Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 31st October 2009, 06:30   #1
BHPian

Default Preparing a stock car for TSD endurance rallying

Guys
There is hell of a lot information on the rallies, speed runs etc happening in and around the country. But I didn't find any thread informing us about what are the do's and don't's for rallies like Raid and Desert.
Yes, I know there are guidelines given in the site and then there is motorsport.in and FMSCI etc etc but how about a TEAM-BHP guide and trouble shooters for all the rally enthusiasts.
I have seen M800's in Raid and Desert. I need all the information about taking my santro up there. Not only me I think many of us would want to do the same.
So guide us motogurus.

PS: Mods if threads already does exist then please dot eh needful.

Godspeed
vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 09:06   #2
BANNED

Exclamation A Long and Difficult Road Ahead

Please PM me.

I will guide you a bit if you want to enter at a Professional Level. Professional Level needs Rollcage.

If you are entering a class that does not need a Rollcage then go and do it.
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 16:35   #3
BHPian

Thanks a Lot supercars. Though I'll PM you but I wanted to share the knowledge with everybody.
Old 31st October 2009, 19:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars
If you are entering a class that does not need a Rollcage then go and do it.
How can one even think there can be a class that won't need a rollcage?

Personally, I feel even non-competitive, track day cars need to be cage'd for the most important aspect of racing - SAFETY!
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 20:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Supercars, why don't you share the information publicly. I'm sure it would benefit quite a few members who would be thinking along the same lines.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 21:34   #6
BHPian

lots of info on Rally India - Welcome to the Home of Indian Rallying | Home | Rally India but to add to this thread, there are few tuners in india who know the full requirements of buidling a rally car to spec. some of them are - Chettinad, Kari Sports, RRP, Kumci, FRK, Ideal
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 21:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

When ACI and other mags did the Raid, didn't they do it in stock cars? Perhaps the OP could elaborate on which event he is going to participate in?
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 00:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
When ACI and other mags did the Raid, didn't they do it in stock cars? Perhaps the OP could elaborate on which event he is going to participate in?
They did the Raid in the adventure category which is in the TSD format using stock cars lent by Maruti.

Please don't call that Rallying.
Old 1st November 2009, 07:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
They did the Raid in the adventure category which is in the TSD format using stock cars lent by Maruti.

Please don't call that Rallying.
I agree with you nitrous that TSD format cannot be called Rallying but for amateurs that is the only way to get their feet wet.

I intend to participate in the Raid in 2010 in the adventure category. Even though the category doesn't require roll-cage et al, it does require underbody sump protection, fuel tank protection etc apart from carrying two spare tyres, minimum tread depth of 4mm, if not more.

This is the basic info that I have been able to garner and would definitely like some more additions to it.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 07:40   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

@All: Those who feel TSD is not rallying then think again. It is a motorsport with different target objectives to be achieved. The speed - though low are difficult in many cases. For endurance events like Desert Storm or Raid it is best to do it in TSD format the first year and then go in Xtreme class next year.

Now if you are talking rallying as in championship event the first thing even before roll cage is car's homologation. That restricts the choice of vehicles you can take. Santro is not homologated and so with Swift.

Some events, including two mentioned, allow all vehicles as prototypes and that is why all cars can be entered.

So before you go off modifying your car be clear about what sort of rallying you want to do. And this will also determine modifications that need to be done.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 09:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

+1 to @sudev
Regularity rally - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Regularity rallying, also known as TSD rallying (Time Speed Distance), is a form of motor sport usually conducted on public roads but sometimes including off-road and track sections. The object of these rallies is to maintain precise times and precise average speeds on various segments of a predefined route. Each team usually consists of an amateur driver and navigator. Teams usually start a regularity rally at fixed intervals creating a field that is spread along the route.
So a TSD rally is as much of a rally format as a staged event.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 10:06   #12
BHPian

Default Rollcages

Gurus
The explore more in Raid or desert says clearly it for stock cars only with no modifications as the max speed we'd need to go would be 50-60 and probably the only modification which they suggest is a sump guard and fuel tank guard.
correct me if I'm Wrong
Old 1st November 2009, 14:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@All: Those who feel TSD is not rallying then think again. It is a motorsport with different target objectives to be achieved. The speed - though low are difficult in many cases. For endurance events like Desert Storm or Raid it is best to do it in TSD format the first year and then go in Xtreme class next year.
Agreed.
I do know how difficult an avg of 30kph is in the Raid.

@vampire: Please be precise. If its the raid or Desert strorm you're talking about, its called 'endurance rally'.
Old 1st November 2009, 16:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Agreed.
I do know how difficult an avg of 30kph is in the Raid.
An average of 30kph is still doable but as I understand the avg speed is always between 40-45kph. This is what breaks cars.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote