Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 2nd February 2009, 22:20   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post

So if anyone is in a position to get some major sponsors please step forward as we can plan more events

All those rich boys who keep racing their cars can come forward with some money, I'm sure. And if people like that are involved, we can expect to see more rich boys' cars too!
f450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 23:18   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
All those rich boys who keep racing their cars can come forward with some money, I'm sure. And if people like that are involved, we can expect to see more rich boys' cars too!
Look at it this way, my friends and I are heavy car enthusiasts, and have the resources to make this happen. Even if the business case is limited, it'll be a blast and a great step for the enthusiast communities, and definately worth the investment (even for brand value).

We need to get an idea of what the best area is and what the potential user base would be. Ideally cars under 1.5L would not be allowed. Tech and safety check of the cars and a fixed fee for x amounts of runs + video etc... Sponsorships, and maybe a pro events calender would bump the value more.

Mumbai has its variables with the weather. So its pretty much out of the picture. Delhi, NCR, Bangalore, have the potential and once we get an idea of demand in each area, we may get rolling on this... The investment required is not too steep.

What I need also is to figure out the indian govt regulations around such things, which can be a huge mess.

Worst case, it'll be our private dragstrip limited to family n friends.. :-)

Last edited by aah78 : 4th February 2009 at 05:23. Reason: No political discussions please.
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 23:38   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Hi all,

If not, me and some of my investment banker friends are looking into starting a motorsports area in india. It'll begin with a simple drag strip (1/4 mile) with staging area and tech shops. Eventually develop into a modding facility with tuners, dynos, parts shops etc... and finally depending on the demand, a full race track.
Go through this topic. HPP is considering a similar model in Hyderabad and Gonecase is considering an offroad track for Mumbai. I'm glad to see interest in this sector picking up.
f450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 00:44   #79
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
Look at it this way, my friends and I are heavy car enthusiasts, and have the resources to make this happen. Even if the business case is limited, it'll be a blast and a great step for the enthusiast communities, and definately worth the investment (even for brand value).

We need to get an idea of what the best area is and what the potential user base would be. Ideally cars under 1.5L would not be allowed. Tech and safety check of the cars and a fixed fee for x amounts of runs + video etc... Sponsorships, and maybe a pro events calender would bump the value more.

Mumbai has its variables with the weather and the shiv sena nut jobs, and the underworld nonsense. So its pretty much out of the picture. Delhi, NCR, Bangalore, have the potential and once we get an idea of demand in each area, we may get rolling on this... The investment required is not too steep.

What I need also is to figure out the indian govt regulations around such things, which can be a huge mess.

Worst case, it'll be our private dragstrip limited to family n friends.. :-)
If you have an interest in doing this on the outskirts of HYD, let me know, maybe we can work together. That is where I have the most resources to pull something like this off..
HPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 01:24   #80
BHPian

How is the car scene near hyd? I'd prefer a more metro car savvy area with 'rich' kids n business owners like bnglore and Delhi NCR, chandigar etc.
Old 4th February 2009, 04:45   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ideally cars under 1.5L would not be allowed.
Your enthusiasm is good, but I don't understand why you say this. What has the cost of the car got to do with entry?
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 08:05   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Your enthusiasm is good, but I don't understand why you say this. What has the cost of the car got to do with entry?
Not 1.5Laks.. i meant engine capacity of 1500cc.. You see sub 1500cc cars are not meant for 'enthusiastic' driving.. they are primarily designed as people carriers, and safety becomes a concern on the tracks as they are not stable at high speeds and their chassis isnt very 'impact' resistant...

The track I go to here banned sub 2.0L cars after a series of accidents...
Old 4th February 2009, 08:17   #83
Senior - BHPian

Is it the cost or engine capacity he is referring too?

In either case, yes why do you say so?

If it is engine capacity? buddy we would loose a whole bunch of cars - zen, e-zen, esteem, swift(incidentally all are suzuki!) and oh! padminis too.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 11:03   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Is it the cost or engine capacity he is referring too?

In either case, yes why do you say so?

If it is engine capacity? buddy we would loose a whole bunch of cars - zen, e-zen, esteem, swift(incidentally all are suzuki!) and oh! padminis too.
very true...
Because then most of your hatchbacks will be out of question, and due to that you will get lesser participation.
Also in india cars with higher engine capacity is not that widely preffered choice.
If you go ahead with the sub 1.5L ban, you will only see the >8L cars which is not currently the mass market.
gonecase_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 21:17   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not 1.5Laks.. i meant engine capacity of 1500cc.. You see sub 1500cc cars are not meant for 'enthusiastic' driving.. they are primarily designed as people carriers, and safety becomes a concern on the tracks as they are not stable at high speeds and their chassis isnt very 'impact' resistant...

I can tell you right now, that's not gonna work. Most cars people race or are willing to race in India are all sub-1.5L vehicles.

If you want to see what 1600 boosted cubes can do, you're welcome to check out my turbo miata. I can spank 350Z's and WRX's on the track all day long without breaking a sweat. Boosted SOHC honda's of 1.5L capacity are in the 9's and 10's at most import events.

Which track is this you're talking about?
Old 4th February 2009, 21:48   #86
BHPian

Please care to tell! Which track are you talking about?

I have never heard of any track where cars are banned in the way you have mentioned!! If the car has all the safety measures and if it is a track day or a pay and practise, I really dont see a reason why cars wouldnt be allowed!!

Shrey

Quote:

ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 10:44   #87
BHPian

Smile

if they ban small engined cars in track days abroad - what about people who have small lotus cars or turbo minis or abarthized fiat 500s, not to mention all those awesome track cars built by small racing companies - most of them have small turbo'd engines and really light (yet strong) chasis.
I am guessing in the US, where bigger is better, this may work, but not in Europe and certainly not in India
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 00:10   #88
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
How is the car scene near hyd? I'd prefer a more metro car savvy area with 'rich' kids n business owners like bnglore and Delhi NCR, chandigar etc.
The scene in HYD is pretty good and getting better. All the types of customers you are talking about are there, and the city is underrated in comparison to Bangalore, Bombay, Delhi etc. Those are the better known, but having traveled to most of those fairly recently, in my opinion, HYD is the one that has advanced the most in the last 5 years and is moving in a direction that a motor sports complex could compliment well.

To the comments about banning cars below a certain engine size. Not a chance at my business. I know first hand that tiny engines can make insane HP numbers when modified properly(not to mention the % of the market you are cutting out in India like others have mentioned). If the worries are chassis or safety related, then you have to incorporate certain safety standards and safety checks into your "tech inspection" that has to happen to every single car that is planning to run on the track. I haven't heard of this kind of banning in the US, but any track doing so is short/small sighted/closed minded and is only hurting their business in doing so.

PS: Sorry for disappearing for a few days, I had ACL replacement surgery on Tuesday and am in the recovery and physical therapy stages..

Last edited by HPP : 8th February 2009 at 00:12.
Old 8th February 2009, 08:31   #89
Senior - BHPian

The people in Hyderabad who are serious about racing, well, drive a short distance to Sriperumbudur anyway. Sure, they wouldnt mind a track closer to home, but who wouldn't?

The point is, you are better off looking at a location somewhere close to Hyd, Bangalore and Bombay, the latter two possibly containing the largest proportion of your target demographic. That would suggest a location in either Northern Karnataka or Southern Maharashtra, somewhere along NH4. Lots of cheap land in those areas last time I asked around.

And forgive me I havent read the entire thread, but just a dragstrip really? I think it makes more sense to have both a strip and full-scale roadracing track. The main straight could serve as the strip. Look at Waterford Hills, which is our hometrack. Its a small roadracing track in SE Michigan, prime example of how optimum use of small acreage can be made.
Old 8th February 2009, 09:13   #90
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
The people in Hyderabad who are serious about racing, well, drive a short distance to Sriperumbudur anyway. Sure, they wouldnt mind a track closer to home, but who wouldn't?

The point is, you are better off looking at a location somewhere close to Hyd, Bangalore and Bombay, the latter two possibly containing the largest proportion of your target demographic. That would suggest a location in either Northern Karnataka or Southern Maharashtra, somewhere along NH4. Lots of cheap land in those areas last time I asked around.

And forgive me I havent read the entire thread, but just a dragstrip really? I think it makes more sense to have both a strip and full-scale roadracing track. The main straight could serve as the strip. Look at Waterford Hills, which is our hometrack. Its a small roadracing track in SE Michigan, prime example of how optimum use of small acreage can be made.
Please read the thread. Everything from your post is covered and a lot more. This is also covered.. but a full road course is the goal, with the 1/4 mile track being much easier to implement quickly/early on.