Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2009, 12:37   #1
BHPian
 
vinayrathore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: DL-9C/KA-01
Posts: 516
Thanked: 300 Times
Default Raid de Himalaya 2009

Guys! The dates for the 11th Raid de Himalaya has been announced. This year too it will run two versions, concurrently, as in the last five years namely, X-Treme and the Adventure Trial.

Details can be had at H* I* M* A* L* A* Y* A* N*** M* O* T* O* R* S* P* O* R* T


We have a whole lot of experienced raiders on our community. Where are you guys?? Kindly share your thoughts and ideas for lesser mortals like yours truly and enlighten us.


Since its the first time for me, I am preparing an Esteem VXi for the Adventure trial version. Just finishing all the paper work and hope to submit the entry this week itself. (and take the early entry benefit )

Request all you experienced lot to guide me and others who are novices in the rally world on what all to take care while preparing the car. Since this time its under Adventure trial category, I am saving on roll cage and other stuff that normally Xtreme cars have. However, still, what all do I do to prepare the car.

As for the car, it's a stock 2006 Esteem VXi done around a Lac Kms.

Kindly guide!

Last edited by vinayrathore : 5th May 2009 at 12:38.
vinayrathore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 14:05   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
khan_sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,631
Thanked: 2,947 Times
Default

Best of luck buddy. I think for the 'Adventure' category, NO mods to engine, transmission, driveline are allowed. However, you ca raise the vehicles height by a max of 2".

Actually all what you need to do is mentioned in the raid's website/FAQ's itself. The best place for raid specific advise.

Apart from that I am sure people who have done the raid before will chip in with their inputs here.

PS: I would suggest that you get the documentation done ASAP. Competition licenses/insurance etc etc. That 'can' take a lot of time


PPS: Any one from Bangalore interested in taking part??? Would cost ~75K / person for the 'X-terme' category and would involve taking leave between 5th - 13th Oct.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th May 2009 at 14:36.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 14:50   #3
BHPian
 
vinayrathore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: DL-9C/KA-01
Posts: 516
Thanked: 300 Times
Default Raid de Himalaya 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Best of luck buddy. I think for the 'Adventure' category, NO mods to engine, transmission, driveline are allowed. However, you ca raise the vehicles height by a max of 2".

Actually all what you need to do is mentioned in the raid's website/FAQ's itself. The best place for raid specific advise.

Apart from that I am sure people who have done the raid before will chip in with their inputs here.

PS: I would suggest that you get the documentation done ASAP. Competition licenses/insurance etc etc. That 'can' take a lot of time


PPS: Any one from Bangalore interested in taking part??? Would cost ~75K / person for the 'X-terme' category and would involve taking leave between 5th - 13th Oct.
Thanks for the inputs Khan!

Are'nt you thinking of testing your 'Gypsy on Steroids' in the raid? It will be a great test for your ride. Do let me know if you are.

Actually we have gone through all these and also have talked at length with Manjeev and Vaibhav (gotzuk) about the preparations. What we are not sure about is the stuff we need to carry in terms of spares and accessories. Has anyone made a checklist sort of a thing that mentions all the vulnerable parts, tools etc. Like a list for all the spares for the suspension that may fail during the raid.

Also the esteem we will use has been running on CNG for the past 40k or so Kms. We will be taking out the kit though. Will it have any effect on the engine? Will the engine be able to take on the poundings that will be thown on it?

The paper work is almost complete baring the FMSCI licenses which we are expecting by next week.

People, do post who ever is thinking about the Raid. We can participate as a team as well. What say?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th May 2009 at 14:54. Reason: fixed quote
vinayrathore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 13:07   #4
BHPian
 
rishi_kapoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Greater Noida
Posts: 407
Thanked: 280 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Thanks for the inputs Khan!

Are'nt you thinking of testing your 'Gypsy on Steroids' in the raid? It will be a great test for your ride. Do let me know if you are.

Actually we have gone through all these and also have talked at length with Manjeev and Vaibhav (gotzuk) about the preparations. What we are not sure about is the stuff we need to carry in terms of spares and accessories. Has anyone made a checklist sort of a thing that mentions all the vulnerable parts, tools etc. Like a list for all the spares for the suspension that may fail during the raid.

Also the esteem we will use has been running on CNG for the past 40k or so Kms. We will be taking out the kit though. Will it have any effect on the engine? Will the engine be able to take on the poundings that will be thown on it?

The paper work is almost complete baring the FMSCI licenses which we are expecting by next week.

People, do post who ever is thinking about the Raid. We can participate as a team as well. What say?

Dude you are really fast

Who else is participating from our TBHP community in raid this year. I know at least one more, but the name is under cover for sometime on request.
rishi_kapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 17:52   #5
BHPian
 
santsharan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 69
Thanked: Once
Default

ATB VinayRathore. Please keep us posted on the developements and please do carry a camera along with you. Pics from the scene would be appreciated.

This thread really interests me as I have been staying in Chandigarh for the last 2 years haven't had any enlightenment to participate in any such thing.

Will try to visualize and live the thrills through this thread. Guys please keep on posting your experiences and plans.
santsharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 22:08   #6
BHPian
 
vinayrathore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: DL-9C/KA-01
Posts: 516
Thanked: 300 Times
Default

Documentation done! Entry sent! Waiting for the acknowledgment from HMA. FMSCI Licenses Applied for!

Preparing ourselves and the car is another story though!

Will keep posted guys.

Also SatSharan, dont worry, we are planning to mount a handycam between the seats right behind us and a still camera too separately.
vinayrathore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 10:59   #7
BHPian
 
santsharan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 69
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Documentation done! Entry sent! Waiting for the acknowledgment from HMA. FMSCI Licenses Applied for!

Preparing ourselves and the car is another story though!

Will keep posted guys.

Also SatSharan, dont worry, we are planning to mount a handycam between the seats right behind us and a still camera too separately.
Can't wait to see the pictures and videos. Hope you guys are also covering up the preparation of the car with your cameras.
santsharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 11:20   #8
BHPian
 
vinayrathore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: DL-9C/KA-01
Posts: 516
Thanked: 300 Times
Default Raid de Himalaya 09: The Journey Begins!

Made it to Early Entrants list announced on the Raid Web Site!

Team:

1. Saurabh Basrar
2. Vinay Rathore
3. Maruti Suzuki Esteem
vinayrathore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 11:22   #9
BHPian
 
sj_koova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 576
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

All the best Vinay
Expecting lots of pics and good news from you.
sj_koova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 11:32   #10
BHPian
 
mnhegde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B E N G A L U R U
Posts: 473
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Wish you all the best vinay (and team). Expecting good news from you. And do post lots of pics.

@khan bhai: Are you participating?? would love to see the "GYPSY on Steroids" in HIMALAYAS .
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 17:39   #11
BHPian
 
santsharan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 69
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Made it to Early Entrants list announced on the Raid Web Site!

Team:

1. Saurabh Basrar
2. Vinay Rathore
3. Maruti Suzuki Esteem
Is the team member no 3 ready for the thrill? Would love to see the pics of this car ready to race.
santsharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 19:39   #12
BHPian
 
rishi_kapoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Greater Noida
Posts: 407
Thanked: 280 Times
Thumbs up Hurray!!

I too made it to early entrant list
rishi_kapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 19:43   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sudev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,434
Thanked: 1,912 Times
Default

Why not read up the las years threads? Lot of Gyaan there.
sudev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 20:08   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default

sudev, you involved with the R D H this year?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 20:13   #15
BHPian
 
Sideways's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Madras - India
Posts: 641
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Congrats and all the best, Just make sure, you have adequate under body protection for your car.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raid The Himalaya 07 sanket12 Indian Motorsport 15 20th January 2006 21:24
Raid-de- Himalaya '05 ! khaadu75 Indian Motorsport 1 24th September 2005 16:54
Raid-de-Himalaya '04 khaadu75 Indian Motorsport 4 21st October 2004 15:36
Raid de Himalaya '04 khaadu75 Indian Motorsport 5 15th October 2004 12:33
RAID-DE-HIMALAYA '04 khaadu75 Indian Motorsport 9 19th June 2004 14:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks