Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 10th March 2010, 23:47   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Saurabh da, Love the Love Cars Live Cars Sticker in the last pic.

how about a thread on the Telegraph rally?
Thanks. There's not much to post about the Telegraph rally. Dont even have any pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
NO pictures of cars in action but I have a lot of videos which I will post as soon I learn how to do so here.
Upload the videos on Youtube and post the links here. That should work.

My contributions are not yet over . Have some shots around Thimpu and then a few more from our return journey.
Saurabh M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 00:15   #152
BHPian

Default Feb 7 - Thimpu - Prize Distribution

Feb 7 - Thimpu

Last night, most of the participants were busy calculating their penalty points and speculating about the probable winners. These sort of anxiety and discussions were new to me, so I was keenly observing them and trying to learn something from their discussions.

Today, we have an invitation to the Indian High Commission at Thimpu, for breakfast. All cars are to go in a convoy and reach the High Commission at 10am. I did not take my car out as I was having an engine heating problem due to a failed thermostat switch. It had not been fixed yet. I hitched a ride in another car and reached the High Commission. The complex is spread over a huge area amidst spectacular setting. The breakfast was arranged at one corner of the golf course.

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2070090-large.jpg

View on the way back to the hotel
3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2070098-large.jpg

We spent an hour there and return back to our hotel. The results were to be declared at 3pm and there was a subdued tension hanging around. Being first timers, we had nothing to lose. We have been able to finish the rally and have achieved our initial target. All these experiences over the last 3 days have been a great value add to us.

The prize distribution ceremony has been arranged at the clock tower complex in Thimpu. The stage was being setup.

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2060084-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2070103-large.jpg

Waiting for the monarchy
3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2070105-large.jpg

I left the hotel and went out for a walk around the town.

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2060088-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2060086-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2060083-large.jpg

By the time it was 3pm, everybody has gathered around the hotel where the organizers were put up. Finally the results were out.

1st position has been taken by Arindam Ghosh and Somdev Chanda (Car #1 - Esteem)
2nd position by Soham Hazra and Amit Ghosh (Car #4 - Esteem)
3rd position by Vikash Toshniwal and Nirav Mehta (Car #7 - Gypsy)
4th position by Swagata Ghosh and S Hazra (Car #10 - Esteem)
5th position by Sk Ajgar Ali and Debasish Ghosh (Car #3 - Esteem)
6th position by Jogendra Jaiswal and Basudev Ghosh (Car #6 - Esteem)

The rest of the positions did not matter. We have come 15th in the overall standings and 14th among Indian drivers. There was great jubilation among the top rankers.

The prize distribution ceremony started at 6pm at the clock tower. The dignitaries included the King of Bhutan and top ranking officials from both the countries.

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2070112-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2070124-large.jpg

There was a live band from Kolkata who performed after the prize distribution ceremony. The celebrations have started in our hotels and the winners were celebrating a well deserved victory. That night there was another party thrown by the organizers which went on till 10:30pm in the night.

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2070100-large.jpg

We returned to our hotels late with the plan to leave Thimpu early next morning.
Old 17th March 2010, 13:19   #153
Senior - BHPian

@Saurabh just a little correction. Was the King really there? I think it was the PM of Bhutan who was there.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 14:09   #154
BHPian

My Bad. Sorry. You are right Wanderer. It was indeed the PM and not the King.

BTW, did you find out a way to upload the videos? Very eager to see them.
Old 18th March 2010, 15:54   #155
BHPian

Default Feb 8 - Thimpu - Siliguri

Feb 8 - Thimpu - Siliguri

Last night, the party went on till late hours. I reached my hotel room late and packed my bags. The idea was to leave Thimpu latest by 8am. The thermostat switch of my car could not be repaired, as Esteem is not a popular model in Bhutan and spares were not available. This meant that I will have to keep switching on the direct fan at regular intervals, to keep the engine cool.

We started our journey back to Siliguri by 8:30am, after having a rather expensive and mediocre breakfast at the hotel. The road that takes you out from Thimpu is a 4 lane highway for a few kms, then turns into a dual carriageway with moderate surface quality, then into a single lane road and finally a dirt track that stretches for atleast 50kms.

We stopped in between quite a few times for photo breaks, to catch up with other cars and for stretching our legs. After a rather long drive, we reached Phuntshoeling around 2pm, and then onward to Siliguri. We finally checked in at Siliguri at 7pm.

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2070128-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2070129-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2070132-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2070135-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2070136-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2070137-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2070138-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2070139-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2080141-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2080145-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2080148-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2080149-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2080150-large.jpg

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2080152-large.jpg

The broken roads that never seemed to end
3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2080153-large.jpg

Before signing off, a very big thank you to all of you who provided me and NOS the much needed encouragement and support to go through this. Thanks to @Johy for being there at Siliguri and seeing us off and @Wanderernomad for your company and support. Thanks to Calcutta Motors (Joydeb-da) for tuning our car and to the service team, who were out there in the cold at -3deg C in the middle of the night, without food, servicing the cars and making sure that they are fit to take on the beating for the next leg.

Thinking back, the whole initiative was probably for this sole purpose:

INDO BHUTAN FRIENDSHIP
3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-p2070111-large.jpg
Old 14th April 2010, 14:31   #156
Senior - BHPian

Since Saurabh has already brought you back from Bhutan Ill take you back once again through the same route but from a different perspective. At the Time Control, the first car hit us around 8 Am and thereafter it was a hectic and frantic pace as the cars came one after another and at times even bunched together. Here are some of the videos of cars hitting our TC on day 1. But the first Videos are the route to the TC and the setting up of the TC on Day 1.
As it is taking a lot of time to upload the car videos will be in my next post.

Route to the TC

Setting up of TC

Last edited by wanderernomad : 14th April 2010 at 14:38.
Old 14th April 2010, 15:31   #157
Senior - BHPian

In the 2nd video above the rope is being set across the road and the time recorded is the time the front wheels of the car cross the rope. The signage on the left is the TC marker and the banner being slung across the bushes on the far left is the sponsor advt. Typically a TC has 3 men crew. One to call a hit, second to call the timing, and the third to record the timing on the TC sheet of the driver/navigator. Here there are 4 as additional help would be required to film the video as well as the fact that 2 were first timers.
Here is the video of the first 2 cars hitting the TC.

A typical rally stop with the wheels locked. It generally happens when the driver/navigator fail to sight the TC on time.

Another example when the cars come together. It happens when either the lead driver is slow or the following driver is faster than the prescribed speed. Here the second driver noticed the TC slightly late and had just about enough space on the right shoulder to skid to a stop alongside the first car and then he is impatient to move up as well perhaps in the wrong notion that he is on time while the lead driver is slow.
Old 14th April 2010, 20:53   #158
Senior - BHPian

Continuing the same way we were ready to wrap up by 9.45. One car had fialed to reach us and had dropped out. It was a Bhutan Team from Kuensel. They had burned out their clutch and would be towed. As we left at the end of the convoy we saw the route the rally had taken. It was a classic route with enough sand to raise a storm in the cars wake. I will let the pictures do the talking here.
Attached Thumbnails
3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-025.jpg  

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-027.jpg  

Old 14th April 2010, 21:04   #159
Senior - BHPian

Soon the entire convoy came to a standstill. The reason was that the No.32 which was being towed by Mr Sarkaar in his Tavera got hopelessly stuck. Even the recovery vehicle had got bogged down. It was then decieded that instead of the tavera (the original recovery car) the esteem would be towed by the Pajero (the safety car). Mr Sarkaar was not getting enough capable hands to ensure a proper tow so I had to walk to the spot and then get down and dirty in that sand to get the things moving again.
Attached Thumbnails
3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-031.jpg  

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-029.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 15th April 2010, 10:39   #160
BHPian

This is fantastic stuff. Thanks for posting the videos.

We as participants, do not always realize the amount of effort and hard work that goes in running a rally of this magnitude and complexity. Over 3 days, the marshal teams generally leave for their TCs in the wee hours of the morning. In rallyies like Indo-Bhutan, Desert and Raid, you man your TCs in some of the most difficult terrains and environments.

We crossed the sand bank carefully and without much drama. Didn't knew that cars were getting stuck there.

I am sure you must be having more videos. Your TC position on day 3 was very interesting. Would like to see how the other cars managed that area. In case you have any of mine, please share them.

Thanks again and looking for more great stuff from you.
Old 15th April 2010, 12:48   #161
Senior - BHPian

Saurabh thanks for appreciating the effort man. Yes I ahve your videos and others too for each and every day. Will be posting them as I go along. I will even add your videos mto the cd/dvd that I will get from DD for your record.
Old 16th April 2010, 11:51   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
.. I will even add your videos mto the cd/dvd that I will get from DD for your record.
That will be fantastic Sir. Your videos are giving an insight that no one else could provide, not even the DD coverage. Having these videos in the CD/DVD will make it an enviable collection.

I know I am asking too much, but, since you will be copying your videos in the CD/DVD, can you please copy all the videos that you have, instead of mine alone (if space permits)?
Old 17th April 2010, 23:24   #163
Senior - BHPian

@Saurabh: Will do so. Ill get you one from DD. Rest Ill make one dvd of our videos. No issues.

After continuing the sandy track for another few kms we hit the main road. The tow was ended here and we were free to push into P'hling. From Teesta Barrage onwards we were joined by another Marshall team comprising TJ and Bappi da. We were to stay together for the erst of the rally and what men they were especially TJ who had only request to make of me. Please stop for snacks and drinks on a timely basis and not let them fast. And I did my best to stop at the first good shops I could see enroute to have Tea and assorted snacks.
Finally we made it to P'shling. Here are a few snaps of our first few minutes in the parking there before we went to our Hotel.
The last picture shows team bhp's full participation. The rally team of Saurabh and Joseph and the Marshall Team of Vikram and SP.
Attached Images

Old 20th April 2010, 10:53   #164
Senior - BHPian

The stay at p'holing was quite an eye opener. Just a gate separated two entirely different worlds. One was serene, quiet, neat and the other was wild, chaotic, dirty and smelly. We did venture out into Jaigaon for a brief stroll and then walked straight back into Bhutan. The rally caps and dress served as a diplomatic immunity kind of thing in Bhutan and everywhere and everyone helped you without batting an eyelid.
We did some shopping and paid a visit to the only centrally situated temple. The dinner was hosted at the Indian CG office compound. Pictures to follow later today.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:26   #165
BHPian

You are absolutely right, WandererNomad. Jaigaon was filthy and chaotic to say the least, while P'ling was just the opposite. The free service offered by Zimdra Automobiles (Maruti Dealer in Bhutan) was a very nice gesture as well. I got my car checked (under carriage) and cleaned by them at their service center. The car looked squeaking clean at the next day's starting line.

Late evening, I was with my car, getting it attended to by our service team. They arrived at 8pm after attending to one of the car's which had a broken gearbox. Black Hawk's power steering had failed and the gear shift had also become very tight. Getting these repaired took some time and we missed the dinner invitation at the Indian CG. We did have dinner at our hotel later and the food was quite decent.