Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2009, 12:52   #46
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,861
Thanked: 2,398 Times
Default

Quote:
With a swift's fuel tank of fiberglass
Are you sure? The last I knew it was metal.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 20:08   #47
BHPian
 
NomadVagabond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dilli Meri Jaan
Posts: 75
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Anirban,

Can you PM me your number? Wanted to figure somethings out.

With a swift's fuel tank of fiberglass - I have no faith - hence want protection
Will do it as soon as I get back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyammg View Post
Hi Anirban, Regarding the auxillary tank, I made the terrible mistake of fixing it in the cabin, could not use it at all since it produced a lot of fumes (Although I had vented it to the outside of the vehicle). Actually the roof is the best place, if a hardtop, although it looks kind of funny and is difficult to fill up!! Else get the Rally Half Cabin and its easy to locate the tank in the bed.
Yes the auxiliary tank inside the cabin is a big no no because of the same reason and also since me and most of my pals smoke it's another hazard to keep 30-40 ltrs of petrol with a burning fuse always around.

I am getting a Rally cabin done as soon as I get the gypsy delivered. So that's not an issue. But, at the same time I don't want to spoil the rear bed with the tank in there. I'm going to get a metal lockable cover made for that too so that I can lug around my camping gear in there and not worry about people flicking them out. Hence the tank has only one space left that's the underbody. Will have the A/C condenser there too so need to know how much space will I be having to work around with. You might check out Gotzuk's gypsy photographs to get an idea of what I am having in mind to do with the rear section of the gypsy. He'll be helping me out with the rear cover.

The immediate changes/modifications on the checklist are:

1) Chuck the standard tyres and put in 215 T/A B.F Goodrich.
2) Rally cabin preferably fiberglass but yet not decided on the material.
3) Better heat and noise insulation on both the firewall, floor and roof.
4) Rear lockable cover with the spare tyre mount on it.

More will come in as things go on. But, right now these are on priority.

Regards,

Anirban.
NomadVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 20:31   #48
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sudev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,435
Thanked: 1,914 Times
Default

IMHO the original 40ltrs tank is good enough....
Anirbhan you need to fill up in time though ;-) Putting additional tank below would not be feasible as mid section of Gypsy has the propeller shaft etc. - unless you can make a saddle type tank like new GV's

Again IMHO you do not need any special brake fluid unless participating in extreme. Just tender loving care of the car and you are home.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 21:26   #49
BHPian
 
NomadVagabond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dilli Meri Jaan
Posts: 75
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
IMHO the original 40ltrs tank is good enough....
Anirbhan you need to fill up in time though ;-) Putting additional tank below would not be feasible as mid section of Gypsy has the propeller shaft etc. - unless you can make a saddle type tank like new GV's
Yes sir I reckon that now. Specially since the last time when you had to bail us out during DS.

Regarding the saddle type tank. Sir, could you give some inputs regarding that? I believe someone has successfully done an under body aux tank for a gypsy in Kerala. That's the reason I was interested in doing that and besides that it will also save a lot of space in the rear.

Regards,

Anirban.
NomadVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 22:50   #50
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,581
Thanked: 3,242 Times
Default

Techno, the car is almost 20k - I always make it a point to get the underbody well washed and walk under it during service to inspect it.

Trust me it is the kinda fiberglass that inspires anything but confidence. Mid july it will complete 20k, and will get aluminium underbody protection.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 11:58   #51
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,861
Thanked: 2,398 Times
Default

Oh somehow I remember that they had changed from a Fiber tank in International models to metal ones for India.. Anyways thanks, I stand corrected
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 21:53   #52
BHPian
 
RedMM340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: on the move
Posts: 459
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post
Will do it as soon as I get back home.



Yes the auxiliary tank inside the cabin is a big no no because of the same reason and also since me and most of my pals smoke it's another hazard to keep 30-40 ltrs of petrol with a burning fuse always around.

I am getting a Rally cabin done as soon as I get the gypsy delivered. So that's not an issue. But, at the same time I don't want to spoil the rear bed with the tank in there. I'm going to get a metal lockable cover made for that too so that I can lug around my camping gear in there and not worry about people flicking them out. Hence the tank has only one space left that's the underbody. Will have the A/C condenser there too so need to know how much space will I be having to work around with. You might check out Gotzuk's gypsy photographs to get an idea of what I am having in mind to do with the rear section of the gypsy. He'll be helping me out with the rear cover.

The immediate changes/modifications on the checklist are:

1) Chuck the standard tyres and put in 215 T/A B.F Goodrich.
2) Rally cabin preferably fiberglass but yet not decided on the material.
3) Better heat and noise insulation on both the firewall, floor and roof.
4) Rear lockable cover with the spare tyre mount on it.

More will come in as things go on. But, right now these are on priority.

Regards,

Anirban.
Hi Anirban,

I am also preping a vehicle for the Raid. Can you tell me who is doing your roll cage? I need a good bender/fabricator to do some work for me.

Thanks!

Gaurav
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 22:07   #53
BHPian
 
NomadVagabond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dilli Meri Jaan
Posts: 75
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Hi Anirban,

I am also preping a vehicle for the Raid. Can you tell me who is doing your roll cage? I need a good bender/fabricator to do some work for me.

Thanks!

Gaurav
Hello Gaurav,

Well I'm not getting a roll cage made. But, the best roll cages you can get made if you are near north India will have to be from Mr. Raj Kapoor at Performance Auto. I'm getting my rally cabin made from him. He's had many many years of experience regarding roll cages. You can check the workshop details at http://performanceauto.in Hope that helps.

Regards,

Anirban.
NomadVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 22:14   #54
BHPian
 
RedMM340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: on the move
Posts: 459
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post
Hello Gaurav,

Well I'm not getting a roll cage made. But, the best roll cages you can get made if you are near north India will have to be from Mr. Raj Kapoor at Performance Auto. I'm getting my rally cabin made from him. He's had many many years of experience regarding roll cages. You can check the workshop details at http://performanceauto.in Hope that helps.

Regards,

Anirban.
Hi Anirban,
Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I know Raj Kapoor well, and he does good work. But all the tube bending is done by someone else in the NCR that all the tuners use. I am trying to find the source of the tube bending.

But I would suggest that you do go in for a roll cage in your Gypsy. It is a good safety upgrade, and looks a bit more extreme.

Hope to see you at the Raid.

Regards,
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 22:32   #55
BHPian
 
NomadVagabond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dilli Meri Jaan
Posts: 75
Thanked: Once
Default

Your most welcome Gaurav, Well I'm not competing. I'm going as official so I don't need that roll cage for that purpose. Yes we definitely will meet there

Regards,

Anirban.
NomadVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 22:12   #56
BHPian
 
vinayrathore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: DL-9C/KA-01
Posts: 516
Thanked: 300 Times
Default

I am back guys!!

Was traveling for living all this time. Been at Germany and Swiss for more than half of my absence but that's a different story and deserves a separate thread.

Meanwhile, the esteem is undergoing a complete mechanical makeover. Its been 2 weeks that the vehicle is at the workshop. We have had (the word 'had' is a bit difficult for us too but we had no choice) checked every part of the vehicle. Engine, transmission, suspension, steering, brakes etc. everything is being overhauled.

Will post details when I get to the workshop tomorrow.

But I also feel as the time is nearing, this thread is loosing its charm! I don't think we are the only ones who are excited. Does anyone agree with me?

Cheers!!
vinayrathore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 17:29   #57
BHPian
 
vinayrathore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: DL-9C/KA-01
Posts: 516
Thanked: 300 Times
Default

Raidupdate:

A formal press conference was organized today at Maurya Shereton New Delhi by Himalayan Motor sport Association(HMA) and Maruti Suzuki to promote this year's Raid de Himalaya. Mr. Vijay Parmar, President HMA presided over and answered questions from the Press. Few slides and information was given. All the participants from Delhi were phoned yesterday about the event. Though I was not able to make it, Saurabh, my raidmate, was there for some time. It was thrilling to watch the clips from the past Raids according to him. Imagine what it will be to be a part of it!

We are all set for the Raid and will leave for Shimla on Friday. Have ordered the Snowchains and the underbody at HMA and will have to reach a day or two early to get them fitted. And yes, we are number 58 in Adventure Trial.

See you there!

Last edited by vinayrathore : 30th September 2009 at 17:32.
vinayrathore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 18:53   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Raidupdate:

A formal press conference was organized today at Maurya Shereton New Delhi by Himalayan Motor sport Association(HMA) and Maruti Suzuki to promote this year's Raid de Himalaya. Mr. Vijay Parmar, President HMA presided over and answered questions from the Press. Few slides and information was given. All the participants from Delhi were phoned yesterday about the event. Though I was not able to make it, Saurabh, my raidmate, was there for some time. It was thrilling to watch the clips from the past Raids according to him. Imagine what it will be to be a part of it!

We are all set for the Raid and will leave for Shimla on Friday. Have ordered the Snowchains and the underbody at HMA and will have to reach a day or two early to get them fitted. And yes, we are number 58 in Adventure Trial.

See you there!
All the best for the Raid. Please post all the changes that your ride has gone through for the Raid. Are you doing the TSD format Endurance or going on the Extreme ?

On our way back from leh met two folks "Sidhu and Anil" from Army Adventure practising from in their Gypsy for the Extreme version.

Having done the preparatory course in off road driving during my Ladakh Trip this year, hope be on the Raid next year.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 20:57   #59
BHPian
 
rishi_kapoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Greater Noida
Posts: 407
Thanked: 280 Times
Default

Vinay, see you in Shimla. Finally the car is ready (tyres are being closed tomorrow though). i am planning to be in Shimla on either friday or saturday.
rishi_kapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 07:51   #60
BHPian
 
vinayrathore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: DL-9C/KA-01
Posts: 516
Thanked: 300 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
All the best for the Raid. Please post all the changes that your ride has gone through for the Raid. Are you doing the TSD format Endurance or going on the Extreme ?

On our way back from leh met two folks "Sidhu and Anil" from Army Adventure practising from in their Gypsy for the Extreme version.

Having done the preparatory course in off road driving during my Ladakh Trip this year, hope be on the Raid next year.
Thanks MileCruncher!! We need your wishes alot. This years its the toughest conditions in terms of roads (or lack of them) I hear.

This year being our first, we are doing the Adventure trial, the TSD version of the RDH. And ya, the extreme contestants are practising for a month now as they have been given the routing information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Vinay, see you in Shimla. Finally the car is ready (tyres are being closed tomorrow though). i am planning to be in Shimla on either friday or saturday.
Sure Rishi! See you there
vinayrathore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raid The Himalaya 07 sanket12 Indian Motorsport 15 20th January 2006 21:24
Raid-de- Himalaya '05 ! khaadu75 Indian Motorsport 1 24th September 2005 16:54
Raid-de-Himalaya '04 khaadu75 Indian Motorsport 4 21st October 2004 15:36
Raid de Himalaya '04 khaadu75 Indian Motorsport 5 15th October 2004 12:33
RAID-DE-HIMALAYA '04 khaadu75 Indian Motorsport 9 19th June 2004 14:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks