Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 5th May 2009, 13:09   #376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
in May, that too. forget cars blowing their head gaskets, how would spectators survive the heat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
I read in an orkut community that Deccan Quarter Mile Drag race is again held on 20th and 21st.

Can any one confirm this?
Sorry for the goof-up. It is June 20th and 21st as per that orkut community.

Quote:
it's likely to happen between the 20th and 25th of June, going by the Deccan Quartermile Drag's Facebook group.
this information comes straight from Mandy, one of the organizers.
20th and 21st, I think will be the dates if it is in between 20th and 25th. Atleast it should be so as it is a weekend.

But June is mansoon time and we in hyderabad have seen how un-predictable mansoons have become. I dont think its right time to put in June. If it rains, it will be all mess.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 13:11   #377
Senior - BHPian

On the contrary June would be good for the Drag race..it will be relativly cooler
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 13:11   #378
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
it's likely to happen between the 20th and 25th of June, going by the Deccan Quartermile Drag's Facebook group.
this information comes straight from Mandy, one of the organizers.
Hmm, again wrong planning. It may turn out to be a wash-out. But, then we are suppsed to live with an optimistic mind !
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 13:16   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Hmm, again wrong planning. It may turn out to be a wash-out. But, then we are suppsed to live with an optimistic mind !
But going by the goof up which happened last time, I seriously doubt Bangalore & Mumbai folks will be interested to turn up for the event!

Can someone who knows the organizers take a copy or direct them to this thread for the last event's feedback?
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 13:59   #380
BHPian

I only hope, its better than the last attempt. No excuses of the "learning curve" story this time.
And this guy Mandy aka Mandeep Singh is one of the most rude and unruly organizer in that pack. Followed by a certain Mr Shetty and others. And if the rains come by, it will be pure hell.
Is it shamshabad again? You call that a drag strip?
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 18:49   #381
BHPian

I for one am not going to HYD!! What happened with me the last time is good enough for me to not waste my time and money.. and yeah! agree with you Joel! Is that a drag strip!!

Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
I only hope, its better than the last attempt. No excuses of the "learning curve" story this time.
And this guy Mandy aka Mandeep Singh is one of the most rude and unruly organizer in that pack. Followed by a certain Mr Shetty and others. And if the rains come by, it will be pure hell.
Is it shamshabad again? You call that a drag strip?
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 23:14   #382
BANNED

heh heh, that should be called a drag bowl.
would be interesting to see how they implement the learnings from last time.

by the way, APMSC had also organized a TSD Rally last weekend. hardly anybody turned up.

Fieroid, you are spot on with Mandy's description. he is a friend of a friend. lets just hope he is better behaved this time.

Last edited by blacmagic : 5th May 2009 at 23:16.
blacmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 09:30   #383
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen this seems to be turning out to be a case of the stockholm syndrome where the victim seems enamoured and can't let go of the tormentor !!!

Come on guys, FMSCI has an official channel for appeals, why don't you log your concerns officially and work toward improving the game in a proper manner instead of simply showing your contempt here.

Bashing the organisers won't help. You must be a part of the system and work it through. Assuming all of you had valid concerns I see no reason why you couldn't have addressed them with FMSCI?

Do please consider, and if you guys feel its not worth your time or money to officially sort this out then move on. All of us can do with a little less negativity considering we need to encourage the sport not bury it before it takes off.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 13:44   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Come on guys, FMSCI has an official channel for appeals, why don't you log your concerns officially and work toward improving the game in a proper manner instead of simply showing your contempt here.

Bashing the organisers won't help. You must be a part of the system and work it through. Assuming all of you had valid concerns I see no reason why you couldn't have addressed them with FMSCI?
Sir, do you think this really works? Well you can sweat and pump your blood if you want to get some justice, but its better you save the efforts for your own good.
I've seen enough crap inside MMSC and FMSCI. Thats another story.

@BTw, where have they put up the dates for the drag?
Old 6th May 2009, 15:42   #385
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
do you think this really works?
Sad if it doesn't. Without the enthusiast where is the sport?

I do realise a lot of incompetent people have parked themselves in these associations (wonder to what end they work) who neither understand cars nor the dynamics of organising sporting events.

Will find out the dates and post
Old 6th May 2009, 15:55   #386
DKG
Senior - BHPian

A request to all the participants who have issues with the way the past event was organised may I request a list of points you wish addressed so the same can be forwarded to Dr. Venkat Rao. I have spoken to him and requested he takes heed of all points being raised by the Bangalore team (and anyone else with suggestions too). After all the idea never is to alienate anyone.

So do please post the points list wise so I can forward the same to the man who matters

The next event should be sometime mid June
Old 6th May 2009, 18:11   #387
Senior - BHPian

List of things the organizers should look into:

1. drag strip (not a drag bowl ).
2. Christmas tree lights and timing devices working properly. Preferably the speeds and times are displayed immediately.
3. judges/marshals with out ego issues. (tough nut to crack)
4. organizers/ judges/ marshals should be equipped with the knowledge of drag racing not just racing / rallying.
5. An emcee(MC) who has knowledge about cars, bikes, drag racing and performance modifications.(some of the hyd bhpians might take-up the job)
6. Rules should be same for all, no partiality to celebrities or people with influence.
7. If possible, a separate return road.

I could think of these points for now, every one else can copy paste or edit and copy paste the above points and add their points.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 6th May 2009 at 18:13. Reason: point 7
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 18:27   #388
Team-BHP Support

oh boy Raj! Those are some decent set of points. Looks like your good ol' bike drag racing experience is coming to good use
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 19:28   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
list of points you wish addressed so the same can be forwarded to Dr. Venkat Rao.
He was the only human in the pack. If not for him, I'd ve just left that place.
It should make sense sending the pointers to him and I'm sure he'll do something.
Old 7th May 2009, 09:17   #390
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It should make sense sending the pointers to him and I'm sure he'll do something.
Doc is an old hand at organising events and I feel has the maturity to take a balanced view. I have communicated to him your concerns regarding the inappropriate behavior of other marshalls. He agreed to address it in pre-event meetings

Do add to the list so it covers all issues specific and general. That's the very least we can do, to let the organisers know where they fell short.

Seeing the commitment and passion in racers from Bangalore I for one feel its important you guys are happy with the way things are organised. So lets make an attempt to address your concerns and give it a shot.

After decades we finally have a sound sponsor in GMR. For a start they have allowed us use of that stretch of road. While it may not be suitable for drags its a start. These guys have enough vision and muscle to see through a dedicated racing circuit in the future if they see value in promoting the sport big time.

Your participation is vital, as also a two way channel between racers and organisers to iron out differences. More than me I feel some of you should pickup the phone and have a long chat with Doc. Be critical but positive, I'm sure he'll respond well.

We've had too long a dry spell in motorsports and its such a drag if things fizzle out even before they get a halfway decent chance to take off.

It won't be easy guys, you find jokers in every association, just try to sidestep some of these morons and help grow the sport.

The next event is scheduled for 20/21 st June 2009

Last edited by DKG : 7th May 2009 at 09:28.