Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 20th April 2010, 23:25   #166
Senior - BHPian

Now for some pictures.
1. The central Temple in the town.
2. Dinner with the Bhutanese Ambassador to India and the Rally Officials.
3. With the chief recovery officer, Mr Sarkaar.
4. The hotel room.

Though the dinner was nothing to write home about it did fill our stomachs. We were told that the ETD tomorrow morning was going to be 5 am sharp, hence we hurried back to our rooms to catch up some sleep as tomorrow promised ot be another long day.
Attached Images

wanderernomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 21:48   #167
Senior - BHPian

Day two had us out of our beds by 4.30 am and we were ready to roll by 5. It was still dark as we made our way to the Central Dooars Tea Estate which was going to be our TC post for the day. Enroute we crossed a major river crossing which was going to be very tough especially for the esteems. The following pictures tell their own story.
1.& 2. The river route. Flags were put into small pedestals made of stones to show the way as it was a pretty wide river bank.
3.Scorpio at False dawn.
4. Day Break
5. The Marshall Team.
6.& 7. The lovely surroundings.
Attached Thumbnails
3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-041.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 22nd April 2010, 22:04   #168
Senior - BHPian

And after waiting there for about an hour the fun started. The cars rolled in one by one and the sound of the cars in that still early morning was pure bliss. We could hear them approaching from far and were ready for them to hit our TC.
Most of them skidded to a stop but the Bolero just went past like it had no breaks. The tyres were in lock and the behemoth just went gliding over loose sand and gravel to come to a stop a good 10 mtrs out of the check post.

Since this was a TSD format rally the time was of utmost importance here and hence the very important role of the navigator. A few of them did spot the TC in time to slow down enough for the navigators to calculate the time to hit the rope. Now the rules say 1. You cannot come to a complete stop before the TC 2. You cannot reverse. What do you do, then? You CRAWL.

Here is the video of our very own teambhp team of Saurabh and Joseph. Hope you guys like what I shot, as it was very difficult to multi task at the TC as the time was of essence. We could not afford giving you guys a wrong time even by a second and we could not afford either to miss the opportunity of watching you guys fly by.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 22nd April 2010 at 22:08.
Old 22nd April 2010, 22:38   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
3. With the chief recovery officer, Mr Sarkaar.
AFAIK the chief recovery officer is a bit touchy about how his name is spelled!

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:55   #170
Senior - BHPian

OK my apologies if I have got it wrong. Could you give the correct sequence of letters please?
Old 23rd April 2010, 23:15   #171
Senior - BHPian

One of the most important aspect of a TSD format rally is the time. Literally time is money. Since the TSD format stipulates that the normal traffic is not disrupted the drivers have to navigate the normal traffic conditions while sticking to their time allocations. In case of any genuine hindrance where the route gets blocked for a longer than normal duration and is in front of the TC, the Marshalls there have the discretion of giving a fresh start to the Car so stuck. This discretion is however very rarely and judiciously applied. Here at our TC we were faced with a similar situation where the car number 1 got stuck for a full 90 seconds or so due to a stupid police driver who despite our signs to clear the road stopped his truck right in the middle of a narrow dirt stretch and refused to budge on seeing the cars roaring towards him. He had to be shouted some choicest abuses for him to clear the road. Here watch this video and get an Idea what I mean.
Old 25th April 2010, 03:49   #172
BHPian

Excellent coverage on news & videos! I am much filled with more chunks of knowledge of the sport.

Keep it up!! Cheers!
tantragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 09:49   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OK my apologies if I have got it wrong. Could you give the correct sequence of letters please?
I think he prefers Sircar.

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 12:08   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the video of our very own teambhp team of Saurabh and Joseph. Hope you guys like what I shot, as it was very difficult to multi task at the TC as the time was of essence. We could not afford giving you guys a wrong time even by a second and we could not afford either to miss the opportunity of watching you guys fly by.
Thanks for sharing this video. We literally appeared considerably slower compared to the others.

If all the TCs had a video made out, just like you did, it would have been an excellent compilation.

Waiting for the rest of the pics and vids from you.
Saurabh M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 12:57   #175
Senior - BHPian

I was away for a week or so but now am back. Will start posting from today evening onwards. I have also fixed up this friday with the DD guys to pick up the cd. Will make copies over the weekend and add mine and courier to you next week or so. You need to PM me your address for the delivery @Saurabh.
Old 7th May 2010, 23:49   #176
Senior - BHPian

Finally after finishing up we started rolling towards Gelephu our todays pit stop. As usual we picked up TJ da and his team and rolled ahead in a convoy. This time we even had the CRO's tavera with us and he had the route tulip. We were to follow some regional bye roads to hit the main road around Alipurdwar. But after going through some of the worst roads what do we find?
The CRO has lost his way with the TULIP and we are headed straight into a town where a bandh has been called. WE turn back and take the tulip from the CRO and start leading the Convoy now. Soon we back on the right track without any major happenings and every one is so relieved that we stop to destress together. LOL.
Thereafter the convoy continued and entered Gelephu at around 1500 hrs. We all assembled at the Big Ground which was beautifully decorated. It was going to be the venue for the celebrations later today evening. I took a look around to see that most of the cars had suffered during this stretch and had major works to be attended to. The last 40 kms to Gelephu were pure torture and we named this stretch as the RTO stretch. (Rape the Officials). The road, if it could be called one, would put any Lunar or Martian landscape into an identity crisis. The only presence of Khakhi along the road at regular intervals gave any pointers that we were indeed still on Mother Earth.
Now for the pictures:-
1 & 2 Srirampur Bazaar
3 The convoy heading towards Gelephu.
4 The stress relieving moment
5 Reception Ground Gelephu
6 & 9 The cars
7 & 8 The damage report.
10 Team bhp standing proud.
Attached Images

Old 8th May 2010, 00:42   #177
BHPian

Saurabh, I think I saw your name your name in the Dakshin Dare 2010 (Motorsports Inc, office). Are you doing it? Would be very happy to meet you fellow bhpians'. In fact I am competing in the 2w category!
tantragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 12:28   #178
Senior - BHPian

there are 3 Saurabhs from the Kolkata rally circuit namely, Saurabh Mitra (Saurabh M on Team BHP), Sourabh Choudhury (short, bald guy - drives a yellow cedia), Saurabh Chatterjee (Mahakash on Team BHP)
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 20:27   #179
BHPian

Thats right @planet. Its not me. Its Sourabh Chaudhuri, who is participating in Dakshin Dare 2010.

Too many Sa(o)ura(v)bh's in the local rally circuit.
Saurabh M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 23:04   #180
Senior - BHPian

We went to our allotted guest house to park our luggage. The rough route had taken its toll on the scorpio and the wheel allignment was gone besides loosing a few bolts from the engine protection guard. The white had turned to grey and we needed to wash the scorpio for tomorrows grand entry into Thimpu. We met a lot fellow participants in the garage and while the cars were being attended to we shared tidbits and discussed the highs and lows of the day.
Later we went back to our rooms to freshen up and get back to the ground for dinner, dance and sips of various liquids for our parched throats. (Mods I hope I have moderated it enough!!). Here are a few pictures and videos of the festivities.
Attached Thumbnails
3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-075.jpg  

3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010-077.jpg