLE NOT RELATED TO THE ORGANISERS DOING NEAR THE START LINE??? Was there a picknick that was happening??

Had those people not been there, then there would have been no question of endangering people, but those people standing and relaxing near the start line were relatives of some of the APMSC guys and were enjoying a VVIP status and chilling out!!!

Before making smart @$$ comments, please keep in mind that there are people who take a lot of pains (mentally, phisically and monetarily)to prepare their cars, take a lot of pain to reach to the venue and know something about the sport! Definitely more than what "the respected people of motorsports" know!

Just because someone is a member of the club need not necessarily mean that he/she knows everything.

A fellow competitor Keshav aka Psyco, his car was not starting, which is quite normal as these cars are drag tuned and have a lot of things which are different from a stock car, the organisers should have allowed him to do his run later once the car started, but instead, they were yelling at the competiors as will it was they who had supplied us the cars and we duped them of something.

If you dont have any competitors participating, can you hold a event in the first place?

Last but not the least, Shabbir and ppl did not ask anyone before doing a burnout, it was only after my incident did no one apart from those stalwarts dared to do a burnout!!

If my burnout was dangerous what would you say about the ferrari doing a burnout after the start line.

Please stop giving excuses, learn from the mistakes and make sure they are not repeated the next time, instead of giving "gyaan"

I WOULD END THIS BY GIVING THE QUOTE OF THE DAY // taken from the cheif marshall himself// " EITHER HE IS IN OR I AM IN".... which leaves me wondering where is the Indian motorsports,esp. events like drags heading too!!

Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishaan_1990 View Post
Dude,if you know what a burnout is then u shouldnt be talking,a stationary burnout is done to heat the tires,what your friend did was a moving one.That is not allowed.It can be done after asking the organisers,Shabbir and the others asked and once the organisers okayed it,they went ahead and did the burnout.The people who you are calling morons are respected members in the racing fraternity all over India,and a part of the APMSC not just marshalls.I agree the show was not flawless,but because such an event was planned by the APMSC after a long time,there were a few rusty cogs,I am sure these will be taken care of by the next time.Instead of being harsh critics,I think you should appreciate the efforts to run the show.I also agree we guys from hyderabad may not be the best at running a drag and you guys from bangalore may be the big bosses,but since you have come to take part just bear with us till we get better.I am sure the event wasnt that bad? i can get quite a few bangalore ppl to vouch for that if not you...

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 20th January 2009 at 12:48.
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 12:37   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
12) Me: They seemed more interested getting my car off the start line than helping me out... thank god the Bangalore boys were there to help even roll the car out... the only words I heard were shall I call a tow truck... India seems to forget our age old saying "atithi devo bhava" I know we are not gods but people who need help once in a while, we are human too.
Psycho I do have to say that most/all of your points were truly valid and have to regretfully accept the point quoted above.

We, BHPians from Hyderabad should have rallied around to help our fellow BHPians from another city with whatever sort of assistance they needed. From, my side please do accept my apologies.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 12:40   #284
BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
A few pointers at my end:

13) The staging lights on the right lane were not working how did they get jump start info. FMSCI please check the timing slips and confirm if you can.
This can be clearly seen in the F430 vS Supra video.

when I was looking at the Video I noticed that F430 took off before Supra and then it came back and the drag was started again.

Why did this happen? Was it a trial run or was F430 sent for a spin to warm up its tires?

Last edited by vinayvtec : 20th January 2009 at 12:43.
vinayvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 12:52   #285
BHPian

Raj,

I did a burnout almost a good 20 feet before the starting line.

Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Was he doing burn outs at the start line or few meters before the start line?
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote